New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Are NY panfish limits too high?  (Read 5438 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Are NY panfish limits too high?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:13 PM »
Yeah...and it was a 12 mile walk uphill to school......both ways...... ;D
 I manage limits somehow...every now and then. I see no reason to change anything.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Silver lake is no example. It's stunk for decent fish for more years than I can count.
How come Oneida has steadily increased in both quality and quantity ( for those who know the water) while its bombarded year after year by all those greedy limit takers?

Your correlation makes no sense .

Rg

Stunk for years??? really??? Go back and look at all the smiling faces with limits of nice size  bluegills now this year guys are starving for info on how to catch one out of there. Oneida isnt a small 800 acre lake...Oneida is a large lake that can sustain heavy pressure ( sorry i dont have factual info handy on exact size) but im sure nobody will argue that its a large lake. Your correlation and argument is extremely weak. Im speaking from factual events. Youre speaking off the cuff with no facts to sustain it. Point is the general population doesnt have the common sense, curtousy, or the give a crap if a fishery gets pounded into oblivion and the topic is whether or not authorities should step in to make rules on tighter limits based on lake health because the general population cant manage it on its own. Maybe some of what i said is assumed to be true and possibly just opinion. I doubt many would argue some of the validity none the less.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Show me where you found this to be truth? go back to last years Silver Lake R&C board on how many guys boasted and bragged how many slayings of limits of bluegills were posted.....Go on this years and read how many posts of " really slow today".....Then come back and lets talk about truth.

I  got a  couple  veggie  burgers  on the  grill  and  some  tofu  .....  you like   soy  milk in your  coffee ?????   I  even  got  some  james  taylor  on and  a  good   jane  fonda  flick

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:39 PM »
 I'm not disagreeing but Oneida gets pounded day in day out , first the lake is large but panfish still live where they have always lived 100-200 hundred guys every sat and Sunday on the bay's year after year spring ,fall and winter , far as eyes they are concentrated in some places More than others , and only get 12 weeks off , just read the no. Taken yes they stock , perch also get treated  to a pounding 8 out of 12 months , still saying it's not the limits , it's guys chasing bites , just read , granted small lakes get hurt due to ambulance chasers , and that my opinion

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:41 PM »
I  got a  couple  veggie  burgers  on the  grill  and  some  tofu  .....  you like   soy  milk in your  coffee ?????   I  even  got  some  james  taylor  on and  a  good   jane  fonda  flick

Nah bro I got 15 limits of bluegills eleventy brillion perch, 74 walleye, and 6 button bucks in my freezer...BTW whos James Taylor?

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:44 PM »
don't worry, when they start fracking they will all die!
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:44 PM »

Nothing intelligent to add so all you can do is pump out a pile of crap to show how cool you are.  :thumbsup:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:18 PM »
no I  just  disagree  with  you , I  rather  actually talk  fishing  then    this  stupid  crap  .....  and  I  really  did  have  veggie  burgers  on the  grill  tonight  is  there  a  limit  on  soy  beans  too?????

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:22 PM »
no I  just  disagree  with  you , I  rather  actually talk  fishing  then    this  stupid  crap  .....  and  I  really  did  have  veggie  burgers  on the  grill  tonight  is  there  a  limit  on  soy  beans  too?????

Then why do you keep coming back to this thread? Couldnt eat your veggie burger fast enough to come back and start trouble. Call it crap then cant come back fast enough.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:31 PM »
You all wanna chime in with your bull crap comments and snide remarks to try and belittle me. At least i can voice exactly what i want to say right wrong or indifferent. Well I cant believe that im reading that putting no limits on fish makes a lake healthier and more sustainable. Then why did Lake Erie stop commercial fishing for perch? wheres all the blue pike? Putting 25 fish limit on bluegills hurt tourism on Saratoga? LMAO You want me to believe this?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:31 PM »
so  jeff  what your  saying  is  you  don't  want to  discuss  anything you wish to  fight  about it ....  that's  ok  ...you know  it  all  buddy  do  what ya  want  .it's  America 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:38 PM »
it's  a  15  fish limit  on  bluegills  on saratoga  ....  thank  God  your  here  jeff  all these  years  I  assumed  the   biologist  working  for  the  state  knew  what there  talking  about   ....  blue  pike  hmmmmm  if  there  was a  limit on  dinosaurs  I  guess  they  would  be  around  too  ......hate  to tell you this  basic  biology    extinction  is the  natural  end  to ALL   Zoological species......

