New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1094149 times)

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nope closed for 2 years plus

Offline TK464PAPD

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks I thought it was. Where is the next nearest bait shop if you know thank you for the response

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Go down route 35 about 4-5 miles towards 684 and cross river sportsman is on right about 100 feet before route 121. If u pass deli on left u went about 1/4 too far. They are located just off cross river reservoir

Offline TK464PAPD

• IceShanty Rookie
Go down route 35 about 4-5 miles towards 684 and cross river sportsman is on right about 100 feet before route 121. If u pass deli on left u went about 1/4 too far. They are located just off cross river reservoir

Copy that thank you for the info

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
10-4...NP

Offline Justinrc21

• IceShanty Rookie
Thoughts on how the next week of temps above 40 is going to affect the ice?
'For those who have defended it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know' ~Unknown~

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Ready for Round 2 tomorrow!  ;D

Offline greengiant64

• IceShanty Rookie
7 nice perch today on Putnam.  10" ice. 

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie

i think after 2 days i'd be wary.  the way im looking at it, with temps up to 55 on tuesday and rain on thursday here in westchester, tomorrow is the day.  Maybe Monday if you had the time.   once rain gets thrown into the mix especially after a few days of warm temps id be very nervous. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy

Anything that melts today will refreeze tonight, anything that melts tomorrow and Tuesday will refreeze Tuesday night, anything that melts Wednesday will refreeze Wednesday night, anything that melts Thursday and Friday will refreeze Friday night... In the next 5 days there's only 2 nights where it doesn't get below freezing. It shouldn't hurt the ice that much. It will be the edges that get hurt the most.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished a lake in ulster county today. 7 bass biggest one was about 8lb. 2 picks. A 15in crappie and a 14in perch. 7in of ice with about 6in of snow on top

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
One keeper black crappie, one short, and one keeper for my friend at Silver in Rhinebeck. Went to Upton after and got a nice yellow perch. 7-8" everywhere. Very slow but no skunk.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
What a weekend! gills and crappies on Sat evening. Gills were loaded with grubs. Sunday we caught fish and then some. My 7year old caught his first walleye 5lbs 24 3/4 inches. He also had several big pickerel and a nice largemouth. I had a big smally and a 20 inch eye. We threw back a lot of smaller legal pickerel. I am going to figure out the picture thing this evening and post.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
We finally hit Kiamesha Lake yesterday and it was both interesting and depressing. First there simply is no good parking or launching spots around the entire lake unless you know a lake property owner who will let you park. Going in off route 42 is terrible access and from the Concord road the access is much worse with guard rails and no paths.
Interesting because we did find lake depths of almost 40 feet out toward the middle and we did mark fish. Depressing because all but a bunch of dink perch had lock jaw. We caught plenty of 5 inch perch and one that might have been 8 inches plus a few decent slime dart pickerel. I see no reason why this lake could not be more productive with bigger fish on the right day but do plan to work hard just getting out on the ice if you drag a lot of gear. Most of the tiny perch came on jig rods and the smaller the better with tiny jigs and spikes or meal worms. No real action from tip ups with bait fish. I was expecting there could be either walleye or trout being a deep water lake but can't prove that by us after this outing.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline jrock13

• IceShanty Rookie
Fished a lake in ulster county today. 7 bass biggest one was about 8lb. 2 picks. A 15in crappie and a 14in perch. 7in of ice with about 6in of snow on top

Which lake is that? I live in Ulster County, wouldn't mind catching an 8lb bass haha

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Got four gills , almost five but got caught in the ducer and fell back in, a largemouth and my dad got a largemouth. Heat today beat down most of the snow and the walking conditions were excellent.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Does anyone know the access situation on Lake Louisa Marie and Wanaksink Lake in Sullivan County?

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anything that melts today will refreeze tonight, anything that melts tomorrow and Tuesday will refreeze Tuesday night, anything that melts Wednesday will refreeze Wednesday night, anything that melts Thursday and Friday will refreeze Friday night... In the next 5 days there's only 2 nights where it doesn't get below freezing. It shouldn't hurt the ice that much. It will be the edges that get hurt the most.
weds to Late Friday night is gonna crush the ice in Putnam and Westchester let alone the rain!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
What a weekend! gills and crappies on Sat evening. Gills were loaded with grubs. Sunday we caught fish and then some. My 7year old caught his first walleye 5lbs 24 3/4 inches. He also had several big pickerel and a nice largemouth. I had a big smally and a 20 inch eye. We threw back a lot of smaller legal pickerel. I am going to figure out the picture thing this evening and post.
great job beechwoods 16...sounds like you and your boy had a lot of fun !
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict

My son is seven. This is his fourth year on the ice. Now of course I do a lot of leg work but he told me where to drill his holes, set his own depth, and set the hook on every fish yesterday. Also I will admit to sticking my whole arm in under that eye ;D

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
great job beechwoods 16...sounds like you and your boy had a lot of fun !
Thanks Choo Choo

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Congrats beachwoods, looks like a fun trip

Offline beartracks

• IceShanty Rookie
Excellent catch, loved the eye, your son must be in his glory.

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great shots hope to get my 6 year old son out this year for 1st ice day!

Offline Gameover

• IceShanty Rookie
Does anyone know the access situation on Lake Louisa Marie and Wanaksink Lake in Sullivan County?
Lake Louise Marie and Wanaksink are both private. No public access.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Thanks Gameover.

Got out a bit this morning. Didn't mark many fish.

+1 dink yellow

Offline bronxbasser

• IceShanty Rookie
Nice job! I got my kids on some pickerel and bass before the Super Bowl. It’s a lot of work with kids but it’s all well worth it!

My son is seven. This is his fourth year on the ice. Now of course I do a lot of leg work but he told me where to drill his holes, set his own depth, and set the hook on every fish yesterday. Also I will admit to sticking my whole arm in under that eye ;D

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy

nice eyes

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Ice seems to be holding up fine even though it was 62 today. Still 7-7.5 up here in Ulster Co. 3 largemouth jigging and one gill for my dad.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I am thinking from a bunch of years here this warm up after some snow but with 6-11 inches of ice below it won't make much difference.  Areas with just 5-6 inches of good ice and a light snow coat will suffer more. Snow on top melts and become white and weak ice but if the ice under it is good the snow and melt becomes insulation from above. More ice but not as strong.

Places with 6 or more inches should be OK but less than a solid 6 and you need to be careful, ICE PICKS AROUND YOUR NECK FOR SURE!!! I did a couple cold water dunks so take my advice for what it is worth.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.