Author Topic: BEST ICE FISHING ELECTRONICS  (Read 4966 times)

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: BEST ICE FISHING ELECTRONICS
« Reply #30 on: Dec 09, 2021, 01:07 PM »
I started years ago with the old Vex FL8, and it didn't take long before I went to a little Lowrance graph, then a H-Bird with GPS, then Marcum LX-9 which I still love, then Marcum RT-9, now Garmin Livescope and Panoptix. Obviously I love the tech stuff, hell I still have a lot of those units. The difference in the amount of fish we catch now and back then is amazing. Livescope and video can teach you so much about how fish react to structure, and pressure and bait presentation. We pack a lot of stuff, but it has dramatically increased our enjoyment on the ice. We catch and release almost everything, but man it's fun!   

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 10, 2021, 10:33 AM »
Oh my bad Ken I was talking lvs32 livescope.

Jon - does the GT10 work well in deep water?  At 8 degrees I'm assuming it is?
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #32 on: Dec 11, 2021, 07:28 AM »
Oh my bad Ken I was talking lvs32 livescope.

LOL no worries my Jon,  Im not fancy like you with the livescope yet  ;D

The GT10 works very well in deep water for me, I can go from 7 to 16 degrees on my cone angle. I believe the GT8 is more for shallow water applications from what I have read.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 11, 2021, 08:53 AM »
The GT10 works very well in deep water for me, I can go from 7 to 16 degrees on my cone angle. I believe the GT8 is more for shallow water applications from what I have read.

Thanks!
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 11, 2021, 09:24 AM »
Personally, I would rather use the 8 in deep water to see what’s under me. Not sure what “deep” means to you.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 11, 2021, 11:43 AM »
I’ve used my Helix 7 for 3 full seasons!! Will never go back to my Marcum LX5, which is a great unit, but doesn’t compare to the Helix 7. I love the options, graphs, GPS, ability to fish deep water, 60+ for Lake Trout, ability to mark waypoints and that I can also use it in the summer time.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Dec 13, 2021, 02:38 PM »

Yes I use the normal ducer in the boat along side livescope.  For what its worth deep to me is 100 plus.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2021, 02:40 PM »
Personally, I would rather use the 8 in deep water to see what’s under me. Not sure what “deep” means to you.

Deep for me is over 50 feet of water.

I like the GT10 for the versatility it gives me. I have a variety of cone angles that will give me more options if I wanna see more of what's "around" me. At 60 feet with 10 degree CHIRP I get roughly a 10 or 11 foot cone

I am not sure if the GT8 offers anything more than the GT10 does as far as functionality, is it a set cone angle or can you adjust like the GT10?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 13, 2021, 02:42 PM »
I have used a Hummingbird Ice 55 for about 7 years now.  Very dependable flasher and all one really needs.  They run about $500.  If I were to be totally honest though, knowing what I know now, I would save a hundred bucks and get the Ice 45.  It has all of the functions of the 55 but has fewer color bands.  Last I knew the fish really didn't mind what color the bands were on a flasher, lol.

I have the 45, awesome unit.  All you really need in a flasher

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 13, 2021, 05:23 PM »
I am not sure if the GT8 offers anything more than the GT10 does as far as functionality, is it a set cone angle or can you adjust like the GT10?

The cone angle for the GT8 can be set anywhere between 16 and 24 degrees in one degree increments.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 15, 2021, 07:35 PM »
Goodmorning Iceaholics ,
I am in need of help deciding my next electronic for ice fishing ! I have a few units in mind but i am currently on the FL18 Pro pack . Is there any need for me to upgrade and go for the Helix 7 or Garmin 73CV?
I have a specific budget of spending less than 800$ on the unit .
Any and all help will be appreciated ! Thank you!
Located in the Midwest
Chicago Region

I just picked up the FLX30BB at bass pro online for 750… it’s a prett wicked unit man with the broadband transducer. I’m excited to rock this thing this season. If you like you Flx18, even stepping into the 28 is a game changer.
Be well and DO Good Work!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.