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:39 PM »
25 on gills is more than generous,  lets not all be gluttons.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:41 PM »
25 on gills is more than generous,  lets not all be gluttons.

I  fish  where  there  are  no limits  ..... or  if  I  fish   where  there  is  I  keep  exactly  what I  want  up  to the  limit  ...no one  advacated  breaking the  law

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:47 PM »
You all wanna chime in with your bull crap comments and snide remarks to try and belittle me. At least i can voice exactly what i want to say right wrong or indifferent. Well I cant believe that im reading that putting no limits on fish makes a lake healthier and more sustainable. Then why did Lake Erie stop commercial fishing for perch? wheres all the blue pike? Putting 25 fish limit on bluegills hurt tourism on Saratoga? LMAO You want me to believe this?
If I'm not  mistake-n it use to be 15 about 25 years ago for bluegills , but Jeff there are some places that would become healthier if limits were lifted but not all and again this is JMO from years of watching but I'm not a biologist , and I know Trapp but we don't always agree either , that's what makes forums great  ;)

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:55 PM »
If I'm not  mistake-n it use to be 15 about 25 years ago for bluegills , but Jeff there are some places that would become healthier if limits were lifted but not all and again this is JMO from years of watching but I'm not a biologist

Yes, 100% agreed and some could benefit from  less taking. Never once Disagreed on that. Sorry the tourism business has suffered so greatly due to Saratogas stingy limits. Chautauqua lake could stand a no perch limit for a few years, that lake is choke full of perch. But mostly smallish 7.5-8" perch

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:01 PM »
it's  a  15  fish limit  on  bluegills  on saratoga  ....  thank  God  your  here  jeff  all these  years  I  assumed  the   biologist  working  for  the  state  knew  what there  talking  about   ....  blue  pike  hmmmmm  if  there  was a  limit on  dinosaurs  I  guess  they  would  be  around  too  ......hate  to tell you this  basic  biology    extinction  is the  natural  end  to ALL   Zoological species......
I live 400mi. from saratoga so i apologize that my limit count was off. Just knew it was less than 50. I have fished it tho and had no trouble keeping my limit ill say that much. Blue pike got fished out but awesome vision on the dinosaur analogy. I mean we can talk eutrification stratification, pollution,  global warming, zebra mussels and Lamprey eels as well but you just want to talk fishins

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:07 PM »
Show me where you found this to be truth? go back to last years Silver Lake R&C board on how many guys boasted and bragged how many slayings of limits of bluegills were posted.....Go on this years and read how many posts of " really slow today".....Then come back and lets talk about truth.

Yeah, the 5 % of Silver lake that gets ice fished is hot one year and not so much the next....the locals are having no trouble catching fish but all the guys who want to only fish the south end are struggling...the fish move there are so many weed beds in that lake why would only the south end hold all the gills?  only the 2 ends of the lake get fished, you can go any day of the week and count less then 10 guys fishing the middle of the lake, but 200 on each end.  But this lake is fished out!  I've fished this lake a long time, perch have gotten smaller, but numbers and size of gills and crappies have only gotten better, not slobs but nice keepers.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #48 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:08 PM »
Hey easy on the Dinosaur comment I might resemble that  ;)

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:14 PM »
Yeah, the 5 % of Silver lake that gets ice fished is hot one year and not so much the next....the locals are having no trouble catching fish but all the guys who want to only fish the south end are struggling...the fish move there are so many weed beds in that lake why would only the south end hold all the gills?  only the 2 ends of the lake get fished, you can go any day of the week and count less then 10 guys fishing the middle of the lake, but 200 on each end.  But this lake is fished out!
Silver isnt fished out, but definitely 10,000 8" bluegills lighter

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:15 PM »
If some people could have it there way fishing would only be allowed on the weekends. From sun up to sun down. The limits are established at this point and it's working out alright for most guys. The ones that complain about high limits want it lowered so they could stand a chance at actually hitting it. They also chime In about how many fish a person actually needs to catch a season. They complain you catch too many and don't need them. Last season I packed away over 140 lbs of boneless fillets, pike, perch, crappie, eyes and gills. Those that can consistently catch fish think a feat like that is awesome. The ones that can't catch complain I'm the reason for their lack of success. I will agree that a small body of water that gets advertised on the internet will possibly
Show decline in quality fish. Especially if all those bragging about there catch post over and over about how
Great of a spot there on. Will it kill the population, I don't think so. But it will take a few low pressure years to get the consistent quality back.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:16 PM »
yup  fred  and  I  are  dinosours  lol  ....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:20 PM »
bird  I  think it's  a  mix  of  jealousy  and  stupidity......  nothing  you  say  can  change  it  and   truth I  don't  care  .....  when they need   perch fillets  i'll  sell  em  some  ...........anyone  else  I'd  give  them  too  ;D

