New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Redwood Derby  (Read 505 times)

Offline IceRacer_63

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If the pike are not hitting..break out the bikes!
Redwood Derby
« on: Feb 05, 2006, 09:24 AM »
Took the 190 mile venture up north to participate in one of the many ice fishing derbies in the north country this weekend. My brother,my son, and I stayed at the Butternut cove,which was a whole house with 2 bedrooms full of beds.And cable!
  Lucky for us we stopped at Davenports bait shop out of Sodus Bay for bait on the way up Friday because the bait we bought at the T.I. bait shop was all belly up by the time we got to Black Lake!
 We got to Roll-away bay around 6:30am to start our day,the shore ice looked pretty shacky at best.I took my spud and poked around till I found a spot that I could walk on and blasted a hole...6-7 inches of solid slick ice.
 My son put the first pike on the ice around 8:00 which opened the flood gates for the pike..We had nonstop action until we ran out of the 7-9 inch golden shiners that we brought up with us. we caught around 16 pike or so,most of them were 20"-25 "the biggest was 33" my brother caught.
 The derby was held and put on at the Redwood fire dept. Very good job by all that put the derby on...The person sitting next to me won the $500.00 prize that was done by a drawing,she was very happy.Even though I think my brother had the biggest fish I still like the idea of the luck of the draw.
 All in all we got out on the ice and we caught some fish.Thats the best i could ask for!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.