The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Problem with my strike master Magnum  (Read 3723 times)

Offline JMQ3

• IceShanty Rookie
Problem with my strike master Magnum
« on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:07 PM »
 >:( I received a Magnum for Christmas and have had it out four times on the ice. All four times after 6-8 holes it conks out and wont start again until it sits for 3-4 hours.  I ve tried loosening the gas cap adjusting the carb, New gas, changed plugs everything, Nothing has helped. I don't want to wast 4 weeks of the season sending in for repairs I am hoping someone has had a similar problem and can point me to the culprit as I don't have a backup or the cash to buy one.     

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
Re: Problem with my strike master Magnum
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Always a good idea to call the manufacturer they might be able to help you over the phone.

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2011, 11:17 AM »
I'm just spit-balling here but make a checklist of everything that is easy-access you can check::

air filter ?
throttle cable ?
fuel lines ?
carb intake and cleaning ?
take an airhose to the gas tank outlet ?

Not sure what else to check, I mean it could be a handful of things. Maybe run some sort of additive through the gas to clean the engine? Was it a brand new auger when you bought it?
Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. ~Bill Hicks

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2011, 12:33 PM »
call Strikemaster! their customer service rocks!!!!

Phone: 763.263.8999
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2011, 11:44 PM »
it sounds to me that it may have a faulty vent on the cap,if it lets you cut a few holes and then dies out,first off how thick is the ice,things to check,make sure the vent in the cap is good make sure you dont have a kinked fuel line and make sure your fuel lines are tight,and be certain the gas your useing is good,if a gas can is left outside over time you will have problems with bad gas so use a oil that has stabilizer in it or add some if it doesnt its worth it

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Possibly a bad coil.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:28 AM »
Like others said, check gas mix, vent, fuel delivery. Good luck!

Offline clamyukon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:49 AM »
i bought my magnum this year to no problems but when im out on the lake and its about 20degrees it takes me like 40 pulls to start it ya it starts frist pull when its been siting in the basement for two weeks but it was warm down there but i like it

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2011, 05:15 PM »
How hard are you pushing down on the auger, I know if I start getting in a hurry to cut the holes, It will either tap out mid hole or when I'm walking to another hole, as long as I don't over work her, she's good to me.
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2011, 07:00 PM »
JMQ, Just curious if you figured out your problem. I had an issue with my auger today. Drilled about 8-10 holes, and shut it off. I went to drill a couple more holes, and it was tough to start. When it did , I let it warm up. I went to drill a hole, and when I pressed the throttle, I seemed to lose power. Anybody got any ideas? It's a new (about three weeks) auger.  ed

Offline 300_wsm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2011, 02:12 PM »
same thing happened to me sunday at the walker lake tourney. just bought this auger after xmas. i drilled about 30 holes no problem then we moved a bit, went to drill a hole pushed the throttle down and the auger wouldnt spin. checked everything looked ok to me. started it up pushed the throttle down and nothing!!! ??? let it go a little while started it and it started drilling but seemed to not be at full power and would bog down a little bit then run like heck and then bog down again.  ??? ???

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:21 PM »
same thing happened to me sunday at the walker lake tourney. just bought this auger after xmas. i drilled about 30 holes no problem then we moved a bit, went to drill a hole pushed the throttle down and the auger wouldnt spin. checked everything looked ok to me. started it up pushed the throttle down and nothing!!! ??? let it go a little while started it and it started drilling but seemed to not be at full power and would bog down a little bit then run like heck and then bog down again.  ??? ???

This happened to my first auger,(after it got flipped over in the sled going 20 MPH, never even drilled a hole with it) Not sure if it'll help, but I believe I vagly remember something about keeping the hose in the gas tank out of the gas, or in it, I really have no idea, just something to try.
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline 300_wsm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:13 PM »
hey thanks ill try anything before i send it back and waste the last few weeks of ice season!!!

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2011, 10:26 PM »
300 WSM - I called Strikemaster today. From what I explained to them they thought it could possibly be a carb issue. But, he really thought that it was a vent issue. He told me if I had the same problems, crack the gas cap a bit, to see if that solves the problem. If it does, you'll know the engine is not getting enough gas. It very well could have been caused y moisture. I guess this problem can be either a weather related issue, or mechanical. They can replace the vent pretty easily as well (I'm told). 

Offline 300_wsm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:38 AM »
so what are they telling you to do about it??

Offline ex-28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:42 AM »
wish the results were posted here , i hav ethe same problem , drill a hole it bogged out and will not start , i hav checked everything , here is spark , vent it ok , no kinked lines, throttle is good , switch is working , mixture is good as well , gas is getting to the bowl, but cant get it to start mines a lazer pro
Looking for some company ?

email/Msn: [email protected]
Yahoo: Digger106868
Phone/text: 296-7071
Blackberry Pin: 232D22B

Marcum lx3 Flasher
Eskimo Quick Fish 3
Normark Swedish Ice Auger & Drill Adaptor
i'm usually free most of the time !

Offline Young Blood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:19 AM »
300 WSM - I called Strikemaster today. From what I explained to them they thought it could possibly be a carb issue. But, he really thought that it was a vent issue. He told me if I had the same problems, crack the gas cap a bit, to see if that solves the problem. If it does, you'll know the engine is not getting enough gas. It very well could have been caused y moisture. I guess this problem can be either a weather related issue, or mechanical. They can replace the vent pretty easily as well (I'm told).

Hey eddie spaghetti. I know this is an old thread but I was curious if you or anyone else has tried cracking the gas cap and if it worked. My strikemaster is doing the same dang things as you and others have described here. Thanks!
Keep the Faith

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.