The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wyoming Off Topic Thread  (Read 123072 times)

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
3.08 gears
« Reply #60 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Anybody have a silverado w/ 3.08 gears and six speed auto. I know everybody has opinions but interested in actual experience with this setup in wyoming wind, grades, pulling 16 foot boat.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 3.08 gears
« Reply #61 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:39 PM »
no experience on the exact unit.  VERY tall gearing -loads will be tough into the wind.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:48 PM »
which engine are you looking at for it? 
Don

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 17, 2011, 12:32 AM »
My work truck is a 3/4 ton Chevy with a 6.0 and a six speed and almost positive has 3.73 gears and it struggles pretty bad in the wind and hills and I really never pulled anything to heavy.  My Nissan Titan has 4.10 set up with a five speed and will out pull the Chevy easily.

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 17, 2011, 01:35 PM »
I'm looking at 5.3/6speed aut0/ 3.08 gears. I drive a 3/4 ton with 8.1/6speed stick/4.10 now. It is a puller but I will never buy another 3/4 ton truck again. I do alot of 1 day fishing trips, Cheyenne to glendo and use 25 gallons of fuel. I have a little boat and it only goes out 6 times a year. dont need a stump puller to haul my ice hut in the bed.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 17, 2011, 01:49 PM »
8 mpg sure does suck,  I would never drive my F250 if it was that bad. 
Don

Offline 307_bows

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 17, 2011, 05:23 PM »
My dad has a 2010 Silvarado 1500 with the 6.2L and the 6-speed Allison. We took it to Washington st. this summer and pulled a horse trailer with two horses and a fully loaded truck, and got about 12MPG on the way up there. On the way back, with out the trailer we averaged 18MPG at interstate speeds. Not sure about the gears it has in it, but its a pullin' machine. never once had to take off the cruise control to go up or down a hill.
You can take the boy from Wyoming, but you can never take Wyoming from the boy.

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Dec 18, 2011, 05:24 PM »
my cuz has a 04 silverado with the 5.3L. dont know what the gearing is or tranny but it pulls his 1960 14ft bumper pull like it was nothing. same camper killed my 98 silverado with 5.7L about 3 years ago.that camper is heavy so i can say his truck does very well
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wyoming Off Topic Thread
« Reply #68 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Quick story: on the last day of duck season up here I was making a stalk on a pair of buffleheads (something I really wanted for the wall) and a coyote ran down the shoreline after them and ruined my last chance. I had four shells left for the shotgun and wanted to find some way to use them up today. I was intending to hunt spruce grouse, but on the way there stopped to check out all the ducks in the lagoon. There I saw the coyote, same one that screwed me over harassing the ducks. I crouched behind a log as it came down the shore toward me and squeaked at it. The coyote came running full tilt right at me, and stopped at the log I was crouched behind. Close enough to hear it breathing! Too bad they aren't that dumb back home! Shot it at about 5 yards. 3" steel did work! Not too shabby for my first ever coyote!
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #69 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Nice sized dog Kyle! Congrats on your first one!
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #70 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:11 PM »
That's frickin' awesome! One day me and my dad were waterfowl hunting on the river. We were sneaking up to the river's edge but the edge is the top of a hill in that area. We're about 100 yards from the bank when a coyote pops up right where we're headed, shakes off and commences to run right at us clicking his hills without a worry in the world. Me and my dad were in the wide open in the middle of shin high sage brush and he ran right at us. When he got to about 7 yards he finally noticed me and turned....so i put some 3" steel right through his shoulder. DRT! Wish that kind of stuff would happen more often. Oh and after taking pictures with the coyote, we continued to sneak up to the bank and my dad whacked a goose off of it :)
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:44 AM »
This buck was in the neighboring church's yard a few days ago.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #72 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:19 AM »
Not a bad buck Joe. Nice stickers on his left side. couple more years and he'll be really nice.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Thats a beutiful buck he would really like the pampering he would get from me dusting him weekly on my wall  ;D ;D
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:54 PM »
This buck was in the neighboring church's yard a few days ago.

