The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Ice Augers starting problems  (Read 41678 times)

Offline blklabsrule

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy Ice Augers starting problems
« on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:03 PM »
Bought a new 3 hp Jiffy last year and have had nothing but problems starting it on the ice. On really cold mornings it does not want to start. I transport it laying down is this a bad idea?

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jiffy Ice Augers starting problems
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:18 PM »
The only way that it would be a bad idea is if the gas leaks out.  I transport mine this way all the time.  I just make sure the gas cap is up.  Are you haveing trouble starting it or just keeping it running after starting?  What is your startup procedure choke position, number of times priming etc?
Cheese Head

Offline izzyfender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:23 PM »
i own a jiffy 3hp power auger for about 12 years now and i never had problems starting it up. i transport my auger laying down so i dont think it would affect it. make sure you have the correct oil and gas mixture because most of the time this could be the problem. On cold days make sure the choke is on and prime the carburetor but not too much because you dont want to flood it. If it still doesnt work try exchanging it or call jiffy and tell them the story.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:55 PM »
Use Opti2 or Amsoil Saber Professional mixed 100:1 in it and you won't have any problems. The auger will start better, run stronger, and burn cleaner.

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:14 PM »
I usually remove the spark plug Put ten to twelve drops of mixed gas in plug hole
  Put plug back in tighten it put plug wire back on It usually starts within four pulls
  and starts good thereafter
I Live To Fish

Offline blklabsrule

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:24 PM »
just having trouble starting it. choke it prime it pull my a** off remove the plug warm it with a lighter and then it will normally start. lost the reciept can't return it, to late. it seems to be mostly on the really cold mornings. maybe I'll take it to the shop and get it looked at.

Offline blklabsrule

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:26 PM »
"Use Opti2 or Amsoil Saber Professional mixed 100:1 in it and you won't have any problems. The auger will start better, run stronger, and burn cleaner."

BOB D what is this an additive? Someone also told me to try dry gas.

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:29 PM »
Two questions, what do you mean by really cold and is this a brand new unit?  Temp shouldn't effect the engine's ability to spark but you'd be amazed what a new plug can do.  Try an autolite as opposed to the champion plug it comes with.  Get it from an auto parts store as Jiffy wants about $6 a plug which is crazy.  I would also have a look at the choke, make sure its closing properly.  In the mean time why not keep the head inside your vehicle until your ready to use it for the first time?  Just an idea.

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:35 PM »
"Use Opti2 or Amsoil Saber Professional mixed 100:1 in it and you won't have any problems. The auger will start better, run stronger, and burn cleaner."

BOB D what is this an additive? Someone also told me to try dry gas.

Nope, its a brand of 2-stroke oil.  And no, you shouldn't need dry gas, providing the gas is fresh.

Offline blklabsrule

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:55 PM »
Brand new unit last season. have tried new plugs doesn't seem to be fouling. I'll try the Opti2 or Amsoil Saber Professional, 1:100 sounds strage i think the book calls for 1:50 will have to look when i get home.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2005, 02:50 PM »
If you are running standard oils use the 50:1 ratio.

Amsoil and Opti 2 are designed to be mixed at 100:1. I run Amsoil at 100:1 in all my 2 strokes. Once you have made the switch, you will never go back to the other oils.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2005, 02:57 PM »
 I always run a little seafoam in mine at the start of the season. It seems to work well.  :tipup:
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2005, 03:04 PM »
arent jiffy augers 24 to 1

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2005, 04:35 PM »
I'm sure it's a tecumseh engine..Right??  There is something wrong with the carb. and/or choke. The mix ratio is 32:1 on a 3 hp. tecumseh but may call for 24:1...Ignore that. I know some guys use 100:1 opti or amzoil...But there is another hole can of worms there. Use a good oil at 32:1. If it ran Ok last year?...(Did you leave fuel in it all summer??? ) If this the case then your carb. may be "varnished". If it acted up from day one (since new) then there's a problem with the choke and/or carb. These problems are usually fuel related. Never use fuel that has been mixed for more than 90 days.  Boy..That last statement will get some comments. This What I do  30+ years.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Fish-A-Holic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Winnebago and Lovin it
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2005, 04:49 PM »
I have 3 jiffys right now and have owned numerous others. I've found the best way to start it is to lean the engine toward the exhaust side. The hit the primer until a few drops of gas come out of the exhaust. The pull it over with the choke at full choke. $10 says it starts on the second pull.
The Fish-A-Holic

Offline scottly0

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicken Little
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2005, 07:06 PM »
Exactly Fish-a-holic that is exactly how you fire up a jiffy every time ;D

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2005, 07:37 PM »
3 hp maybe but not the 2 hp.  Full choke, give 1/3 throttle and pull twice run half choke half way throught first hole take choke off and away you go.
Cheese Head

Offline blklabsrule

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2005, 10:28 AM »
It has been starting hard since day 1, I'll try some of your suggestions, if they don't work, Off to the shop it goes. Thanks for all the help. Have a Merry Christmas!!! see you on the ice.

GregoryD

« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2006, 05:43 PM »
Exactly Fish-a-holic that is exactly how you fire up a jiffy every time ;D

I'm sorry to bother you but I'm new to this forum.
I can't seem to find the " Submit New Post " or Post a new thread " button anywhere.
How do I go about starting a new topic post ?

Greg

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2006, 06:41 PM »
mine starts fine, jsut choke it and pull till it starts then take choke off.BUt today, I dont know what happened, let er warm up got the first hole drilled, went to the second gave er gas and drill did not engage, finally I smacked the drill on the ice and it engaged, anyone know why it was faulty?This is a brand new auger.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline Coastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2006, 07:53 PM »
Fishaholic I gonna try that on my buddies he'll probably get pissed if I can start it faster than he can.

