Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Outboard help  (Read 2330 times)

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
Outboard help
« on: Oct 30, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Anyone know of any good outboard shops? I have a 1972 Mercury 20hp 200 series that was running earlier this year but liked to flood. I'd like to get this motor running good for late fall and spring walleye fishing. Haven't had a chance to tear into it except when I had to put a new pull start on it. Hopefully someplace within 20 miles of Des Moines and affordable?

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Outboard help
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2012, 12:55 PM »
Have you been using ethanol? I have a 9.8hp (same) year) and I cleaned and rebuilt the carb and installed new points about 5 years ago and has let me down yet!  ;)

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:07 PM »
I put stabil ethenol treatment in the tank as well as quicksilver oil its acting like its only firing on one cylinder.

Offline graybeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2012, 09:56 AM »
Chris at Bottom End repair has always treated me real well and is reasonable priced. Unfortunately he's east of Marshalltown, about 65 miles from Des Moines.  I can give you his number if you decide you want it.
I'd rather be :icefish:

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Chris at Bottom End repair has always treated me real well and is reasonable priced. Unfortunately he's east of Marshalltown, about 65 miles from Des Moines.  I can give you his number if you decide you want it.

Heard only good things about this place too.
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:13 AM »
Kmk outboard in elkhart is really good also and he is really reasonable on prices.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline jvanness

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:17 AM »
Check fuel float ball in carb for right height. Next thing is check the needle and spring. Check the needle for grooves at the tip of it. Also the spring may be worn not giving it enough spring pressure to close the needle tight enough

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2012, 03:25 PM »
Sounds like a float problem to me also.  Most rebuild kits give you a poly/plastic float ethanol and additives seem to chew thru them if ya can find a steel float kit i'd go that route.  Run some wire thru the needle valve and blow it out with compressed air.  Should be good to go.  It's really a job anyone can do.  Theres prolly videos on youtube to guide you thru the process as well.

Offline Eyeseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:22 PM »
Iv got an older 20hp merc and a 70hp johnson. Iv had the merc for over 20yrs and never had any fuel related issues. STAY AWAY FROM ETHANOL in all 2strokes!!!!!!! Spend the extra 10cents a gallon and run a lil sea foam. That stuff really seems to work. Especially once it sits for a week or so.

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:36 AM »
Iv got an older 20hp merc and a 70hp johnson. Iv had the merc for over 20yrs and never had any fuel related issues. STAY AWAY FROM ETHANOL in all 2strokes!!!!!!! Spend the extra 10cents a gallon and run a lil sea foam. That stuff really seems to work. Especially once it sits for a week or so.

AMEN_AMEN!!!!!!!!!

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:03 PM »
ethanol is almost unavoidable anymore they can put up to 6% and not even tell you. this i herd from a owner of a marine shop. true or not i always add stabill or seafoam in my boats tank
he explained that it breaks down the rubber in the lines which flakes off and is introduced into the fuel system causing carburetors jets and other fuel tank related problems. example . anti syphon valve plugging resulting in low performance and fuel draw. this issue has been addressed on many boating site forums inboard and outboard. hope this helps your troubleshoot
Hard charger !

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:17 AM »
Agree. Once you get it running well. 87% regular with Staybill or SeaFoam.

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2013, 01:00 PM »
ethanol is almost unavoidable anymore they can put up to 6% and not even tell you. this i herd from a owner of a marine shop. true or not i always add stabill or seafoam in my boats tank
he explained that it breaks down the rubber in the lines which flakes off and is introduced into the fuel system causing carburetors jets and other fuel tank related problems. example . anti syphon valve plugging resulting in low performance and fuel draw. this issue has been addressed on many boating site forums inboard and outboard. hope this helps your troubleshoot

If that is true, do you use standard seafoam or is there a special one from seafoam? Yes I use standard seafoam all the time with reg-gas. It works for me.

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:41 PM »
i think they make a marine stabill not sure about sea foam i use the reg stuff.
Hard charger !

Offline Eyeseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2013, 10:35 PM »
Just the regular sea foam available about anywhere. Iv never been a big believer in oil treatment,additives or any of those "chemical cures" but that sea foam seems to really work. Iv been impressed with it. I use it in all my 2strokes but its still not an alternative to regular maintinance

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2013, 12:09 PM »
Just bumping this, called KMK Outboard left a message. Anyone else know of anyone?

Offline Bruiser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2013, 12:49 PM »
You could try Naylor Service and Sales out of Perry, IA. That might be a little closer to you. I believe they work on small engines and would be able to help you out.

Offline sparkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Apr 10, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Sorry, never heard affordable & outboard work used in the same sentence ;D Not close, but Shamrock boat sales in Carnarvon--I'm betting it's that expensive little electrical block all the wires go into. I've replaced 2 on my old Merc, yours' may be different, I hope so, cost me around 300 bucks to get mine fixed--once down to Creston & once up at Leech, about 10 years apart

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2013, 08:55 AM »
I've heard favorable reports from a couple friends that used I believe Daves marine on 2nd ave North of I-80 next to the old patrol supply.  Maybe its one of the coils if you think it one cylinder not firing.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2013, 09:09 AM »
I bought new points for it last year, it ran fine but would bog down, probably needs a new carb kit and possibly a stator, I'm hoping not the stator though. I'm not familiar with engines enough to risk tearing it apart and working on it, haha.

Offline Eyeseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 22, 2013, 07:21 AM »
Did u ever get that outboard running right? The fallwalleye bight is heating up!!! Besides hardwater fishing, this is my FAVORITE fishing of the year. Hopefully u got it running over the summer. Run it hard before u put it away this fall and dont forget the sea foam. I cant tell u how impressed i am with that stuff. Pickle that motor good before u put it away and itl b ready next spring when u need it. Hope this helps

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #21 on: Oct 22, 2013, 09:53 AM »
Never got it running, sitting on the floor of the garage since we tore into it. Changed the plug wires, it will chug but never start, seems like its out of time. I just need someone who knows anything about motors to look over it and figure out what it needs. If this thing is going to turn into a money pit I'm going to turn around and sell it to someone who knows how to work on them and get out from underneath it.

Offline Eyeseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2013, 07:30 PM »
Always seems like the simplest things cause the biggest problems. I did a complete tune up of ignition systrm once, only to find it made NO difference at all. Turns out one of the NEW plugs was bad right outta the box. I just assumed it couldnt be  plug. Just double check everything uv done so far, and check the basics. Does it have compression,do both plugs fire bright blue when u pull the rope? If u have compression, spatk and fuel, it should at least start and run good enough to play with timing,fine tune carb,etc. Dont get frustrated thinking its something drastic, most often its a very simple, yet overlooked, problem

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.