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:21 PM »
If some people could have it there way fishing would only be allowed on the weekends. From sun up to sun down. The limits are established at this point and it's working out alright for most guys. The ones that complain about high limits want it lowered so they could stand a chance at actually hitting it. They also chime In about how many fish a person actually needs to catch a season. They complain you catch too many and don't need them. Last season I packed away over 140 lbs of boneless fillets, pike, perch, crappie, eyes and gills. Those that can consistently catch fish think a feat like that is awesome. The ones that can't catch complain I'm the reason for their lack of success. I will agree that a small body of water that gets advertised on the internet will possibly
Show decline in quality fish. Especially if all those bragging about there catch post over and over about how
Great of a spot there on. Will it kill the population, I don't think so. But it will take a few low pressure years to get the consistent quality back.

Yep exactly, Now start mentioning lakes that have been affected and peoples feelings start getting hurt. Well said!!!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:26 PM »
I just  went  and  read  jeffros  old  post  ...I  suggest  everyone   does  that  ...from  what I  seen   he  has  never added  a  positive  comment  to  any  fishing  discussion  only    fighting  with people  .....  that's  really  sad  jeff  because    99.99 % of  the  guys on this  site  are  great  guys  and  are  fun  to meet and  fish  with  , before  you  worry  about how many  sunfish  I  fillet you  really  should   work on  this  negativity   issue  you have 

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:30 PM »
Also if I remember correctly he complained Cuba is fished out, perhaps it's the fisherman???

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:30 PM »
bird  I  think it's  a  mix  of  jealousy  and  stupidity......  nothing  you  say  can  change  it  and   truth I  don't  care  .....  when they need   perch fillets  i'll  sell  em  some  ...........anyone  else  I'd  give  them  too  ;D

I recently scored some awesome maple syrup my older neighbor makes by trading some of my fillets. Usually I just give them and was trying to, but he insisted he owed me something. So I said I'll take some syrup!! Works out great for us both. 

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:31 PM »
I just  went  and  read  jeffros  old  post  ...I  suggest  everyone   does  that  ...from  what I  seen   he  has  never added  a  positive  comment  to  any  fishing  discussion  only    fighting  with people  .....  that's  really  sad  jeff  because    99.99 % of  the  guys on this  site  are  great  guys  and  are  fun  to meet and  fish  with  , before  you  worry  about how many  sunfish  I  fillet you  really  should   work on  this  negativity   issue  you have

Thats funny because I received PMs about you today saying dont argue with Trapper hes always stirring the pot...As you are now. Because I encourage people to go read every one of my posts. You will find some negative comments no doubt but ALL negative? You will all soon see whos the pot stirrer that with 100% certainy all my posts are not negative. I have added many positive comments on many different subjects. So I thank you Trapper for enlightening us on who you really are by trying to slander me like this.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:34 PM »
hey your  neighbor  didn't tap  a  maple  tree  these   lunatics  hug  did  he????

your  right  jeff  I  do  stir  the  pot     .....  with  fillet   HT   catch   KP   bcons  and  the  list  goes  on   and  on  ya  know  why  ?  because  their friends  .....  and   yup they get me  too  ....you on the  other hand  really like  to  hurt people  ...... me  I like  telling them  where  to  fish  and helping them out  ...and  busting on their  chops  .......

so  jeff  exactly  what are  you tring  to  say that  you  consider  me  such a  great  fisherman  I  can  bring  the  bluegill  population of  a  lake  to  near  extinction?????  that  by me  keeping  a  limit of  perch  the  entire  eco  system  is  about  to  collapse ? 

jeff  I'm  good   buddy  I  fished  a long  time  and  I  fish  almost  every day  but ....... I'm not that  good  .....  I  am  flattered that  you  consider a  old  man  such a  threat  .....  thank  you .....  wait  till i  flirt  with the  woman in your  area  ...... :roflmao:

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:34 PM »
Silver isnt fished out, but definitely 10,000 8" bluegills lighter

Good, if we use your number of 10000, then about 10% of that  class were harvested...gotta be 100,000 gills that size

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.