Author Topic: Best Ice Deals!! Lets hear em!  (Read 1684004 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Best Ice Deals!! Lets hear em!
« Reply #3600 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Just picked up 2 free pair of skis for Smitty Sleds to assemble next week.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3601 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:36 AM »
My Chevy does the job too but I sure wouldn't mind a Porsche.  Seems simple.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3602 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:01 AM »
My Chevy does the job too but I sure wouldn't mind a Porsche.  Seems simple.
I wouldn't mind a Porsche either as long as I didn't have to pay for it. Same with a Shimano Stella or a Van Staal reel. There may be some sublime experience associated with using

a Stella that I will never know. I'd just like to hear a descrption of how that feels. I suspect that there are other human needs in play that don't really involve fishing per se.

We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline fishingp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3603 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:01 AM »
I am also in the market for a shelter fitting your description. I have done a bunch of research recently and would say the best bang for your buck (what i am looking for) would be an

eskimo fatfish 949i

It is a hub style (pop up style) that has an extra wide bottom so it has more room to fish but is still a good size that it transports easily and can be set up by one person and roomy for the days when its just teo people (like when it is him and mom  ;D ). You can buy them for 300$ but I've seen some sales down around 275. Its possible that they may go down lower for black friday deals but regardless its within your provided price range.

There is also another thread on this forum called something like "black friday deals" but this thread has had more hits and posts. I hope you find what you and your son are looking for on this forum. Its a great place full of good people.

Be safe on the ice and keep being a great mom!
Thanks so much, Noon. Hope you find the perfect shelter at the price you want to pay!
“I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”

― Etienne de Grellet

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Black Friday
« Reply #3604 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:20 AM »
I see that Cabela's will be having the Pflueger Summit XT reel on sale for $35.  How do these compare to the president?

Also, anyone have other Black Friday deals?
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3605 on: Nov 14, 2018, 10:11 AM »
I wouldn't mind a Porsche either as long as I didn't have to pay for it. Same with a Shimano Stella or a Van Staal reel. There may be some sublime experience associated with using

a Stella that I will never know. I'd just like to hear a description of how that feels. I suspect that there are other human needs in play that don't really involve fishing per se.

LOL Here you go stinky!  I am an unabashed fishing gear junky.  I have enough open water gear and ice gear BOTH to outfit a small army.  I only have one real hobby, fishing.  I don't golf.  I don't camp.  I don't gamble.  I don't take expensive hunting trips.  I don't have season tickets to NFL or any other pro sports games.  I own a small manufacturing company and have 25 employees, but I don't own fancy cars, boats(I rebuilt my own pontoon last spring from the tubes up), atvs, guns, campers or any other big boy toys.  I DO spend a lot of money on my fishing gear, #1) because I can and #2) because I enjoy buttery smooth torque-free reels and rods that are super sensitive and light as a feather.  I'm a cry once guy when it comes to gear.  It's not rocket science and it's not a mystery.  It's my one vice.  I come from humble beginnings.  My dad worked for PennDOT his entire life and never made much over $32K a year(family of four).  We didn't have a lot growing up and I worked hard to be where I'm at today.  I started working after school and weekends to be able buy my own things when I turned 16.  Maybe that has something to do with it too.  It's probably also the reason I take such great pleasure in finding deals for other fisherman here.  I've been there.

Mark, aka Deal Ninja

PS.  I don't use the Exsence/Archangel outfit to ice fish with.  lol  The Archangel is a 6' 10" medium light/fast action open water spinning rod.  It's in the same class as the G. Loomis NRX rods in both components and price.  Lots of guys fish with those btw.  And yes, a Stella is still on my radar. hahaha   
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3606 on: Nov 14, 2018, 10:37 AM »

[/quote]
LOL Here you go stinky!  I am an unabashed fishing gear junky.  I have enough open water gear and ice gear BOTH to outfit a small army.  I only have one real hobby, fishing.  I don't golf.  I don't camp.  I don't gamble.  I don't take expensive hunting trips.  I don't have season tickets to NFL or any other pro sports games.  I own my own a small manufacturing company and have 25 employees, but I don't own fancy cars, boats(I rebuilt my own pontoon last year from the tubes up), atvs, guns, campers or any other big boy toys.  I DO spend a lot of money on my fishing gear, #1) because I can and #2) because I enjoy buttery smooth torque-free reels and rods that are super sensitive and light as a feather.  I'm a cry once guy when it comes to gear.  It's not rocket science and it's not a mystery.  It's my one vice.  I come from a humble beginnings.  My dad worked for PennDOT his entire life and never made much over $32K a year(family of four).  We didn't have a lot growing up and I worked hard to be where I'm at today.  I started working after school and weekends to be able buy my own things when I turned 16.  Maybe that has something to do with it too.  It's probably also the reason I take such great pleasure in finding deals for other fisherman here.  I've been there.

