The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: POWER ICE AURGER?  (Read 10980 times)

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: POWER ICE AURGER?
« Reply #60 on: Sep 12, 2009, 06:29 PM »
No difference between this and if it was a 10 acre bad patch of ice that skimmed over with fresh snow on it.
A spud will go through the bad ice, the chances of the spud hitting the skun hole is slim.

I've seen it down here where you couldn't see the old holes period. Guys clean there holes and the temps get over freezing during the day and flatten everything out. Powder over it and you can't see them. 6"-8" of fresh snow fills in whats underneath. Don't have a choice but to walk down here.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #61 on: Sep 12, 2009, 09:41 PM »
I guess I'll just agree to disagree with you on this and leave it at that.  If all you can do is walk where you are, then why are people even using power augers?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Sep 13, 2009, 11:23 AM »
Most lakes are small and they are state parks so sleds, atvs and vehicles are not allowed on the ice. The ice can still get thick some winters (20") with a cold spell in the higher elevations. The weather can fluctuate quite a bit throughout the season, never know when rain is going to come. I can see why someone would want a 10" auger up north but down here theres no need for anything bigger than an 8" hole. An 8" hole will get pretty much any fish thru around here except maybe a monster carp, but if you lose a carp at the hole who cares. I've seen lots of guys haul out a big power auger to drill holes in 8" of ice only to pull lousey little 9" trout out all day.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #63 on: Sep 13, 2009, 03:28 PM »
Most lakes are small and they are state parks so sleds, atvs and vehicles are not allowed on the ice. The ice can still get thick some winters (20") with a cold spell in the higher elevations. The weather can fluctuate quite a bit throughout the season, never know when rain is going to come. I can see why someone would want a 10" auger up north but down here theres no need for anything bigger than an 8" hole. An 8" hole will get pretty much any fish thru around here except maybe a monster carp, but if you lose a carp at the hole who cares. I've seen lots of guys haul out a big power auger to drill holes in 8" of ice only to pull lousey little 9" trout out all day.

Which state are you in that you can't drive onto a lake?  Even here in wisconsin, unless there is a local ordinance that prohibits driving on the lake (Madison area... there's a couple others I can't remember off hand)  there's no rules against it, even in state parks.  I've driven onto a lake in one of the most popular state parks in Wisconsin (devils lake) and the DNR didn't look twice at it.  A buddy of mine got pinched though for riding an unregistered ATV, but driving the ATV on the state park lake wasn't a problem.  Seems fishy to me that it's prohibited unless these lakes are all no-wake no motor lakes.

If you put a vehicle through though, there's laws that state you've got a limited time to get it out at your own expense.  And it gets really expensive to do it.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Sep 13, 2009, 05:25 PM »
I'm in PA. Most of the state parks, DCNR, PFBC or local run lakes are under 250 acres (mostly trolling motor only) but some are larger and still don't allow atvs, sleds or cars on the ice. You can run ATVs and sleds (maybe cars) on wallenpaupack in NE PA but thats a big lake (over 5,ooo acres) and you have to watch the ice as it varies a lot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.