New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Adirondack Lake Trout....last of dieing breed  (Read 6367 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Adirondack Lake Trout....last of dieing breed
« Reply #60 on: Jan 02, 2015, 07:00 PM »
kennedy was shot by a jealous  husband 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:45 PM »
omg  coach that is scary

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #62 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:52 PM »

I am skeptical as well! How come in the last five years at least on Lake George the Lake trout have been stacked up like perch and we are catching 15, 20, 25 Lake trout in a day, yes releasing them back to grow for another go around. We never caught that many in a day 30 years ago. ???

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #63 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:01 PM »
       I am skeptical as well! How come in the last five years at least on Lake George the Lake trout have been stacked up like perch and we are catching 15, 20, 25 Lake trout in a day, yes releasing them back to grow for another go around. We never caught that many in a day 30 years ago. ???

30 years ago you didn't have vex/marcum, laker rods (remember jig sticks?) flip over shanties, and had to chisel or spoon auger your holes. ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #64 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:02 PM »
I  was  afraid  to  bring up the  conspiracy theory in fear  that  the  thread   would  disappear  and  not by our mods  oh  no  sir  .....3  letters  boys  CIA ...that's  right  see this whole  lake  trout   global  warming and  smelt missing  stuff is all a  red  flag  to keep  yer  eyes  off  Mr Obama dead  duck  Ferguson hero and personal  friend  of a  Mr  Sharpton  guy .....  see  it ain't  that  NY is  going to turn into palm beach  but they  want my guns my traps my  fish pole  and  my TV remote!   ...that's  right while  were busy poking fun of a  few poor misguide  people who probably  are  registered   strong  in the  Dem   voting  ranks  they  are making moves on us .....that's  right  .....and all you though  he  was  going to  do is golf and  work on his back  swing for the next 2 years   huh?????.....well let me  tell you all  something ...I'm busy  digging fox  holes  and  collecting  Roma noodles and cans  of  Sterno!!!!  yes  sir  I see it all as plain  as  day now   first they'll  take  snags  weather  reports  ...then  coaches ability to google  stupid  pictures  .....don't laugh  RG  Obama  personally hates  Heineken as well ......  after that iceshanty  will be  in a  total panic  ...it  will be  worse  then  tony  and  3  dot banana  jigs  .........  that's  when they  will make a  move  .... what  about height  distribution?  they  will  put  elevator  shoes  from the  early  70's on  HT!!!! ......this  ain't  going to be  pretty  but ....the  ole  trap has a plan .........  we  get into this  place  called  Harpp  and  turn on the  ice making  ray  and  we  can all be  fishing in a  day!  ...that's  what your  government is  hiding  from you!

ps  if  ya  delete  this  it's  ok but I hope  ya  chuckle  first

Trap,
This is too funny to delete.  ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:40 PM »
30 years ago you didn't have vex/marcum, laker rods (remember jig sticks?) flip over shanties, and had to chisel or spoon auger your holes. ;D

not  so  fast  30  years  ago the ice  fishing boom  had  started  I  got  my  first  portable was  like  a  suitcase  and  then I  got a  flip  top  called a  Polaris......  first  flashers  were the  old  one  colors  but  we  were  using  LCR's   off  boats  and  using  fish id  or  flasher  mode  .....jigging rods   were  in  use  I  was  already  using  brim  rods  ...... 30 years  ago   nils  were  called  tonakas  and  eskimo  was  king  of  the  gas  augers   moras were  around   still  a  few  old  spoon  augers too.... 

I  think ice  wonder  is  voiced  something I been  saying  all  along  ...with  modern  game  management ,  we  have  more  fish  and  game  in  this  state   then  ever  before  ...... don't  drink  the  kool  aid  rather  go  fishing hunting  or  just  hiking  and  enjoy  whats   here!  it's  better  now  then  when I  was a  kid!  less  pollution more  fish  and better  management! 

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #66 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:53 PM »
No, I agree with ice wander, I was just busting him a little.  I think the innovations of today definitely help catch more fish, along with the years of expertise that is found on this forum.  Thanks to all the tips, tricks and advise I have received here on IS plus the use of my vexilar, various fishing equipment and accessories that are now on the market, I definitely catch more fish than I used to.

