Author Topic: Hawaii  (Read 2302 times)

Offline OD0814

• IceShanty Rookie
Hawaii
« on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:25 AM »
A bit of a change up from ice fishing, but my wife and I are heading to Oahu and Maui for a couple weeks at the start of February for our honeymoon.  It's both of our first time visiting Hawaii so I'm looking for any "must see/must do" ideas that all of you wise folks might have.  Particularly interested in fishing, golfing, hiking, agriculture, restaurant recommendations, etc.  So far we are planning to tour Pearl Harbour and the Dole Plantation while on Oahu, and we don't really have any plans in Maui yet besides relaxing on the beach!

Thanks in advance!

Offline ahav

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:42 AM »
My wife and I went in May of 2018 to Oahu.  My second time.  We didn't do any fishing though.  I did catch a crab and that ***** pinched the crap our of my thumb.  Pearl Harbor is a MUST.  We stayed in an AIRBNB just north of Diamond Head.  The diamond head hike is not bad.  Busy and "touristy" but a nice hike.  I also did a "Lanikai pill box" hike on the east side by Laniki Beach.  Laniki beach was the best beach on that island, we thought.  we circled the entire island two times to check everything out over a weeks time.  Our two favorite things overall though were... The Koko head trail and the Hanauma bay snorkeling.  We did several other hikes and snorkeling spots also.  Lots of sunscreen too!  We just ate food at our room from the grocery store.  We saved on food costs to be able to spend it elsewhere.  A definite must to is the Maita'i catamaran sunset cruise! It was amazing!  Ah, now Im getting all worked up and wanting to plan my next trip there....  No matter where you go, there will be lots of people there before you get there.  But, it is best to do your hikes at sun up to enjoy the views and to avoid the mass crowds of people.  The Dole plantation was a quick stop on our last day, we didn't do a tour, just a self guided quick walk and it wasn't anything too amazing.

Offline walleyeking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:43 AM »
congrats on your wedding [honeymoon] if your going to golf and fish on your honeymoon I know a good divorce lawyer when you get back in Saskatchewan. lol 

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:38 AM »
Congrats OD0!

Have gone the last 8 years and going again this winter, we usually stay on Maui in the Kihei/South Wailea region.

As mentioned, Pearl Harbour is a must. Pretty amazing and humbling experience.

The road to Hanah on Maui is fun to check out once. If you plan to go, rent a decent 4x4 and pick a fair weather day. I've seen that road washed out before and it's extremely narrow at the best of times with lots of switchbacks. It's beautiful scenery but if you or your wife are prone to motion sickness or get car sick it might not be a great idea.

As for restaurants, my favourite by far on Maui is Mommas Fish House in Paia. Great food and awesome scenery with the restaurant bein right on the beach. Lots of turtles there too.

As for fishing on Maui, don't waste your money on a charter. Offshore fishing on Maui isn't very good this time of year for bigger fish. You can catch bottom fish but in my opinion I'd save your money.

Best part about Hawaii though is you don't need an anglers license. I bring a rod down every year and just fish from shore at night. If you are respectful to the locals and give them their space they are very helpful in my experience. You'll see them filing down in the evening to the beaches and most of them are pretty approachable if you have any questions.

Best spot I've found is up by the harbour and airport for night fishing. You can get into some pretty decent sized sharks from shore at night and they fight like crazy. One really good piece of advice here that might save you some hassle. If you happen to get into a shark and land it on the beach treat it very carefully and release it. The locals will pretty much run you off the beach if you hurt or kill a shark. It's a very bad omen to them if you kill or hurt a shark. Just a heads up.

As for beaches, the coast is littered with great spots. If you check out big beach be careful in the water. There's a decent ledge right off the shore that creates a wicked under current at high and low tides and I've experienced a pretty strong rip at times there too. It's not an unsafe beach by any means but it can be challenging at times, especially for people that have limited experience swimming in the ocean. It can eat you up and spit you out pretty fast...haha.

Other than that, shoot me a PM if you have any more q's. Enjoy the trip!! Best place to travel in my opinion!! Absolutely love it there, you'll have a blast

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:52 AM »
My wife and I have been to both islands.. It is awesome..!
Maui- Do the road to Hana - eat at the monkey pod restaurant.. Likely the best fish we have ever had.
When we were there I took the family on a deep sea fishing trip for the day, likely the best money I spent there.. We managed 2 mahi mahi, it was unreal. I cant image hooking into a sale fish or something huge..
I will 100% do it again. We preferred Maui over Oahu, Oahu was much busier, and not our scene. However, I could spend 2 days at pearl harbor, it is unreal.
The north shore of Oahu was pretty cool day trip as well, and we also did the plantation. very cool..