(Image removed from quote.)

That is the same one I let go this year....

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Just picked up a mission bx1 bow with accessories of craigslist. I am new to archery and didn't want to spend alot. Just need arrows and a target now. with all the crappy ice this year I think I may do more shooting than fishing.

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #76 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:52 PM »
Just picked up a mission bx1 bow with accessories of craigslist. I am new to archery and didn't want to spend alot. Just need arrows and a target now. with all the crappy ice this year I think I may do more shooting than fishing.

Congrats, and welcome to the world of archery! I enjoy it so much I haven't hunted big game with a rifle in over ten years! Just got a new Bowtech Destroyer 340 not long ago, and am in the market for another longbow  ;)

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:02 AM »
I was looking at the bowtechs pretty seriously but I didn't want to spend alot on my first one, gotta love craigslist. I guess you can trade these in at pro shops like a truck. I figure I can use this one for a season and see if I like it. Who knows it might be all I need for 10 years.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #78 on: Jan 01, 2012, 05:04 AM »
don't forget archerytalk.com hump! I bought a bowtech 82nd airborne off there for less then $500 bucks. ended up being 492 after shipping, and paying the "gift" option on paypal.....It had been shot a grand total of 12 times. Basically got an all new bowtech for half the price! Can't beat it!
Trent Williams

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #79 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:10 AM »
I was going to mention archerytalk.com too. There are dozens of new sale posts everyday. You can get some great deals, and even trade up.

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:59 PM »
+1 on Archerytalk.com great site!!!! I bought a new Pse Evo off there this past summer... $100 off msrp from Dave (Buellhunter)

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:47 PM »
I like craigslist cause you can go look at the item in person and meet the seller to see if they are shady. I got the bow with 4 pin sight, rest, quiver, and release for 400. Also picked up a cabelas fly rod with reel backing and fly line, and case for 50. Merry Christmas Matt. Go 9ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:08 AM »
These guys and gals visited us yesterday. The big buck was in the neighborhood, we heard, but didn't come to visit.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:25 PM »
Never did find the pic of my harlequin, so I took a quick one at the taxidermist.
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #84 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:42 AM »
Awesome Kyle!

and that's about the size of the deer I killed this year er! hahaha
Trent Williams

Offline bsrkoacar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 07, 2012, 12:46 AM »
kind of off subject but does anyone know of any decent muskie/pike lakes in the wyoming/colorado area?  I spend summers in northern minnesota and chase muskies all summer.  I go through some serious muskie withdraws when i come back haha.  Ive herd steamboat has a great trophy pike lake, has anyone ever fished it?

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #86 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:14 PM »
Thought you all might enjoy this. Dug up some footage of a head-shot I made on a turkey with my bow and threw it on youtube ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stg8ix9F-0o

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:08 PM »
kind of off subject but does anyone know of any decent muskie/pike lakes in the wyoming/colorado area?  I spend summers in northern minnesota and chase muskies all summer.  I go through some serious muskie withdraws when i come back haha.  Ive herd steamboat has a great trophy pike lake, has anyone ever fished it?
Stagecoach which is just a few miles south and east of Steamboat had some nice pike in it. I haven't fished it for a few years but they used to catch some real hogs out of there.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #88 on: Jan 13, 2012, 12:38 AM »
loved that vid Zach....was that video shot near Riverton??? :) I would like to find a closer place to hunt those big birds instead of going all the way to sundance!
Trent Williams

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #89 on: Jan 13, 2012, 12:26 PM »
Man, I wish it was shot near Riverton! Actually, it's Nebraska. There are turkeys near Riverton, not many and mostly on a particular piece of private property. The Casper mountain to Laramie Peak area has them too. Pretty huntable populations if you can find them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.