The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Icegator Attacker Review ........  (Read 69456 times)

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Icegator Attacker Review ........
« Reply #60 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:48 PM »
I wonder if they will have the Li-ion batteries at some point...unless they don't work as good in the cold....

Offline lostfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Oct 29, 2009, 01:59 PM »
Still waiting for a 10" model. It will probably need a bit more battery and weigh more but I would still buy one.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Oct 29, 2009, 02:04 PM »
There is a lithium-ion pack available this year but it is very expensive because they have to order them one at a time as customers order them. They have found a company that is going to mass produce them for them next season and they will be much cheaper because they will be able to order them in bulk. 1/4 the weight and twice the charge. I spoke to the owner on Oct. 13th when I placed my order. I'm hoping by the time I need new batteries the lithium-ion set up will be even cheaper still.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #63 on: Oct 29, 2009, 02:28 PM »
So - the deal is that if you buy a current model IceGator with SLA Batteries, you can replace them with the new LI pack later?  Same gearhead and all?  How about the 10" model?

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Oct 29, 2009, 02:31 PM »
He didn't say anything about a 10" model but the new models have a new motor and 9ah batteries. They are doing away with the 12ah setup and the lithium-ion batteries will plug right into the 9ah setup.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #65 on: Nov 03, 2009, 07:32 AM »
He didn't say anything about a 10" model but the new models have a new motor and 9ah batteries. They are doing away with the 12ah setup and the lithium-ion batteries will plug right into the 9ah setup.

Nice - now for the 10" model.  Nils needs to design and build a 10" auger.  ;D

Offline icinfool88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Nov 23, 2009, 02:35 PM »
Has anyone received their Icegator AttackerII?  I have read somewhere that the first ones were to be shipped mid-November. 
//i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/hankthecrank/NebraskaLogo_1.gif

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Nov 23, 2009, 02:55 PM »
No word yet. I can't wait to see it in person. I've been going to the fish 307 site to see it. Everyone here has been telling me I won't be disappionted.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Nov 23, 2009, 06:24 PM »
No I didn't, they are very expensive at this point. The price should go down next season, and I figure by the time I burn up these batteries in a few seasons they may be even cheaper. The extra weight doesn't bother me so much I'm a pretty big guy and if I can drag 200lbs of dead deer a mile plus a little extra weight on the ice isn't so bad.

Offline Caseman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Nov 24, 2009, 06:45 PM »
I just got an email from Greg saying that I wont get my gator until sometime in December.
He said they are waiting for parts for the battery pack.

I placed my order on the 12th of October.    And I was told the middle of november my unit would ship.
I hope they dont keep pushing it back.

Offline Caseman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Nov 25, 2009, 06:22 AM »
I am not that mad about having to wait.   I am sure it will be well worth the wait.
But If others that didnt order it as early as I start getting them before I get mine.  Then I will be .

What retail outlets are they at??

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #71 on: Nov 25, 2009, 11:32 AM »
I am not that mad about having to wait.   I am sure it will be well worth the wait.
But If others that didnt order it as early as I start getting them before I get mine.  Then I will be .

What retail outlets are they at??

I have not seen them in any stores. Was willing to travel to see one to purchase, up to 100 miles, but all I found was one guy who had one to look at and then he would order it for me. After weeks of searching I ordered it from Icegator direct. Used it the last part of last season, was worth the wait. ;D ;D
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #72 on: Nov 25, 2009, 01:18 PM »

Offline raptor777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Nov 25, 2009, 10:36 PM »
So all of those dealers currently have new Gators in stock?  Wow.
I don't think so, I think that those are the places that normally sell them.  I ordered one last week and was told that the first wave (probably most of you guys) would ship the end of this month.  Mine is supposed to be in the second wave and is expected to ship mid-December.  Sounds like they are waiting on a part and will be ready to roll.  Hopefully we'll all see em before the hard water gets here.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Nov 30, 2009, 12:59 PM »
I called the dealers close to me and they did not stock Gators. They all told me that they would order one for me. I thought I could do that, and ordered it myself. Like I said, I wanted to hold one first before I took out my money. You guys that are waiting, I feel your pain, but it will be worth the wait, believe me!!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #75 on: Nov 30, 2009, 01:34 PM »
I called the dealers close to me and they did not stock Gators. They all told me that they would order one for me. I thought I could do that, and ordered it myself. Like I said, I wanted to hold one first before I took out my money. You guys that are waiting, I feel your pain, but it will be worth the wait, believe me!!!
Got that exact response when I called Fish307 this past Friday.  No guarantee of shipment date though.  It's pretty hard to place an order for something that doesn't exist yet.  IMO.

How about some official word from Gater here?