Mark, aka Deal Ninja

PS.  I don't use the Exsence/Archangel outfit to ice fish with.  lol  The Archangel is a 6' 10" medium light/fast action open water spinning rod.  It's in the same class as the G. Loomis NRX rods in both components and price.  Lots of guys fish with those btw.  And, yes, a Stella is still on my radar. hahaha   
Thank you, Ninja, for indulging me in sticking my nose in your business.  I see that you are truly obsessive about your tackle and as such I not only understand it, but I envy your

financial wherewithal to put your money where your passion is. I suppose I'm overly critical of the fly fishermen's tendency toward extravagant tackle expenses which too often

seems to be driven by pure snootiness, which is offensive.

Thanks for your sharp eye for good values and should you come across a brother-in-law deal on #30 Pflueger Presidents please let us know.

Mark, Aka Stinky

We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3607 on: Nov 14, 2018, 10:52 AM »

Thanks for your sharp eye for good values and should you come across a brother-in-law deal on #30 Pflueger Presidents please let us know.

Mark, Aka Stinky

You got it!  I'll pm you if I find anything you might be interested in, since a size 30 is on the large size for ice fishing and the best deals thread.

DN  ;)2

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3608 on: Nov 14, 2018, 10:57 AM »
You got it!  I'll pm you if I find anything you might be interested in, since a size 30 is on the large size for ice fishing and the best deals thread.

DN  ;)2

Speaking of size, what is a good spool size for ice reels?  I am in the market for Pflueger reels and curious what size would work best.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3609 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Speaking of size, what is a good spool size for ice reels?  I am in the market for Pflueger reels and curious what size would work best.
Depends on what you fish for. Panfish I run mostly 20s. I do have a 25 that I use with longer rods for alittle bigger fish.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3610 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:22 AM »

The Pflueger '20' size is great for all panfish.  The '25' size is better for walleyes/bass, etc.  The Presidents are great reels for the price, but the downside is that they are quite heavy for their size.  One of the reasons they are so inexpensive.  Die cast gear boxes and bodies instead of carbon or magnesium which are much, much lighter materials.  My Ci4+ 1000 Stradics at 5.8 ounces are both much larger and lighter than the President 20 and 25 at 6.2 and 7.5 ounces respectively.

Peccavi18 posted while I was typing, but yeah, basically what he said.

DN

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3611 on: Nov 14, 2018, 12:19 PM »
The Pflueger '20' size is great for all panfish.  The '25' size is better for walleyes/bass, etc.  The Presidents are great reels for the price, but the downside is that they are quite heavy for their size.  One of the reasons they are so inexpensive.  Die cast gear boxes and bodies instead of carbon or magnesium which are much, much lighter materials.  My Ci4+ 1000 Stradics at 5.8 ounces are both much larger and lighter than the President 20 and 25 at 6.2 and 7.5 ounces respectively.

DN

What are thoughts on running a 25 and buying different spools for different applications? (Spool for pannies and spool for eyes)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #3612 on: Nov 14, 2018, 12:33 PM »

DN
The Stradics are nice, but most people aren't going to spend $200-$250 on a single ice reel....ahem...like me.  But I guess if you're a gear junkie, enjoy.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3613 on: Nov 14, 2018, 01:48 PM »

DN
You wouldn't think that a guy that typically ice fishes in 12 feet of water or less would need a size 30 reel but economics dictate that these reels serve a dual purpose in the soft

water season. Longline trolling for inland species for example. As my Shimanos wear out I'm bringing in the Presidents to replace them. They seem to suit my style and at a price

point my budget will allow. I don't really need any more reels but, like you, I like buying tackle.

Stinky

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3614 on: Nov 14, 2018, 01:50 PM »
Fleet Farm will have Buddy heaters for $65 on black friday.  Hope to see some good equipment deals on black friday/cyber monday.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3615 on: Nov 14, 2018, 02:38 PM »
Fleet Farm will have Buddy heaters for $65 on black friday.  Hope to see some good equipment deals on black friday/cyber monday.

I also see that they have the Ion 40 Volt with reverse for $399.

How good of a deal is this for the Ion and the Buddy Heater?
Just add water.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3616 on: Nov 15, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Bump
Just add water.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3617 on: Nov 15, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Bump

Well right now they are $80 at Fleet Farm, so $15 off.  Last year they had refurbished ones on sale at Cabelas for like $60, so I am waiting and hoping they come back up

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3618 on: Nov 15, 2018, 08:29 AM »
Thank you sir. I am also wondering about the ION. I have a great gas auger but this Ion would be great for my old man. So basically, I am not in the market for one but would love to add an electric to my set if the price is right. I have zero knowledge of which ION is the best ION as well.
Just add water.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3619 on: Nov 15, 2018, 08:38 AM »
Thank you sir. I am also wondering about the ION. I have a great gas auger but this Ion would be great for my old man. So basically, I am not in the market for one but would love to add an electric to my set if the price is right. I have zero knowledge of which ION is the best ION as well.