On the down side, I have seen some of the lakes in my area take a pounding by the increase in fishing pressure and have not seen the numbers of fish like I used to.

Whose is to blame? I don't know but I do know that things are different and like most people I look for reasons but I don't claim those reasons to be absolute truth. In the end, I just go fishing and have fun.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #67 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:06 PM »
Don't worry the world has this thing if S#!t hits the fan.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #68 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:06 PM »
I always get a little weary when i hear the words fishing pressure affecting fish populations when its used in conjunction with fairly good sized bodies of water.. For 1 i dont think people fish 1/2 as much as they used to.. I dont know the numbers but i would guess maybe and like i said im guessing, mostly because i just dont feel like researching it, but id be willing to bet my best Jigging rod that resident fishing license sales are are around 1 million licenses.. Lets say im right or in the ball park, of those 1 million licenses ill take a wild shot in the dark and say 50% of the people fish a half dozen times,for example, opening day of trout, walleye, bass and maybe make a trip for the salmon runs.. 40% just got it to say they have a license and 10% fish on a regular basis..It almost goes with the old addage 10% of fisherman catch 90% of the fish..

Now keeping this all in mind,and ill say it again, Im just taking a wild guess im by no means saying these are 100% accurate assumptions, AND if anyone reading this has some accurate numbers please chime in.. BUT, I can say with absolutely no doubt, that from what i can remember there isnt half the guys out there fishing like there was when i was a kid.. Now Im 40yrs old, Ive fished every year of my life as far as i can remember, ive fished all over the state, a lot of places multiple times.. And let me tell yah, there is half the fishing pressure out there than there was 20 years ago and i bet 20+ years before that there was even more fishing pressure..

So, its got to make one wonder, are all these advancements in fishing technology to blame ? If so.. I say BOOOO HOOO to VEXILAR, Marcum etc etc and to all you guys using their products , your wipeing out the fish....

Now that my long winded joke is over..  ;D I really think lakes cycle in and out, producing large fish for periods of time, small fish for periods of time many fish to few fish for periods of time, some of the cycles are short, some are long..

TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:25 PM »
but id be willing to bet my best Jigging rod that resident fishing license sales are are around 1 million licenses..

You might not want to do that....
Fishing license sales
2002/2003   1,007,156   $32,297,508   
2003/2004   1,000,869   $31,401,824   
2004/2005   991,870   $31,094,538   
2005/2006   978,848   $30,459,449   
2006/2007   1,008,697   $31,346,857   
2007/2008   1,024,853   $31,970,987   
2008/2009   1,130,351   $50,637,059   
2009/2010   906,587   $38,295,556   
2010/2011   801,626   $35,051,957   YTD 08/03/2011

it seems the DEC stopped posting that information after 8/3/2011 since it seems like a big decline after 2008/2009. I'd bet fishing alone wasn't close to 1 million this year if it follows the trend.... however with the reduced cost it might have been who knows....

Also looks like the DEC has plenty of money to me  :whistle:  :sick:

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 03, 2015, 12:35 AM »
Also on the global warming issue..... just for the majority of 2014

Also to the mods I didn't mean to report that post just accidentally clicked the link while scrolling through on my laptop

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 03, 2015, 05:05 AM »
You might not want to do that....
Fishing license sales
2002/2003   1,007,156   $32,297,508   
2003/2004   1,000,869   $31,401,824   
2004/2005   991,870   $31,094,538   
2005/2006   978,848   $30,459,449   
2006/2007   1,008,697   $31,346,857   
2007/2008   1,024,853   $31,970,987   
2008/2009   1,130,351   $50,637,059   
2009/2010   906,587   $38,295,556   
2010/2011   801,626   $35,051,957   YTD 08/03/2011

it seems the DEC stopped posting that information after 8/3/2011 since it seems like a big decline after 2008/2009. I'd bet fishing alone wasn't close to 1 million this year if it follows the trend.... however with the reduced cost it might have been who knows....

