The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: RE: Slippery Clutch On Jiffy Model 30  (Read 3550 times)

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
RE: Slippery Clutch On Jiffy Model 30
« on: Jan 27, 2006, 01:17 PM »
after reading that thread, i tried cleaning up the clutch some. mine would hesitate, chatter/vibrate, and sometimes stop turning while drilling. i took the clutch mechanism apart last night. i didn't find any grease or anything in there. it appeared to be nice and dry, but i took some carb cleaner and gave it a good once over. i did get some black residue on the rag, but nothing major. i hope this works. it'll cut holes, but not like it should. and it's only a year old. if this doesn't help the problem, i don't know what to do next. i'd hate to take it to a shop, don't really have the cash for that. anybody got any other suggestions or recommendations? thanks...

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: RE: Slippery Clutch On Jiffy Model 30
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2006, 10:38 AM »
nope. didn't do it. it's still doing the same thing. screw it, i'll just have to live with it i guess.   ::)

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2006, 12:23 PM »
Are your engine RPM's staying up when this happens or does the engine bog down?

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2006, 08:25 AM »
the rpm's seem to drop slightly i think...

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2006, 04:48 PM »
If your engine RPM (not auger bit) are dropping, then you probably have a fuel issue. Probably a carb cleaning (first choice) or high idle jet adjustment (second choice) would do it. I'm guessing that your engine is not getting enough fuel under load.

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2006, 09:41 AM »
good thought, but i don't think that's it. i went crappie fishin this past weekend and noticed that after cutting 6 or 8 holes, it wouldn't do it. the engine sounded the same, the way it always does. i think it must be something with the clutch. like it grabs better when it's warmed up or something.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2006, 10:24 AM »
Sounds like your motor just needs to warm up. What are you running for fuel mix?

Try Amsoil Saber Professional or Opti2 2 cycle oil mixed 100:1. You auger will run much better, cleaner and stronger.

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • VEX, is sure an expensive depth finder..
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2006, 02:02 PM »
i know of a few guys who's new jiffy  model had a clutch problem, while drilling the auger would just stop and hesitate.
The more fish we release, is more fish we all can catch.  b/c we all like to catch.   Catch, Photo, Release!!  Such an easy concept, but so hard for others to understand!!!!!

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Sounds like your motor just needs to warm up. What are you running for fuel mix?

Try Amsoil Saber Professional or Opti2 2 cycle oil mixed 100:1. You auger will run much better, cleaner and stronger.

i'm using the jiffy oil as per the manual so... but the motor runs great. no problems there. starts up good, idles good, and revs right up no problem. it's not too bad, it doesn't ever fail to cut a hole or anything. i judt don't think it's cutting like it should. my uncle's (same model) is probably 15 years old and his cuts better than mine.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2006, 06:05 PM »
I guess you are all set then.

trapperdirk

« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:06 AM »
I have to agree with Bob D here as it does sound like your prob is with warm up time and fuel mixture . I know with my Jiffy I had to adjust the high speed idle and they are known to be  cold blooded especially the newer ones . If it was a clutch issue it wouldn't matter how many holes you drilled it would jam up . With clutches they usually hardly drill at all or roar at full throttle without much happening .

TD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.