The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Baitfish meeting tonight in St. Albans  (Read 3073 times)

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Baitfish meeting tonight in St. Albans
« on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:24 PM »
At the Ed Ctr. 169 So. Main St. 6PM

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Baitfish meeting tonight in St. Albans
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:27 PM »
Mudchuck! Are you going? That is too far for me tonight but I am very eager to learn more about the option 3 proposal that seemed to be liked. Can you ask them what the price range would be if VT passes the proposed "wild bait fish endorsement" that will allow angler to transport wild harvested bait fish in their zone? Thanks a bunch and please update this thread if you go. Tight Lines.
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:16 AM »
Mudchuck! Are you going? That is too far for me tonight but I am very eager to learn more about the option 3 proposal that seemed to be liked. Can you ask them what the price range would be if VT passes the proposed "wild bait fish endorsement" that will allow angler to transport wild harvested bait fish in their zone? Thanks a bunch and please update this thread if you go. Tight Lines.

I went.

I was liking most everything that was presented until the end when the public comment started having the bait dealers chiming in.
The "endorsement" on one's fishing license is after completing either an online 10-15 question quiz or at a dealers tackle shop. There's no fee (as of now), and the F&W group feel they can manage the small amount of costs associated with administering the quiz/endorsement, however, the bait dealers all chimed in at the end stating they think we should pay for the endorsement (since's it's such a tremendous responsibility to carry this burden on ourselves we'd take it more seriously if we had to pay for the endorsement rather than it being fee free).

There are far more details to share beyond which I can write up in this blog, but I highly suggest everyone go onto the F&W website and put in your public comments while you have the opportunity.

I strongly feel we should not have to pay to get the yearly endorsement to trap & use our own bait like the bait dealers suggested. The F&W board has proposed this as a fee free endorsement and it should remain as such

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:10 AM »
First post of the year, here we go.

Personally, I would have zero problem paying a nominal fee for an endorsement on my license to trap my own bait. 

Having to complete a 10-15 question quiz in order to get the endorsement is a good idea.  I see it as the only way of insuring the person obtaining the endorsement has received the information they should regarding proper bait harvest, transportation, and use on VT bodies of water.  Whether or not that person decides to practice proper bait harvest, use, and transportation from that point on is on them. 

You can put the information in the law book, post it on a website, post it on bulletin boards at boat launches, it still doesn't mean people will read or see it.  This would make them look pretty daft when they make the "Well, I didn't know that!" comment as they are being ticketed by the Warden, because they were given the information in the endorsement quiz.

Being able to trap our own bait I see as a privilege.  I am not one for more fees and regulations, but it could be worse.  The regulations could stay as is, or fisherman be banned from using live bait all together.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:49 AM »
First post of the year, here we go.

Personally, I would have zero problem paying a nominal fee for an endorsement on my license to trap my own bait. 

Having to complete a 10-15 question quiz in order to get the endorsement is even better in my mind.  I see it as the only way of insuring the person obtaining the endorsement has received the information they should regarding proper bait harvest, transportation, and use on VT bodies of water.  Whether or not that person decides to practice proper bait harvest, use, and transportation from that point on is on them. 

You can put the information in the law book, post it on a website, post it on bulletin boards at boat launches, it still doesn't mean people will read or see it.  This would make them look pretty daft when they make the "Well, I didn't know that!" comment as they are being ticketed by the Warden, because they were given the information in the endorsement quiz.

We're all entitles to our own opinions. That said, why should I have to pay for what you perceive to be a privilege to trap my own bait, especially if I'm only using it for personal use, much like those in the pond and stream at my or my kids properties, that I've had chubs and fatheads for as long as I can remember.
As for what I also brought up in the meeting, is that we can potentially be allowed to sell smelt (and possibly other baits?) to bait dealers, and THAT I feel should require a fee, in that money is being transacted, and the ramifications of someone trapping bait and selling to someone is what I'd be more concerned about.

Being able to trap our own bait I see as a privilege.  I am not one for more fees and regulations, but it could be worse.  The regulations could stay as is, or fisherman be banned from using live bait all together.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:22 PM »
I'm just saying I would have no problem paying a nominal fee for a bait trapping endorsement. 