Also looks like the DEC has plenty of money to me  :whistle:  :sick:
800k as of 8/3 2011 so that's 100k licenses a month, following the mean that year it would be roughly 1 million licenses..

Actually I would do that... Lol its right around 1 million... Lol good guess by me ... WTG deadsmelthead...lmao

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 03, 2015, 05:09 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Also to the mods I didn't mean to report that post just accidentally clicked the link while scrolling through on my laptop

Yah but the earths been here for billions of years... So we really can't base any kind of data collected off of anything.. In all honesty those temperature averages should really say something like "data is completely inconclusive its only been studied for the past 100 years"...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #73 on: Jan 03, 2015, 05:46 AM »
you know  in my  day I seen  supposed  experts  swear  to  the  congress that polar bear populations  were  delining  to a  point were the Canadian government sued  and  proved  they were actually increasing   to get them off the  endangered spieces  list ... no matter what side  your on ...that proves one thing ...governments lie  in order to make money!  .....global  warming  ...follow the money ...I personally wish that chart were  true  but in reality anyone that pays attention  to  the  average amount of  fuel  the use  to heat their homes can tell you ..... it hasn't changed ...... for every graph you can produce  to prove  climate  control  theres  another  to  disprove  it ... it's the  warmest  year ever  and  the national  weather service   says  we have  had  no rise  in temp  in over 17 years ...... I know  this much  ...I honestly believe  opinions  in the  scientific  community  are  actually designed to  get grands and  research money and not based on facts .... this  country  is  so messed up  we  watch the  news all see the same  video clip  and   some  people see a maney  resisting arrest and  others  see police brutality ......as a nation  and  as  sportsman  we no longer look a  reality  ...we only back  the  side we  want to win like watching  football  game  and a  flag  gets tossed ...now  bottome line  ..ya  wanna  believe  in  climate  change  and man  kind  has  wounded  mother earth and  the  power of  karma is falling on us  ...that  if you wear spandex  ride a bicycle  and  eat tufo and  release every fish  for  future  generations  ...fine  ......  i'm  going  to  drive  my  gas  gusling truck eat  every fish I  can and  enjoy life .........  ;D ......ps  drink  beer not  kool aid..............gover nments  lie

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.
                                                                                                                                                                       adolf hitler

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Jan 03, 2015, 05:57 AM »
No, I agree with ice wander, I was just busting him a little.  I think the innovations of today definitely help catch more fish, along with the years of expertise that is found on this forum.  Thanks to all the tips, tricks and advise I have received here on IS plus the use of my vexilar, various fishing equipment and accessories that are now on the market, I definitely catch more fish than I used to.

what  you are  basicly  saying is  as  iceshanty members  we  are  FISHING GODS!!!!!!!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #75 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:17 AM »
I remember the arguements on global warming last winter , from what I read for every pro there was another article refuting it , so I not being all knowing , but I have said before which I will stick to is , you can't sit 5 people down at one table and have them all agree on anyone thing , but now that door is now open to argue , Seems to me is a Rush ,  Hennity thing they have their own spin on things and that's just 2 men and they are both right just ask them ,And computers spit out only what one has put into them , oh no another debate , so let's just fish , and enjoy what time we have left on this ol planet , cause it passes faster than you think , just look back and see for your selves , just an uneducated ol buzzard taking one day at a time , and that's it for my useless opinions

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #76 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:35 AM »
so I not being all knowing

thank God  I  am

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:48 AM »
"Even if the fish is released, it can't survive with a treble hook in its gullet. "

I agree.  How someone thinks you can puncture a fishes stomach and have it survive is a mystery.  I am also surprised at how many ice fishermen use trebles.  Definitely bad for the fishery--folks should learn how to use circle hooks more no matter what species they are targeting.  Lake trout are a very slow growing fish, so if people are keeping ones that are barely legal, there aren't going to me many left to get big.  Let em go & grow.  It takes about 20 years to make a 20 pound laker.  Salmon get there in 3 or 4 years.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #78 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:51 AM »
makes more sence to me  to get rid of the lakers and  put in more salmon

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #79 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:12 AM »
thank God  I  am

Now that could be another topic , but we would never get time to fish due to the depth of the topic  lol