Have fun, you will love it.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:21 PM »
Just got back on Saturday from our third trip to Maui.  IT IS PARADISE!!!  We have always stayed in Kihei.  All three times we have went at Christmas, the weather has been perfect.  28 and sunny every day.  I met a few fishermen and chatted with them.  As Farmboy said, you can fish from shore for free and catch a lot of species.  I never did try, but plan to next time. 
As for things to do:
-Road to Hana-lots of waterfalls, Blacksand Beach (Waianapanapa State Park) is a real gem
-Kaanapali Beach - jump off Blackrock
-Big Beach (Makena) is a beautiful place (you can go to Little Beach if you're into that sort of thing  :o)
-Snorkeling is unreal - Molokini Crater is a fantastic trip.  We went with Pacific Whale Foundation.  Very good outfit
-Any of the beaches in the south Maui area are spectacular.  We stayed near Kamaole III
-Sunrise at Haleakala is pretty awesome (Government shut down right now may make you not want to go)
-Cinnamon Roll Place has THE BEST cinnamon buns period.
-Lahaina is a really cool town to shop through.  Couple great places to eat are Lahaina Pizza Co. (deep dish) and Cheeseburger in Paradise
-Boogie Boarding at D.T. Fleming Beach was sweet
-the town of Paia is a small little cool hippie town with good shopping. Check out Mana Foods.  A very special grocery store that has very good lunch options.
-just past that is Ho'okipa Beach Park to watch the surfers and check out the turtles sunning themselves on the beach.
This is just a few of the things.  We were very sad to leave.  PM me if you want other details. 
-
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:23 PM »
A bit of a change up from ice fishing, but my wife and I are heading to Oahu and Maui for a couple weeks at the start of February for our honeymoon.  It's both of our first time visiting Hawaii so I'm looking for any "must see/must do" ideas that all of you wise folks might have.  Particularly interested in fishing, golfing, hiking, agriculture, restaurant recommendations, etc.  So far we are planning to tour Pearl Harbour and the Dole Plantation while on Oahu, and we don't really have any plans in Maui yet besides relaxing on the beach!

Thanks in advance!

this is an ice fishing site, for ice fishing  topics only. beat it nerd!  ;D ;D ;D
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:25 PM »
Congrats OD0!

Have gone the last 8 years and going again this winter, we usually stay on Maui in the Kihei/South Wailea region.

As mentioned, Pearl Harbour is a must. Pretty amazing and humbling experience.

The road to Hanah on Maui is fun to check out once. If you plan to go, rent a decent 4x4 and pick a fair weather day. I've seen that road washed out before and it's extremely narrow at the best of times with lots of switchbacks. It's beautiful scenery but if you or your wife are prone to motion sickness or get car sick it might not be a great idea.

As for restaurants, my favourite by far on Maui is Mommas Fish House in Paia. Great food and awesome scenery with the restaurant bein right on the beach. Lots of turtles there too.

As for fishing on Maui, don't waste your money on a charter. Offshore fishing on Maui isn't very good this time of year for bigger fish. You can catch bottom fish but in my opinion I'd save your money.

Best part about Hawaii though is you don't need an anglers license. I bring a rod down every year and just fish from shore at night. If you are respectful to the locals and give them their space they are very helpful in my experience. You'll see them filing down in the evening to the beaches and most of them are pretty approachable if you have any questions.

Best spot I've found is up by the harbour and airport for night fishing. You can get into some pretty decent sized sharks from shore at night and they fight like crazy. One really good piece of advice here that might save you some hassle. If you happen to get into a shark and land it on the beach treat it very carefully and release it. The locals will pretty much run you off the beach if you hurt or kill a shark. It's a very bad omen to them if you kill or hurt a shark. Just a heads up.

As for beaches, the coast is littered with great spots. If you check out big beach be careful in the water. There's a decent ledge right off the shore that creates a wicked under current at high and low tides and I've experienced a pretty strong rip at times there too. It's not an unsafe beach by any means but it can be challenging at times, especially for people that have limited experience swimming in the ocean. It can eat you up and spit you out pretty fast...haha.

Other than that, shoot me a PM if you have any more q's. Enjoy the trip!! Best place to travel in my opinion!! Absolutely love it there, you'll have a blast

Heed this warning about Big Beach.  It's not called Breakneck Beach for no reason.  The shore break there is very dangerous.  Talk to a life guard.  They rescue people there weekly. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2019, 03:09 PM »
All good info there for you enjoy the trip.