My apologies, I changed my original post FROM "Having to complete a 10-15 question quiz in order to get the endorsement is even better in my mind" TO "Having to complete a 10-15 question quiz in order to get the endorsement is a good idea." 

What I wrote initially sounded like I am for a fee and a quiz in addition to the fee.  I am not for having a fee, but I am not opposed to it either.  At a minimum I think you should have to take a quiz to get the endorsement. 

Having the quiz as a mechanism to inform anglers of proper bait harvest, transportation, and use to help prevent the spread of invasive species and disease wouldnt be a bad thing.

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:19 AM »
Fishing is becoming more like solving a rubiks cube that cost a lot of money! It's no wonder less and less young people are involving themselves. I agree Mudchuck; the endorsement should not cost money- however my bottom line, I am glad that they are trying to find a solution to the ridiculous regulations they have now.

Is it illegal to transport crawdads?
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Fishing is becoming more like solving a rubiks cube that cost a lot of money! It's no wonder less and less young people are involving themselves. I agree Mudchuck; the endorsement should not cost money- however my bottom line, I am glad that they are trying to find a solution to the ridiculous regulations they have now.

I think they should charge for the endorsement to catch smelt/suckers/shiners & then sell to bait dealers only...all other catch and personal use should be fee free.

Is it illegal to transport crawdads? NOT YET!

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:13 AM »
Guessing - I think the state may allow us to trap baitfish in Champlain zone and then again possibly
Magog drainage at least that was discussed years ago.

Salem/Magog smelt like it not are being used in many of the NEK lakes that eventually flow into Magog.

Same is true for Champlain so hopefully state will refine current bait laws to allow use with those
watersheds. 

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:56 AM »
Guessing - I think the state may allow us to trap baitfish in Champlain zone and then again possibly
Magog drainage at least that was discussed years ago.

blacklisted zones will have the restriction of not moving trapped bait off those bodies of water

Salem/Magog smelt like it not are being used in many of the NEK lakes that eventually flow into Magog.

Same is true for Champlain so hopefully state will refine current bait laws to allow use with those
watersheds.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:11 AM »
Anyone hit the Bratt meeting last night?  I'm headed to the Rutland one next week. 

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:57 AM »
I would welcome a little quiz, there are a lot of stupid people out there, and if we give them free reign lord knows what could happen. Fee? Meh I guess if I have to pay $20-30 one time to save me $100 every weekend at a bait shop, I probably would fork out the money to the state. I think that the current bait laws suck, but what would suck worse is if things like VHS got into our inland waterbodies.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:50 AM »
Ditto Keith

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:55 AM »
I would welcome a little quiz, there are a lot of stupid people out there, and if we give them free reign lord knows what could happen. Fee? Meh I guess if I have to pay $20-30 one time to save me $100 every weekend at a bait shop, I probably would fork out the money to the state. I think that the current bait laws suck, but what would suck worse is if things like VHS got into our inland waterbodies.

This will be yearly quiz & yearly fee

Offline Mad Tom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:42 PM »
In a previous post it was mentioned about paying a fee to sell bait to dealers.  Not sure that would be feasible because the dealers would have to sell that particular bait for the drainage it was removed from. Could be done but to much room for human error, on purpose or otherwise. 

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:55 PM »
a short quiz ounce a year does not seem like a big deal.  fee...???  would rather see a small fee on people that sell fish for profit . mudchuck....your red font is stuck on ::)

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:20 PM »
a short quiz ounce a year does not seem like a big deal.  fee...???  would rather see a small fee on people that sell fish for profit . mudchuck....your red font is stuck on ::)

I'm not opposed to annual quiz, especially if it's online line Alan suggested at the meeting.
I'm opposed to the any fee for the endoresment on the fishing license to trap & use baitfish for personal use. I'm for a fee on the endoresement if a person traps & intends to sell the baitfish to bait & tackle shops.
The bait & tackle shop guys at the meeting all want to see a fee on all of us, I'm assuming this is because it cuts into their sales.