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #80 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:21 AM »
icefisher Daniel  as I have  gotten older my  father  has  gotten smarter!  and   god bless him he  always  told me  never trust the  government  ...it's  about greed money and  power and  lie to the  people , and  most are  either to young or  to naive  to  question what they are  told ...  teachers  leaders  and  lawmakers  should  all be  questioned ....follow the money trail .....look  how rich   al  gore is  and  he  drives  suv's  and  screwed  his  own people  selling out! and sold out the last day of the bush tax  cuts?  I honestly  don't know  how  people  can look at  whats going on in this  country and  not get  angry ,everything we believed  in and held  dear  has  been molested  and taken  away ......scientist  are  simply  saying  what they are  supposed to say  and  line their pockets .....no one  is  going to give  them a  grant to study  when  things are  going  good!!!!! thanks  to the  clean air  acts  blue  Sky  are  over  NYC  and  LA  ...  the  Onondaga lake  ,river  and oswego  river  most polluted  bodies of  water in the  us at one  time  are  off the  watch list  as  of  2006 ....  bald  eagles  are  back   more deer bear and  wildlife  then  ever ..... more  fish!!!!   call your regional office ..the DEC  will tell you ..... but that  doesn't sell ..... that doesn't get research  money ...that doesn't get al gore  a  peace prize ....that  doesn't  give  government a  lic  to  tax   our factories  more  .....  it's really not  hard to see  whats  going on ,you  just have  to open your  eyes and ask  questions .... of course you might not like the  answers .......and  here is  the  big  lie .....none of it is  OUR FAULT ....go  catch a  fish and  have  some  fun if ya  want to  eat him  eat him  if  ya  want to let him go  then let him go .....  it  really isn't  going  to hurt anything one  way or the  other...........wait   one  thing is  our  fault, as  sportsman and  woman  we  have  supported  the  proper management that made   the  increase  in game  and  fish populations ^5

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:18 AM »
True while don't trust the govt on anything, on the other hand the TRUTH most often resides somewhere in the middle.

To think we're to small to affect the climate may be just as foolish as the OMG the sky is falling.

Einstein's theory of relativity has always proven correct.  Everything is relative.
a main premise of science is quite simple, it's nearly impossible to merely observe something without altering it, let alone interact.

Example Sportsman being good stewards of the environment, RG's take the pledge, the "leave only footprints" etc.  Even abiding by all of that to the "T" we still change our environment.
Icefishing, even when perfect & everything leaves the ice with us.  We've changed the way animals behave.  The Gulls mainly, but also lots of other critters have changed their behavior to check our spots when we leave.  If we stopped all Icefishing on a body of water their behavior would change again.
Talking a walk through the woods just scouting for scrapes or recon for a new trap line, barely leaving footprints.  1 particular scent we may leave behind can cause a deer or something to spook & travel a different direction, thus starting a new game trail.  We've all seen it, year after year while we tend to find similar patterns, there are changes.  How many are because someone was out there?

No one can answer that, but it does happen, we've all seen it.

Now on a larger scale, the environment as a whole.  We as sportsman should be paying attention.  The whole "If we don't learn from our past mistakes we're doomed to repeat them"

30-80 years ago there was another environmental/climate debate.  The old timers then, also hated the notion, resisted the thought that they could be at fault.  Similar to today, just a bit less hyper-polarized due to less communication.  Today it's become all out media war.
Pollution & Smoke stack emissions, car exhaust, etc.
How'd that turn out?
No one believed smoke & crap from Buffalo through Michigan could possibly affect anything over here through the rest of New England.  That distance seemed ridiculous, it seemed like too small of a problem too far away.
No one believed car exhaust combined with industrial emissions could totally destroy air quality.  Until people couldn't breathe in heavily populated areas.  That same scenario has been playing out again recently in China.  Yet no one remembers?

