The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice build up on auger  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Ice build up on auger
« on: Jan 30, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Is there some type of spray one could put on their auger blades to keep the ice from building up?

Thanks,
  Big W
Big W

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice build up on auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2006, 08:25 AM »
i spray mine with pam.   ;D works pretty good.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:50 AM »
Any food grade silicone spray will work well. I have to ask though, how do you get ice build up? When you're through drilling holes, immediately put the guard back on. Do NOT drill a partial hole to stand up the auger.
Pete Lewis

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2006, 11:24 AM »
When I pull my auger out of the hole I rev it wide open and it spins most of the water and slush off of the auger. I also don't lay it down in the snow if possible. I haven't tried it, but they say Armoral works to keep a drill ice free.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline weimman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2006, 03:07 PM »
Is there some type of spray one could put on their auger blades to keep the ice from building up?

Thanks,
  Big W
2 things I apply to mine:
1. rainex car wax applied just like waxing your car
2. that rain repellent that you put on your windshield.

I applied both in that order and get no buildup.  Also, never do the 1/2 a hole thing and avoid laying in the snow.

Lance

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2006, 06:02 PM »
When I pull my auger out of the hole I rev it wide open and it spins most of the water and slush off of the auger. I also don't lay it down in the snow if possible. I haven't tried it, but they say Armoral works to keep a drill ice free.

I do the EXACT same thing - works pretty well for me too - and I don't have to worry about using some spray.  I did however have some nasty freeze-up probs. early this season when it was like 15 out during the day and I was punching holes all over!  Had to get the Gerber out and start chipping!!! Only thing I could think of was - careful WF - careful - you DON'T need to gash your hand wide open on your first trip of the season!!!  :woot:

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2006, 09:45 AM »
i try not to use armour-all or wd-40 or anything like that. don't want to put those chemicals in the water. i figure cooking spray, although it does contain some chemicals, can't be as bad since it's eatable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.