Offline Mad Tom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:04 PM »
I agree with Mudchuck. If fish and wildlife want more revenue, how about having kayakers pay for a sticker to use boat ramps.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:37 AM »
I agree with Mudchuck. If fish and wildlife want more revenue, how about having kayakers pay for a sticker to use boat ramps.

I'm not opposed to registration fees for kayaks, canoes or other watercraft, however, if the people using those are actually fishing, then they've already paid to use the public launches, so not sure how this would be handled. If they're just using the launches to pleasure craft the waters, then they should have to pay for access since we all paid for them thru our fishing licenses.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:36 AM »
I'm not opposed to registration fees for kayaks, canoes or other watercraft, however, if the people using those are actually fishing, then they've already paid to use the public launches, so not sure how this would be handled. If they're just using the launches to pleasure craft the waters, then they should have to pay for access since we all paid for them thru our fishing licenses.

Just as unfair to target another group - public boat ramps are open to all watercraft -

Now a flat fee to all registered (motorized) watercraft (5$) for boat ramp maintenance is not insane. Seems this maintenance should come out of boat registration fees in my opinion. Doesn't make sense to take it from fishing license fees since many pleasure boaters use the ramps.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:01 AM »
Just as unfair to target another group - public boat ramps are open to all watercraft -

Now a flat fee to all registered (motorized) watercraft (5$) for boat ramp maintenance is not insane. Seems this maintenance should come out of boat registration fees in my opinion. Doesn't make sense to take it from fishing license fees since many pleasure boaters use the ramps.

Watercraft that are powered, along with fishing licenses pay for public launches, watercraft like kayaks, canoes, windsurf do not, unless they're fishing from said craft, then the person's fishing license helped pay for the launch.
Getting facts straight. Also, just for clarification, any craft that is powered requires registration that involves a fee which covers paying for launches.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:44 AM »
Watercraft that are powered, along with fishing licenses pay for public launches, watercraft like kayaks, canoes, windsurf do not, unless they're fishing from said craft, then the person's fishing license helped pay for the launch.
Getting facts straight. Also, just for clarification, any craft that is powered requires registration that involves a fee which covers paying for launches.

Exactly. The anlgers/hunters have the priority at State Controlled Access Areas. It even states in the rule book that you can't use snowmobiles/ATVs at access areas, unless you are using them solely for the purpose of fishing.

Offline Mad Tom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:43 PM »

I hate having to sit at the top of a ramp with my registered boat while kayakers are di%$ing around on the ramp. For one example, spent almost 25 minutes waiting to get my boat into Harriman while 3 carloads of non fishing kayakers were screwing around on the ramp.  Gale can be just as bad.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:01 PM »
VHS hasn't got into the water yet and MANY fishermen are still using Magog/Salem/Willo smelt in all the NEK lakes for lakers and salmon. It is illegal but they continue to do it and there is no VHS crap!

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:59 PM »
Yes! Make the blowboaters and paddlers register! They are using the the ramps and water just the same as powered vessels!
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline FishHawkVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:37 PM »
"The anlgers/hunters have the priority at State Controlled Access Areas."

Sounds great in theory - but we all know this doesn't happen.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:41 PM »
Long gone are the days when one could go trap a dozen shad and go fish walleyes...... things used to be much simpler then now we have to make everything more complicated and expensive
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:21 PM »

So the people who don’t pay are non-motorized, non-fisherman

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:22 PM »
I hate having to sit at the top of a ramp with my registered boat while kayakers are di%$ing around on the ramp. For one example, spent almost 25 minutes waiting to get my boat into Harriman while 3 carloads of non fishing kayakers were screwing around on the ramp.  Gale can be just as bad.

Ditto - I’m just saying they are allowed to use them . There are a lot of things I hate that i have to put up with

Offline Perchpounder94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:12 PM »
I called the state on the craw dad thing  and even though crustaceans are not specifically named in the guidelines, they are gonna get you in trouble if they have been transported. Go figure. Another potentially expensive grey area in our long list of regulations.
"Leave your problems at the bottom of the lake" ~a wise father

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.