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2006, 08:07 PM »
 If anyone did not mentioned spark plug gap, try that too. Even though you got it from the package does not mean it is gapped correctly. This is vital with all  engines.

Offline pimpmypike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2006, 08:25 PM »
before you kill your engine for the day try running the engine completely out of fuel.just shut the fuel off and run untill she dies.if you do not have a fuel shut off between the tank and the carb then buy  a shut off and put it in the line.this will stop the carb from "gumming up".my next suggestion would be to buy a husqvarna.they are twice the engine and craftmanship.

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:36 AM »
I'm sorry to bother you but I'm new to this forum.
I can't seem to find the " Submit New Post " or Post a new thread " button anywhere.
How do I go about starting a new topic post ?

Greg

Greg-Go to the main page i.e. IceShanty Forums/IceShanty Main/General Chit Chat and look at the top right corner of the main forum area.  You will see it there.  It will give you two options "Mark all as read/Start New Topic".
Hope this helps.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2006, 10:20 AM »
I had a Jiffy three hp and  now I have a two hp. I would prime it, turn on the choke, and give it about half a pull before I turned the switch on. It would start on the first pull with the switch on. I also leave fresh gas in the carburetor with a stabilizer in it for the summer (was told by a mechanic that this will keep seals and diaphragms from drying out). I had the three hp for 12 years with no problems. If your plug is wet when you take it out when it doesn't start, you may have to have it leaned out some. Two cycles can be temperamental until you get used to your engines own little quirks. Just my.02.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Boob Dinkelman

« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2006, 11:03 AM »
Two cycle engines ARE tempermental little bastages.  I worked on them for years.   

That's why I use a hand auger.  :)    No gas, no stink, no noise, no hauling heavy crap around, no frustration of an engine that won't start.   Consider using one unless you're a.) a hardcore fisherman who drills a LOT (and I mean a LOT) of holes in very very deep ice, and/or b.) have a knack with two stroke engines and their quirks.

I ended up giving my power auger to my father, who doesn't use it either.

Consider using a 28V Milwaukee drill on an auger.   With the lithium ion batteries they now have, you ought to be able to reliably and without stink, gas, noise, frustration or harm to the environment or disturbing other fisherman, drill your little heart out.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2006, 11:03 AM »
make sure the gas cap vent is open ... i bought a new one because the original was causing the same problem rite out of the box . it would appear to be open but wouldn't vent

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:59 PM »
Two cycle engines ARE tempermental little bastages.  I worked on them for years.   

Boob, don't mean to sound like an ass here but if you used to work on them for years you should be good with them, no?  I find if you spend the time to get to know the little quirks your particular unit has then it's easy to start them everytime.  My buddy has the same auger w/ same engine and his starts first pull with full choke, no throttle, and sits and idles til he gives 'er gas.  Mine on the other hand wants half choke and two or three pulls while giving it a little throttle.  Identical units bought at the same time. 

Just my .02,
bucket

PS, if you like drilling by hand I'll take you out for a run and gun session for crappies up here when we have 40" of ice in February.  And leave the cordless Milwaukee at home, I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face watching you use that thing!

Boob Dinkelman

« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2006, 06:29 PM »
Boob, don't mean to sound like an ass here but if you used to work on them for years you should be good with them, no?  I find if you spend the time to get to know the little quirks your particular unit has then it's easy to start them everytime.  My buddy has the same auger w/ same engine and his starts first pull with full choke, no throttle, and sits and idles til he gives 'er gas.  Mine on the other hand wants half choke and two or three pulls while giving it a little throttle.  Identical units bought at the same time. 

Just my .02,
bucket

PS, if you like drilling by hand I'll take you out for a run and gun session for crappies up here when we have 40" of ice in February.  And leave the cordless Milwaukee at home, I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face watching you use that thing!

I said "unless you're a.) a hardcore fisherman who drills a LOT (and I mean a LOT) of holes in very very deep ice".   40" of ice is a lot of ice, and run and gun season with Crappies in that much ice is a lot of hole drilling.

I restored old snowmobiles and fixed chain saw engines and outboards for a good many years.  Air cooled 2 strokes are pains in the butt in the winter.   Heck, any engine can be a pain in the butt in the winter, no matter how well tuned.  There's a lot of people out there that don't know much about engines, and don't NEED to, they just want to drill holes and fish, and for those people, who fish in a foot of ice or less and typically drill < 20 holes each time they go fishing, a cordless is ideal. 

I've sat and listened to about a third of the people outside my favorite ice fishing spot pull their ass off, trying to start their gas augers in the time that I can hand-drill 2 or 3 holes.    Then, half of those have blades so dull that it sounds like they're going for the core of molten magma at the center of the earth, not 9 inches of ice.   Admittedly, that's a different matter, but I get a little sick of these guys showing up with a bazooka to kill a squirrel.

I also used to work for Milwaukee Electric Tool, leaving just after they released the new V28 line of tools that use a lithium ion battery.   I'll put one of those 1/2" drills with a couple charged batteries up to a day fishing the run and gun with you in 40" of ice...I think they'd surprise you even if they didn't replace your gas auger completely.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2006, 07:38 PM »
Boob, what do you think blacklabsrule's problem might be with his Jiffy? I know they had problems with EPA emission standards for a while, but I thought they got that corrected. My 3 hp was about a 1991 or 1992 model and it seems like they started having problems about 3 or 4 years ago. I'm a long way from being a mechanic.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.