jmho   

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #82 on: Jan 03, 2015, 11:21 AM »
not  true bcons  in 1978  we  were  told  the  earth  was  headed  toward  another ice  age!  top  scientist  had determined this!  in  1982 the  rumors  of  global  warming  appeared  ...same  scientist  by the  way  ...guess the  1978 fear tactic didn't generate  enough cash flow.... in the  80's  we  were  told  the  polar ice  caps  would  surely melt  within  5 years  flooding  nyc  .....remember those  claims????? well guess  what  last year  it  was  released  the  polar ice  caps  are  the  same  size  as they  were  in 1978 ....amazing huh ....I been  told  for  50 years   we  would  run out of  oil in  5  years ...  I been told  we  were  going to  be  in a  ice  age then I  was  going  to  experance  tropical  weather in ny .... I been told  we  had  holes  in the ozone layers ......(no one  even knows what ozone is)  and  all life  would  be  burned to death ..... been told  we  are  going to  be  hit  with a  comet  ....  unknown  viruses and  super  flu's  .... are  you honestly kidding me .....  you all want to  buy a  extra  pair  of  Bermuda shorts  for  feb  and   wear   200spf  sun screen and a  army surplus  helmet  go  ahead  ........... I guess  bottom  line   I really think it's  horse  crap  and  it's the  same   thing   people  have  been  getting handed  since  the  beginning of  time .....relax  God  is  still in  charge  no matter  how  much   the government  doesn't want you  to  believe that .....

"Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools" .......auther  God  Romans 1:22

relax  go  fishing 

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Jan 03, 2015, 11:26 AM »
I knew that Koolaid drinking Bcons would show up on this thread sooner or later :woot:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Jan 03, 2015, 11:31 AM »
he  musta  been hugging trees and  listening to joan baez earlier

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Jan 03, 2015, 12:00 PM »
he  musta  been hugging trees and  listening to joan baez earlier
and eating Carp steaks ;D

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 03, 2015, 03:18 PM »
Hmmmmm carp!

You two knuckleheads missed the point I wasn't talking about warming.  Rather the debate about emissions, air quality, & acid rain.

Ole timers denied that 30-80 years ago.

How'd that work out?
How's Onondaga lake?

According to ole timers none of that should've been a problem.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #87 on: Jan 03, 2015, 03:24 PM »
we  didn't miss  the  point  and   no  your  wrong  acid  rain was  something that  was  proved   and  with  clean  coal  technology  was taken  care  of   ...we  took the  lead  out of  gas  ,formed  the  epa   and   threw  the  clean  air  and  water  acts  you  don't  have  smog  over  nyc  or  LA  ...we  already  talked  this  b cons  you  got to keep up man .....now  come  on  were  moving along  here

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #88 on: Jan 03, 2015, 03:45 PM »

If you at this map, in the northeast it is pink, warmer than normal. Now we had a very cold winter last year and summer was below previous summers,
what these climate change people do is put out false data hoping no one will remember what the weather was really like.

IW
     and the fall was also cool.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jan 03, 2015, 03:48 PM »
              If you at this map, in the northeast it is pink, warmer than normal. Now we had a very cold winter last year and summer was below previous summers,
what these climate change people do is put out false data hoping no one will remember what the weather was really like.

IW
     and the fall was also cool.

Just because it was "cooler" doesn't mean the average temperature the ENTIRE period From January to November wasn't higher than the long term average.... Don't forget about the warmer than average fall and spring we had last year.... and the winter was pretty average in the long run if you ask me just a few days when we had the "polar vortex" which isn't a weather term as it's always existed they just ran out of things to talk about....

You can't just look at week long periods and say a particular season was colder because we had extreme cold for a couple weeks.... The dates the seasons start vary from year to year with the equinoxes and solstices.... Winter starts December 20-23 and ends March 20-23 spring starts march 20-23 and ends June 20-23 summer starts June 20-23 and end September 20-23 and fall starts September 20-23 and ends December 20-23.... in order to say we had a warmer or cooler season you need to look at the whole time frame not just the extremes..... just because the middle was colder than usual doesn't mean that the beginning and end wasn't extremely warm. We humans tend to remember the extremes during times or events and not the entire time or event.... I remember much of April and may being in the 80's and same with September. Also in October I spent a lot of time in the tree stand in a light long sleeve camo shirt rather than a sweatshirt or light jacket like I normally would in past years

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.