Maui is awesome!!!!

Offline OD0814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2019, 03:40 PM »
Wow thanks everyone for the great responses!  Except for zforste1 not sure who pissed in his cornflakes!  :P

Definitely going to do some snorkeling when we are on Maui; I think we are only in Oahu for 3 nights and then over to Maui for 8 or so.  I have only heard good things about Hawaii so I'm definitely looking forward to it! I have heard about a few of these suggestions but there are definitely some new ones worth looking into. Guess I'll have to bring Ice Shanty with me and keep checking it in Hawaii  ;D

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:20 PM »
Wow thanks everyone for the great responses!  Except for zforste1 not sure who pissed in his cornflakes!  :P

Definitely going to do some snorkeling when we are on Maui; I think we are only in Oahu for 3 nights and then over to Maui for 8 or so.  I have only heard good things about Hawaii so I'm definitely looking forward to it! I have heard about a few of these suggestions but there are definitely some new ones worth looking into. Guess I'll have to bring Ice Shanty with me and keep checking it in Hawaii  ;D

Hes prob just a bit upset he won't get a tan until july lol

the flight is a bit long if travelling with kids but still well worth it.   snorkelling is great!!

Where in kihei are you staying?

We saw steven tyler come out of a help when we took a drive one day walked right past my window

Offline OD0814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:49 AM »
Thank you all for taking the time to respond and add your input! 

No kids for us but the wife isn't the greatest flyer, I am sure she will be okay on the trip to Hawaii because of the excitement, not sure on the way back home to Sask lol.

We are staying in Ka'anapali which is up on the north west side of Maui. I'll be renting a vehicle while on Maui so I am planning to check out as much of the island as we can. 

Offline toxic111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:41 PM »
Yes, see pearl harbour... if there is a high surf warning, go to the north shore & check out the waves, be prepared for traffic though.  Traffic in Honolulu is like LA, but the city is only the size of Edmonton.

I haven't done Maul, but my wife has, she says the road to Hana is worth it.

Can't tell you for fishing, as I prefer the Big island.  We have got 3 blue marlin there in 2 trips... one 120lb one & one around 250lbs... the third we lost right at the boat.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:51 AM »
even do half the road to hana...  that is usually enough for most youll see why

enjoy

Offline OD0814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:57 AM »
Well folks we have finished up our Oahu portion of the trip and halfway through the Maui part. Sad to think about heading back to ice cold Saskatchewan in a few days!

We did Pearl Harbour and saw the Bowfin submarine, the USS Missouri, Pacific Aviation Museum, and of course the USS Arizona. A very amazing experience! The Arizona is still being renovated so we were not able to get off the boat but still got to see the gun turret and the memorial.

We did a catamaran cruise one afternoon and saw some whales and had some delicious mai tais on board. We went to Kualoa Ranch and did the Taste of Kualoa tour; not bad but not amazing either. The highlight of the trip to Oahu was the day we spent at the Polynesian Cultural Centre, what an amazing place! Very well run and the staff are great at their jobs. Lots of laughs and learned a lot about the culture. In my opinion it's a must see on Oahu.

We used Uber and Lyft to get around and had great experiences. Took a cab once because we had no choice and it was terrible and 1.5 times as expensive as the Uber we took on the same route earlier!

Been in Maui for 6 days now and it's amazing! We are staying in an AirBNB and it's great, bought groceries on our first day here so we have been eating most of our suppers in our suite. We did the Molokini snorkel tour and it was great, my first time snorkeling and we saw a tonne of fish and a lot of active whales from the boat. Wife and I went to Ka'anapali Besch and snorkeled around there and I saw a turtle which was pretty sweet!

Heading out on a helicopter tour tomorrow morning and we are real excited for it! It was super windy here today and rainy so I'm hoping the weather is better tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, wish I could do them all! Guess we'll have to come back again  ;D

Cheers!

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Glad to hear you and your wife are having a good time!

My family and I are actually heading to Kihei on Feb 18th.  Should be a good time.  This will be my first time to the islands as well.  We will be there until March 7th.  I'm kinda torn, b/c I'll miss out on some ice fishing, but the way the last few weeks have been, I'm happy to be getting away.  I'm planning on snorkeling quite a bit and going on the road to Hana, sunrises/sunsets, seven sacred pools, etc.  I'll post a few pics when I get back. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.