Author Topic: Smitty sled. Push vs pull.  (Read 2473 times)

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
Smitty sled. Push vs pull.
« on: Nov 22, 2021, 11:34 AM »
 I've seen a few builds that say pushing a smitty sled is easier than pulling. Do you push or pull?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Smitty sled. Push vs pull.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2021, 12:45 PM »
I'd forgot about that. But feel free to comment.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2021, 08:04 PM »
I've been pulling, I still would like to try pushing but have not made anything to do so.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2021, 04:59 AM »
This is good stuff right here. Imagine a dog sled team pushing a sled or a semi truck pushing his trailer. A snowmobile pushing a jet sled. Thank you sir.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2021, 05:20 AM »
https://www.vedantu.com/question-answer/explain-why-pulling-is-easier-than-pushing-with-class-11-physics-cbse-5fdb5dd79f633c04d656a30d

Pulling with rope in my hands...good. Wrapping rope around my waist...better. Using my tree stand harness...best.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2021, 06:51 AM »
 I saw the pushing concept many years ago and made a big handle for my Smitty and still have the rope up front as well if needed. With the sled on the skis it slides so easy on ice and most snow that I find it way easier on my back pushing.
 Saying that I have had times in light deep snow where the skis sink way down to the bottom that I will pull out the rope and pull it. Saying that I probably push 90% of the time and others with me that have tried it all agree no matter what the science says.
 I do think attaching it at the waist would be better than an arm pull where you are putting all the pull to one side of your body especially when fully loaded and a long haul.

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2021, 07:54 AM »
I have never had a push smitty but i did see a guy pushing a metal shopping cart with skis on it last year.really opened my eyes to see how easy it was pushing it loaded with gear.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2021, 05:32 PM »
Easier to pull, but do not use a short rope. You don't want to be constantly picking up the front of the sled with each stride, so be out in front of your sled atleast 12ft. 

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2021, 06:56 PM »
More friction when pushing because you are pushing down on the skis
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2021, 12:54 AM »
This is good stuff right here. Imagine a dog sled team pushing a sled or a semi truck pushing his trailer. A snowmobile pushing a jet sled. Thank you sir.

Your talking hinged and non ridged connections. Bad analogy.
Imagine pulling your grocery cart or lawn mower with a rope instead of pushing.
And, I’m not pushing down. I have a rope also, hardly ever use it. Certain situations/conditions/terrain.
With ridged push handle like a push mower, the maneuvering is great. Push down and pivot turn, like mower, pulling up positioning on holes, not bending over and picking up wet cold rope, lots of good stuff. AND, your eyes are on your stuff it’s not behind you. You see when something blows or falls out, not after your in the parking lot thinking where the duck is my whatever. Don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it. Your welcome Sir.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:46 AM »
https://www.vedantu.com/question-answer/explain-why-pulling-is-easier-than-pushing-with-class-11-physics-cbse-5fdb5dd79f633c04d656a30d

Pulling with rope in my hands...good. Wrapping rope around my waist...better. Using my tree stand harness...best.
Friend of mine was puling his shanty with rope wrapped around him and went through the ice only to have the shanty pushing his head under water while trying to get out because the rope kept getting taught and him not being able to get it from around him. crazy few minutes in 30' of water trying to slide another empty sled to him to pull him out. Think twice about attaching a potential anchor to yourself it was a crazy scene and we just got lucky getting him out.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2021, 09:09 AM »
I am 74 grizzled years old. Way out of shape. Despite the " science ", I find it way easier to push. Some of the younger guys that fish with me. Have noticed they call for a pause on a long trek before I do.

I still have rope attached for pulling. Some instances and conditions call for it. Going down a steep hill to get to the ice for instance.

I have had complete strangers come up to me on ice. They relate to me how much easier it is to pull the smitty. I ask have you ever tried pushing it. The answer is almost always no. In the field of human endeavors . It has always amazed me how almost 100 % of the human race will respond negatively to something they have never tried. Granted there are some obvious exceptions. Like telling your wife WHY she looks fat in that particular item of clothing.

Some of the younger amigos have adopted the push and yet some have not. So I guess personal taste has a lot to do with it. All I know is my back agrees with me. So I listen to it.

Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2021, 10:20 AM »
Spot on hays47.
I also have a bad back. Besides not doing the pulling motion, it’s just a nice feeling holding onto something solid.
Do I DARE say, Like a walker!
I hole hop all the time, I’m self contained in my jet sled so short jonts hole to holes and no rope to pick up or manage to hang is priceless. My handle folds forward flat onto jet sled and slides right into the back of my hatchback until next time. All climate controlled, out of sight from thieves when you go to the Pub, no hassle. Don’t need no stinking truck :)
A

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2021, 10:39 AM »
Be interesting to see the different kinds of handles people have made to push their sleds.

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2021, 11:07 AM »
I'm interested also. Any pushers got pic's of how you attached a handle. Give me some ideals.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2021, 12:29 PM »
I would think a small diameter PVC pipe ..bent/curved ..with holes on the ends and a bolt through the rear riser  long enough so the PVC pipe can slide through and have enough bolt as to not allow the pipe to pop out ..possibly a wing nut ..may work .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2021, 01:04 PM »

I’ve done it both ways I think pushing is easier , I placed 2 eye bolts in my smitty , I had a old roof shovel Handel I bent the ends and placed them in the eye bolts
 With hitch pins in the ends

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05:52 PM »
I've seen a few builds that say pushing a smitty sled is easier than pulling. Do you push or pull?

On clean ice, I push.

Otherwise it's a drag.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2021, 06:00 PM »
No wish to argue the merits-----I'm sure those who prefer pushing have good reasons to do so apart from any consideration of the force involved. To the guy who said he doesn't push down------if the handle you push on is higher than the attachment point on the sled then you are inevitably pushing down.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2021, 10:32 PM »
I have my 19 year old Nephew with me…I don’t care if he pushes or pulls.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2021, 11:50 PM »
When you push, you have the most control.  When you pull, well the sled sometimes goes where it wants to, and you be pulling it back in tow.  I have a sled pulling harness, and it's pretty easy.  I just don't lock back and say, where do you think you're going?  For the most part, I walk pretty straight, but the sled tracks sometimes says otherwise.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2021, 03:47 AM »

I would think it depends on the sled on the Smitty, My Trekker ll is 54" long and weighs 100+ lbs. I would think pushing it would be difficult.
         I'll stick to pulling.

IW

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2021, 10:05 AM »
Before and after. Now with handle, stop, slide sled back to hole/s sit and fish, no bending over. I’m about to make a bottomless sled. Just stand and walk/push, drill, position and sit. No more stepping in and out of sled. It’s the little things, I hole hop a lot! Then hit the holes on way back. I’ll just drop transducer then sit and fish then pull transducer and go.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2021, 11:17 AM »
This was an older configuration but it still applies. Note has push bar and rope . I normally do not take this heavy of a load. But tried one day with about four inches of snow on top of 8 inches of ice. This experiment convinced me that the push method was easier on my back.

Don't know if it weighed a 100 lb as another mentioned but it had to be close or over that.

Handle was made using tubular square aluminum. Handle slid over top had to use removable as SUV limited the height.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.