Author Topic: Sled question  (Read 5737 times)

Jam_Jam

Sled question
« on: Nov 07, 2003, 02:07 PM »
I'm looking at a sled like this to put my 90lb shanty on to pull on the ice....  http://www.aginfonet.com/aglibrary/content/sk_abilities/calf_sled.html

I think it'd be good because it'll be strong and ride above all but the deepest snow and push very little.  I've thought about having one fabricated but it may be cheaper if there is already something like it commercially made for some purpose or other...anyone aware of a product like this.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:Sled question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2003, 02:20 PM »
to me that sled looks like a one of a kind thing. I will tell you one thing, it sure looks like it would work for on the hard water. maybe a little wider to stabilize it. just my 2 cents.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Jam_Jam

« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2003, 02:26 PM »
Yeah that'd be the nice thing about getting it fabricated myself.  I could size it for my needs and size will be important for stability given the dimensions of what I'll be putting on top.  I think it'd really slice through the snow and ride effortlessly on bare ice even with alot of weight.

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2003, 02:42 PM »
I would be afraid of it tipping??? Might be a little top heavy??
Thats from an engineering standpoint.... ;D
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

kjay

« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2003, 03:08 PM »
Hey boys... i Know for a fact that it is not good on slushy or ice where it is only a top layer over the snow. It isnt a bad idea, but i would probably get something a bit wider to put on the bottom. Like the white stuff on th step getting into a hockey rink. But would be cheaper to make your self. Than to purchase.

KJay

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2003, 05:31 PM »

Its a good thing they didnt have those things out when my 2 boys were toddlers, they would have been forced to go out ice fishing with Dad whether they wanted to or not. They would have looked soooo cute all bundled up in snowsuit sitting in that thing.  ROFL

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2003, 07:14 PM »
I don't know what kind of ice sled it would make, but it sure cracks me up visualizing a cow being pulled along in that thing...Mooing helplessly..LOL
I'm not a farmer but why the heck would anyone ever do that?

AdkGuidesForHire

« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2003, 07:28 PM »
because calves don't walk.

picture that little guy in your photo being 90 pounds, you're not going to want to carry that much or far, now cover it with cow flop... sled looking good yet? ;D

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2003, 07:31 PM »
Nope, looks funnier with a cow..

AdkGuidesForHire

« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2003, 08:01 PM »
wait til you see it on the ice with a cow! ;D

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2003, 08:45 PM »
I made one last year and put a cago box on it. I made it out of 1/2" conduit, real simple just cut the pieces and smash the ends in a vise and weld it. The tow bar in the pic is pivoted back, I used 3/4" conduit that sliped over the 1/2" to make like a hinge. Total cost less than 20 bucks. You can make it any size you want, or height.

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2003, 09:02 PM »
Here is a pic with the box on it. Inside is a Shappell shanty and all my gear.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2003, 08:33 AM »
Hey kenelz that is a cool design!!  Ive been trying to think of something to put my clam, gas auger, and other equiptment on to ease the transporting process myself.  The only difference is Im on foot!

Nice sled by the way!
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2003, 08:35 AM »
hey shwung79. you can always put a trailer hitch on your belt.haha.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

mngonefishing

« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2003, 03:03 PM »
kenelz,
nice sled :o
we made one like it. how tall did you make it. we had to add a few inches to ours. it was pushing the snow to much. if i had to do it all over again. i would place the runners no wider then my sled's ski's.

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2003, 08:53 PM »
MN, your right it should have been taller, this is 5", and if you made it the the same width as your skis, it would pull easier. These are things you learn after you build it.
Schwung, this pulled really easy by hand before I put the box on, its very light weight. I made the box out of ½" plywood,which is too heavy. If you want something for pulling by hand, use expanded metal to make the box out of. Here is a pic of a expanded metal box I bungeed on the top of the Shappel to keep my stuff from falling off when pulling by hand.

mngonefishing

« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2003, 11:43 AM »
Kenelz
that a great idea? i was looking at building a smaller ice house this yr for my self. I have a 8x16 now but i was looking at an 8x8. decided not to go that way. i am just going to keep using the portable when i go out by my self. I decided to get a new sled instead  ;D I have looked at some of the new 4 strokes but am still undecided.

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2003, 07:18 PM »
Good luck on your new sled purchase. The Yamaha has a really great 4 stroker, and the new Skidoos have a new engine they claim is as clean as a 4 stroker. I have an Artic cat and a Polaris myself. They all make great sleds, there is some really good deals right now on last years left over new models.

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2003, 07:23 PM »
Jam Jam, last year on this forum someone used water skis that they picked up at a garage sale to put under their shanty for deep snow. The water skis are wider and keep things on top the snow.

Jam_Jam

« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2003, 10:06 AM »
I was just thinking I'd like something that rides/glides like its on skates and cuts through the snow because this will be for helping pull my 90lb foldable shanty by hand when I can't drive on.  Anything that does any plowing will make it pretty darn tough to pull in the snow with that kind of weight.  I thought this unit would ride above the snow push very little and have little contact area on the ice so it should glide well.  I could have skis put on the bottom if necessary but in my case I don't think it will be.  In the area I fish we usually have a solid ice surface and if there is snow it is not slushing but usually pretty powdery.  My only problem is that I don't weld and it'll cost too much if I have a professional do it:(  I love that custom sled Kenelz if only it were a bit higher it'd be perfect!  Ohhhh to be a welder:)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.