Author Topic: Lake Diefenbaker 2022-2023  (Read 19972 times)

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
Re: Lake Diefenbaker 2022-2023
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2023, 08:48 PM »
@SASKaGUY - solid 17” with minimal snow coverage. Trucks were all over the bay as of last weekend.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2023, 08:47 AM »
We put in a dawn to dusk effort yesterday, and things were slow. Our third spot finally yielded a half dozen walleye and a burbot as the day came to a close. The other anglers we talked to had similarly challenging days; a fish here and a fish there. The fog was an issue, but driving on the lake was a breeze. Fish were caught and everyone got home safely. Good day.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2023, 11:15 PM »
Anyone know how thick the ice is a the Elbow Harbor and what the snow/access is like?
Had probably 18-20 inches in the middle of the harbour last weekend.  Saw trucks out at the mouth and out into the main lake.  Can't speak to the thickness there though.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2023, 05:35 PM »
Ok to drive onto the north Coteau Bay at sandy shores and head west?

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2023, 07:52 PM »
The main boat launch has been cleared and is good to go.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2023, 08:03 PM »
Thanks a bunch

Offline AverageAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2023, 08:57 PM »
Have never fished the southern end of diefenbaker before but wanting to make the drive down there this weekend. Was thinking beaver flats area. Any tips?

Offline small-town-fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 01, 2023, 08:49 AM »
Good morning guys just thought I'd put a feeler out to how the fishing has been on coteau bay lately heading up for this weekend.
Small town fisher

Offline justdontgetskunked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2023, 09:12 AM »
I just want to say thanks again to the fisherman on Coteau Bay that let us borrow his auger yesterday when we were having issues with ours. My brother and I ice fish regularly but yesterday we brought out a couple family members who rarely ever get out on the ice. Of course, Murphy's Law kicks in and our auger doesn't want to work. So I drive back towards the boat launch where there are several people fishing and hope that some generous, trusting person would let me borrow their auger. Luckily I found one. I left my cell phone with him so he knew I wasn't going to take off with his nice Ion Alpha. I drilled our six holes, returned his auger and we had a fun day on the lake. Saw tons of small perch and a few nice walleye on camera but only a handful of eater size Perch ended up on the ice. Regardless of the slow fishing it was a great day thanks to the generous fisherman who let us use his auger. Thanks again. Maybe we need an Ion Alpha as well 😁

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:09 AM »
I just want to say thanks again to the fisherman on Coteau Bay that let us borrow his auger yesterday when we were having issues with ours. My brother and I ice fish regularly but yesterday we brought out a couple family members who rarely ever get out on the ice. Of course, Murphy's Law kicks in and our auger doesn't want to work. So I drive back towards the boat launch where there are several people fishing and hope that some generous, trusting person would let me borrow their auger. Luckily I found one. I left my cell phone with him so he knew I wasn't going to take off with his nice Ion Alpha. I drilled our six holes, returned his auger and we had a fun day on the lake. Saw tons of small perch and a few nice walleye on camera but only a handful of eater size Perch ended up on the ice. Regardless of the slow fishing it was a great day thanks to the generous fisherman who let us use his auger. Thanks again. Maybe we need an Ion Alpha as well 😁

Always great when you find a helpful human. I've been on both sides of auger issues, having my day saved and saving others day.

Offline stoonfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 07, 2023, 03:21 PM »
Just looking for some info on ice conditions around Elbow, especially after this warmer weather.  Wanting to head out Saturday/Sunday. 

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
« Reply #41 on: Feb 07, 2023, 06:34 PM »
Access at Elbow Harbour is good. Watch for hard drifts on the ice but you should be able to pick your way around them.

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2023, 07:55 AM »
I fished out of the Harbour yesterday ,fished 4 different areas and marked 4 fish in 6hrs ,very slow ,perch have disappeared, even the whites were not there , there is a burbot bite that starts around 5pm . Hope it picks up towards March. Drove in 2wd on the ice no problem getting around. And ice was a consistent 26" ++.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2023, 08:59 AM »
Is anyone familiar where the Pavillion is? heard through a friend that read and seen pics from someone on a Facebook page they broke though in multiple spots.. It had looked like the water level dropped below the ice level. Any one else experience or hear this? Photos on there were pretty creepy. Im not really sure how this would happen other than them allowing water through?

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
« Reply #44 on: Feb 08, 2023, 01:23 PM »
The Pavilion is the Visitor Information Center located right at the end of the Gardner Dam. Hollow spots like this occur annually because the lake feeds the South Saskatchewan river and the water level in the lake drops and leaves ice hung up near the shore.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 08, 2023, 01:37 PM »
You guys have any pictures? I was accessing the ice along the beach right by there a month ago. Vehicles went through?

