The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Ice Augers starting problems  (Read 41673 times)

Boob Dinkelman

Re: Jiffy Ice Augers starting problems
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2006, 08:58 PM »
Well, that's hard to say without looking at the unit in question, but the old rule applies..you need 3 things to fire a two stroke:  Spark, compression and fuel mixture. 

Spark should be easy to confirm...check for the correct mfg recommended spark plug.  Just cuz it fits the hole and looks right doesn't mean it's the correct heat range.   Once you have the right plug, lay the plug against the head for a good ground and crank it over with the plug out a few times, look for a consistent, bright blue spark.  If it's yellow and/or intermittent, that's a weak spark....caused by bad plug, dirty points or some other electrical issue.  If there's no spark, you really have a problem, of course.

If there's spark, what does the plug look like?  If it's wet, black and sooty, it may be running rich.  If it's whitish grey, it may be running lean.   It should be, on a two stroke, about the color of charcoal or a little lighter, and not jet-black-wet.

It might be flooding out.   In which case, pull the plug, pull the motor over a few times to clear the combustion chamber, dry off the plug and put it back in, and don't choke it.    Another trick on flooded two strokes is to hold throttle wide open, no choke, and pull until it sputters to life.

The carb could be set way out of whack.   Simple as two strokes are, once they start, they'll probably run, though maybe not well.  Hard starting usually...*usually* is a carburetion issue...too much gas in the air/fuel mixture or not enough.

Maybe you just want to 'cheat' a little and start right out by pulling the plug and 'priming' it with a blast of WD-40 (assuming they havent' changed the formulation and it's still flammable, it works as a not-so-volatile starting fluid)

Like I've said, they're tempermental beasts, each with it's own personality.  A person almost has to develop a relationship with each two stroke engine and learn it's tricks and quirks. 

The easiest thing to do is to leave it home and crank by hand, or set yourself up with a cordless drill rig.   Of course, again, that's if you're not chasing crappies all over by drilling 50 holes thru 3 feet of ice, but rather punching maybe a dozen 6 inch holes in a foot or less of ice, more if you have a fancy drill.   

I go fishing because it's relaxing.  Fighting with stubborn, heavy, tempermental engines doesn't fit the bill for relaxing in my book.   

fwj4570

« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2006, 07:11 AM »
i have 12 year old jiffy 3 hp. was hard to start from the git go. the carbaretor on these motors are not the best. when cold use full choke, prime two times,open throttle 3/4 . should start . when warm, no choke do not prime still use 3/4 throttle. carb may need adjustment. do a google search for tecumseh and see what others say about it. also always mix oil 24 to 1. i have never taken mine apart but was told many years ago that 50 to 1 engines have needle bearings in the conecting rod and  older engines and some newer ones (24 to 1) do not. when in doubt follow manufacturers instructions. jiffys are a well built unit and will last a long time.

Offline shantyicefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2006, 01:45 PM »
A post of mine after I ran into similar problems...  Enjoy.

Re: Carb Adjustment on Jiffy Auger
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2005, 09:53 AM » Reply with quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  Pull the yellow plastic caps out of the carb adjusters.

2.  Lightly seat both of the carb adjustment screws.

3.  The left screw, the "low" idle adjustment should be turrned out 1 1/8 turns.

4.  The right screw, the "high" idle adjustment should be turned out between 5/8 and 3/4 turns.

Adjust from there....

I like to leave the cap on the auger and find myself a big pile of snow.  That way I can run the thing, at idle and wide open and everywhere in between without digging a hole or harming the blade etc...
I also prefer doing this with two people, one person to hold the auger and one person to set the fine tuning on the carb. 

So, have one person start up the auger.  The idle should be fairly strong. If it's not, open up the left screw a bit...  If you turn it too much the engine will stall.  Then have the other person gun the throttle.  If the engine chokes, turn out the right screw a "c" hair and try again.  You want to be able to go from idle to full on with no hesitation.

If worse comes to worse, I live in the Worcester area...  lol.

Offline Iceman05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2006, 07:51 PM »
Okay here is my 2 cents worth.
If it is a Yellow Jiffy it most likely hasn't had the recall. They need to put a new carb on. Take it to a dealer and this will be done free of charge. If it has had the carb replaced or is a WHITE Jiffy then take it to a shop. REMEMBER to tell the guy you will be starting it outside and the carb needs to be adjusted outside the shop. A Friend of mine had his back 4 times before the mechanic set the carb OUTSIDE in the cold weather. Runs like a champ for 2 years now. A good oil gas mixed properly with a little Stabil in it and you won't have any problems.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:29 PM »
Now we're getting somewhere!!!
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

camo_fish

« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:33 PM »
A post of mine after I ran into similar problems...  Enjoy.

Re: Carb Adjustment on Jiffy Auger
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2005, 09:53 AM » Reply with quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  Pull the yellow plastic caps out of the carb adjusters.

2.  Lightly seat both of the carb adjustment screws.

3.  The left screw, the "low" idle adjustment should be turrned out 1 1/8 turns.

4.  The right screw, the "high" idle adjustment should be turned out between 5/8 and 3/4 turns.

Adjust from there....

I like to leave the cap on the auger and find myself a big pile of snow.  That way I can run the thing, at idle and wide open and everywhere in between without digging a hole or harming the blade etc...
I also prefer doing this with two people, one person to hold the auger and one person to set the fine tuning on the carb. 