I am not too familiar with them, but from what I have heard, the X is the way to go.  Heard reverse is a must too so not sure if all Xs have reverse or not?  I run a clam plate and hand auger bit, so I am on the electric train, but prefer the weight savings.

Offline Herms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3620 on: Nov 15, 2018, 09:22 AM »
I agree with piersm2 I also run the clam plate but with a k-drill for weight savings.  I needed a new drill and this fit the bill perfectly.  Do you have a decent brushless drill you could put on a clam plate/hand auger?  If so that would work great for your old man.  I'm a young man and I love mine to death.

Offline Mandalore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3621 on: Nov 15, 2018, 10:00 AM »

I got an ION X last year (my first auger) and I love it. It's pretty light, and goes forever. I was on Moosehead last year and we were just short of 24" of ice, I cut about 30 holes and went from 3/3 charges to 2/3 charges, could have cut another 40-60 and been fine.

My only complaint is the reverse doesnt work as well as I'd like, still have to clear your hole a bit but not too bad.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3622 on: Nov 15, 2018, 10:17 AM »
My old man does not fish alone often so the auger would be an investment so that he can drill holes while we are out there together vs pull starting a gas motor and then lugging it around. I move a lot on the water and drill lots of holes while jigging. Not sure a drill would handle that vs the ION and it would defeat the purpose of bringing two augers out. If we were simply set up in an area and drilling few holes, the drill would be the way to go but thats just not our style.
Just add water.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3623 on: Nov 15, 2018, 10:19 AM »
My old man does not fish alone often so the auger would be an investment so that he can drill holes while we are out there together vs pull starting a gas motor and then lugging it around. I move a lot on the water and drill lots of holes while jigging. Not sure a drill would handle that vs the ION and it would defeat the purpose of bringing two augers out. If we were simply set up in an area and drilling few holes, the drill would be the way to go but thats just not our style.

Well with a Clam plate, you hold it the exact same as an auger, so would have the drill mounted to that.  Very easy to use for hole hopping, as I do the same.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3624 on: Nov 15, 2018, 10:34 AM »
he number of holes you can drill depends on the batt power----amp-hrs
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Herms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3625 on: Nov 15, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Either way I think electric powered is catching up to propane and gas powered as it just is less messing around with everything along with the ability to have a lower price point.  Nothing wrong with the Ion it does its job quite well.   I'm just saying if you have a drill that would do the job I'd use that at your primary from the get go.  Many guys use dewalt/Ridgid/Milwaukee brushless drills with 4-6Ah batteries and can drill holes all day long.  Plus at the end of the day you have a piece of equipment that you can use at home also. 

Offline TheStretch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3626 on: Nov 15, 2018, 12:19 PM »
I was able to punch 35+ holes through 28" of ice last season with my 8" lazer and a milwaukee 9ah battery. We move a lot too, and I never ran out of juice on a normal 8"-12" of ice day with a single 9ah. It's super light compared to a gas, or even electric auger, and I have a real nice drill to us when the water isnt frozen.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3627 on: Nov 15, 2018, 12:21 PM »
I was able to punch 35+ holes through 28" of ice last season with my 8" lazer and a milwaukee 9ah battery. We move a lot too, and I never ran out of juice on a normal 8"-12" of ice day with a single 9ah. It's super light compared to a gas, or even electric auger, and I have a real nice drill to us when the water isnt frozen.

I will be running a Ridgid w/ 9ah on an 8" bit this year as well.  Weight was the big thing for me.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3628 on: Nov 15, 2018, 01:15 PM »
Homedepot.com still has the 9 amp battery and ridid bare tool for $199.99  I think that includes the octane hammer drill with 1300 inlb of torque??   Here is a link to the battery the deal us good till.           2-04-19 just a suggestion for those looking for a drill deal??

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-9-0-Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Starter-Kit-with-Charger-AC801/304740781

Octane hammer drill link below

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ridgid-18-Volt-OCTANE-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-R8611506B/304304102

Offline JigDragger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3629 on: Nov 15, 2018, 03:33 PM »
First of all I'd like to say I'm stoked for another year of learning and hard water fishing!! secondly I hope everyone has a successful and safe season.
Now I was wondering if anyone had any info on any black Friday deals or cyber Monday deals for the strike master lazer lithium 40v?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.