I'll place an order when I know what the ship date is.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #76 on: Nov 30, 2009, 04:56 PM »

The last I spoke with Greg it was a problem with a supplier. Originally everything was set for the beginning of November but it now looks to be mid December.
Those who are brave are free ..

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #77 on: Dec 01, 2009, 10:43 AM »
I had an email exchange with Greg yesterday - I placed an order this am.  He indicated he'd be shipping next week.   ;D

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #78 on: Dec 03, 2009, 01:28 PM »
Spoke with both Greg and Dee at Icegator today, very nice people. Greg was very informative and answered all of my questions thouroughly. I jumped on-line and placed my order....WOOHOOO!!!! Can't wait for this season ;D ;D.....WK

Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #79 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:56 AM »
Well, I've had my new AttackerII, with 8 inch Nils auger (power version), for almost a week and have had three outings with it.  It would be difficult to say enough good stuff about this auger.  "It's one cutting machine"!  Saturday I went out with a group of five, 9" of clear black ice, drilled 30+ holes for tip-ups and jigging.  An hour or so later I thought I would see about running the batteries down on the Gator. Ha, I drilled 50+ more holes with no signs of the Gator slowing down and gave up the quest.  I'm sure it would quit, but the performance is way beyond my expectations and I know it will give everything, and more, than I ever want from a power auger.
I was a diehard Jiffy 30 owner/user and will keep one of my old Jiffy 30s around just to have and run now and then, for old times sake.
But - no more mixing or spilled gas, smelly hands, pulling little ropes, warming up the engine, etc.  I can have 5 holes drilled before the Jiffy is running and has one hole punched!
I have the same satisfaction from the 8" Nils auger, it's one great auger!

I'll be in line for a Li battery pack when my SLA pack gives up, in 4 or 5 years.

Thanks, Greg and Dee, for a well designed and manufactured product; and for for outstanding customer service.

It is a rare thing when you get to own and use a product that is this good, in this day and age.

Phil

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #80 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:51 AM »
another convert!   told ya so!   we all at one time tried and gave up to kill the batteries lol     see it isnt just me!   Was worth the wait right!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #81 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:10 AM »
another convert!   told ya so!   we all at one time tried and gave up to kill the batteries lol     see it isnt just me!   Was worth the wait right!
Absolutely.  Even-though I hate to have to agree with a Maineanite  ;)  It was, principally, your guys insistence that got me over there.  Actually, the one big thing, for me; is NO GASOLINE and the possible ill-effects it has on fishing.

Offline stout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Like any other battery you must try and drain them as much as you can or make them dead then recharge it to get the most life out of them. I learned the hard way on a couple things until i read the directions hopefully it is the same for the 12 volts?!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #83 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:46 PM »
Like any other battery you must try and drain them as much as you can or make them dead then recharge it to get the most life out of them. I learned the hard way on a couple things until i read the directions hopefully it is the same for the 12 volts?!
I do not think that is true - especially for lead acid batteries.  Draining a lead acid battery to the state of DEAD is bad.  There is no "memory effect" on lead acid batteries.
Somewhere on this site is a good battery maintenance tutorial.
Here is one I found that definitely recommends against "deep discharges".  http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-35.htm

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:40 PM »
Bzzzz wrong awnser!   charge them after each use   Im on my 3rd year now   dead battery   kills it    never let a lead acid drop below at  the most 50% charge!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:38 AM »
Bzzzz wrong awnser!   charge them after each use   Im on my 3rd year now   dead battery   kills it    never let a lead acid drop below at  the most 50% charge!
Yep!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 24, 2010, 01:28 PM »

I am pretty sure a 12vdc lead acid battery is considered drained when they reach 10.5 vdc.
Don

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 24, 2010, 01:54 PM »
Lonewolf, I see your gator has 12amp/hour batteries but now they have 9 amp hour batteries.  I am sure these will not cut as many holes as the 12AH ones, but they will be lighter and cheaper to replace. 

you got any insight on this?
Don

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #88 on: Jan 24, 2010, 02:01 PM »
12 ah batterys were an option in the first 2 years   they replaced the original motors with ones that pull less amps  there by making no need for 12 ah batteries   alot of the time I still use the 9 ah batteries for short day trips

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #89 on: Jan 28, 2010, 04:34 PM »
Lonewolf, I see your gator has 12amp/hour batteries but now they have 9 amp hour batteries.  I am sure these will not cut as many holes as the 12AH ones, but they will be lighter and cheaper to replace. 

you got any insight on this?

Greg has redesigned the motor,  as Mainhsmt stated, and it now draws less amperage. By doing this it can now do roughly the same amount of holes with 9 ah as it did with the 12 ah batteries.
As for lighter it isn't unless you go for the Lion battery pack. As for cheaper .. yes the 9 ah are cheaper than the 12 ah.

Those who are brave are free ..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.