So, have one person start up the auger.  The idle should be fairly strong. If it's not, open up the left screw a bit...  If you turn it too much the engine will stall.  Then have the other person gun the throttle.  If the engine chokes, turn out the right screw a "c" hair and try again.  You want to be able to go from idle to full on with no hesitation.

If worse comes to worse, I live in the Worcester area...  lol.

excellent post, sounds like I may need to fine tune my jiffy too. Thanks so much for the jiffy expert way to adjust the carb.  :thumbsup: Awesome stuff.

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2006, 11:35 PM »
Okay here is my 2 cents worth.
If it is a Yellow Jiffy it most likely hasn't had the recall. They need to put a new carb on. Take it to a dealer and this will be done free of charge. If it has had the carb replaced or is a WHITE Jiffy then take it to a shop. REMEMBER to tell the guy you will be starting it outside and the carb needs to be adjusted outside the shop. A Friend of mine had his back 4 times before the mechanic set the carb OUTSIDE in the cold weather. Runs like a champ for 2 years now. A good oil gas mixed properly with a little Stabil in it and you won't have any problems.

Was there a recall on 2hp Jiffy Legend(yellow)? And if so what years?

Thanks
Jeremy

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 05, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Most augers that come into my shop for repairs have basically the same problem...Fuel related:: Not enough ,none, old fuel, wrong fuel (no oil or too much oil in fuel).
Many fishermen have "what works for me" and others are just lost when it comes to engines :unsure:
 Fresh fuel is a good thing. Unleaded with no alcohol is a good thing. A good grade/brand of oil is a good thing. A new spark plug ( non-champion) is good as well.
These engines start better at WOT (wide open throttle) with the choke fully closed. They are very "cold blooded" and will not run right until they reach operating temperature. Some will get to this temp. sooner than others. Carb. adjustments will be the issue here unless there is a physical problem with the carb. and needs a kit or replacement.
A good small engine mechanic is a good thing too!! :)

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 05, 2006, 04:12 PM »
i have never had a starting prob with my jiffy until i bent the metal gas cap and bought the plastic replacement now i have to loosen the cap because the breather doesnt aloww enough air in to run properly
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 05, 2006, 04:15 PM »
i have never had a starting prob with my jiffy until i bent the metal gas cap and bought the plastic replacement now i have to loosen the cap because the breather doesnt aloww enough air in to run properly
That's a new one on me. The "new" plastic cap has a vent you open..right???

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline blklabsrule

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 26, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Wow what did I start, since i am not a small engine expert I took it to a pro. He replaced the diaphram, said the fuel mix looked dark, and adjusted the carb. It seemed to start fine this weekend although it was not that cold which is when i was having the problem. fwj4570 have to agree with you the easiest way to start it is to choke it, prime it and hold the throttle open. iceman 05 where do I find out about the re-call? take it back to my engine guy?

Offline bulldog_fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 26, 2006, 12:09 PM »
sitting here reading the posts just makes me chuckel.  I just got back from fishing and boy is my left arm tired, I too have the 3hp jiffy.  thank-you all for your posts I am leaving right now for fishing (early) to try the carb adjust thing.  Is there a recall on the 3hp engine.  I also just bought mine last year.  Does anyone know if it hurts the auger if the throttle is held in while pulling the recoil rope?  I would think that it could ingauge the cluch and damage it.  But that is how I got it started this morning after 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 pulls ??? ??? ???

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2006, 03:16 PM »
Some great advice, but if this continues put the Jiffy on ebay, and buy a StikeMaster electric...excellent customer service.. get 50 holes on one battery  I had the same problem Jiffy.. would not start...there customer service was...well not nice....good luck fishing in am   :tipup:

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2006, 04:43 PM »
  Does anyone know if it hurts the auger if the throttle is held in while pulling the recoil rope?  I would think that it could in gauge the cluch and damage it. 
This will not hurt anything..in fact it usually will help in the starting process. Sounds like it's a fuel problem (not getting any/enough) ....carb. problems!!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Coastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 26, 2006, 05:00 PM »
My Jiffy 30 is 20yrs old and calls for 24:1 it always runs great I wouldn't ignore what the manufacturer recomends I'd give them a call!

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2006, 07:04 AM »
This will not hurt anything..in fact it usually will help in the starting process. Sounds like it's a fuel problem (not getting any/enough) ....carb. problems!!

Exactly. Think of how you would start other small two-strokes.  Take a chainsaw for example.  Your turn the switch on, set the choke to full and set the throttle to full.  My Stihl automaticly goes to full throttle when you set the choke to full.  After you pull it a time or two and the motor pops you move the choke to half leaving the throttle at full and pull again.  The extra throttle helps it to get going.  Just don't hold it down too long. 

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:32 AM »
Bring up STIHL.... I sell and service STIHL. I have asked for an ice auger from STIHL. There responce is " we will not advocate anyone walking on a frozen lake and drilling holes in the ice. We may be deemed liable."
What the ????????????????? OK!  They make a fantastic "dirt" auger...but no ice bit. The price is not for the faint of heart though!!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

trapperdirk

« Reply #47 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:16 AM »
Bring up STIHL.... I sell and service STIHL. I have asked for an ice auger from STIHL. There responce is " we will not advocate anyone walking on a frozen lake and drilling holes in the ice. We may be deemed liable."
What the ????????????????? OK!  They make a fantastic "dirt" auger...but no ice bit. The price is not for the faint of heart though!!

Thats odd they would say that since they do sell ice augers and I've seen them . Sounds like a brush off job to me by your supplier as they definately do make them .

TD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.