Is there alternative access near there now?

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2023, 04:45 PM »
I do not, just seen them.. Im sure if you searched Facebook you can find them, they arent mine to share. Sounds like your able to get out as its near shore, still creepy in my opinion.

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2023, 08:09 AM »
Hatandboots if you have Facebook access check out the “Lake Diefenbaker” and Blackstrap” fishing groups. There are pictures posted as well as a video of the three trucks needed to pull the one out that had broken through.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 09, 2023, 09:24 AM »
Sheesh. That's scary. I was planning on camping out for burbot early March, now I'll be worried I'll wake up to a missing vehicle. I mean I imagine it would be worse near shore for sure. If the water level dropped the ice would drop with it presumably. We need some cold weather to help shore it up.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 13, 2023, 04:37 PM »
Has any one seen any signs of ice decay with this warmer weather?

Offline Dlzfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 13, 2023, 06:03 PM »
No signs of ice rotting at elbow on saturday. I think were still well cold enough to keep that at bay i wouldnt be concerned until we get like over +10 or its not freezing overnight.

Sure made for easy driving around with the snow gone. Just be aware of all the normal issues with late season dief ice.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 13, 2023, 09:32 PM »
The ice road is open at the Riverhurst ferry crossing, so the ice is in good shape. Now if the fish would cooperate a little more......
 I took advantage of that solid ice to try a few new spots on the west side of the lake. After six hours of playing "Where's Waldo", I only found one cooperative contestant. My flasher saved me from a skunking, as the walleye yo yoed up and down repeatedly before finally taking a solid chomp. Fishing blind under such conditions would be about as pointless as watching golf on TV.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 14, 2023, 04:49 PM »
No signs of ice rotting at elbow on saturday. I think were still well cold enough to keep that at bay i wouldnt be concerned until we get like over +10 or its not freezing overnight.

Sure made for easy driving around with the snow gone. Just be aware of all the normal issues with late season dief ice.

what would the normal issues be with late season dief..?!

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 19, 2023, 09:49 AM »
I'm looking forward to try the fish farm for the very first time. Wondering about the road access and parking there. I've been there once in open water years ago. Appreciate any update.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #54 on: Feb 20, 2023, 09:53 AM »
Made it out a couple of days ago hoping the fishing would be picking up with March right around the corner, but it was still slow.  Talked to a few others in the area and sounded like everyone else was having a similar experience.  Mid-afternoon I landed this pike, so I was happy to avoid the skunk.  :tipup:

Offline Slamhound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 23, 2023, 09:31 AM »
I’m going to throw this question out there PM me if you don’t want to talk about it lol. Just wondering if anyone has caught or heard about a lake trout being caught on Deif or when the last time one has been caught. Anything would be useful? I don’t need locations or anything I was just wondering Thanks
SLAMMMM!!!! nailed it 🐟

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 23, 2023, 10:07 AM »
 They are in there but haven't heard of one in a while.  There used to be a picture of one at the fishin hole years ago.  Always thought it'd be fun to find 80-90fow and spend a day jigging with the flasher.

Also, wondering if anyone has rented shacks from marshland outdoors?  Thinking about making the trip down in March but have only rented an over nighter once on LML and that was the trip from hell.

Offline jwg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 23, 2023, 11:27 AM »
I’m going to throw this question out there PM me if you don’t want to talk about it lol. Just wondering if anyone has caught or heard about a lake trout being caught on Deif or when the last time one has been caught. Anything would be useful? I don’t need locations or anything I was just wondering Thanks
A C/O once told me the lakers in dief have not done well as the rocky shoals they lay their eggs leaves them above the water line in most cases when the water levels drop.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #58 on: Feb 23, 2023, 11:36 AM »

Back when I was more involved with Fishing Saskatchewan, Steve Bunka (RIP) had told me that he had heard that there was a stocking program for Lakers in the 70's and up until the 90's, people would fish for them regularly.  There is a section of the lake that once had a pretty sizeable forest on it and people would use downriggers and fish in 120+ft for them.  I have never personally seen or know of anyone that has caught one there, but it would be great to see picture if anyone did!

Offline Slamhound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 23, 2023, 11:44 AM »
I’ve only heard story’s. I have tried for an hour or two here and there never had any luck lol. Thought I might try a day in the deep see what happens thanks for the info probably got some people thinking about it thanks
SLAMMMM!!!! nailed it 🐟

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.