The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Magog this weekend  (Read 2259 times)

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Magog this weekend
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:31 AM »
How's Magog looking for the coming weekend? EDIT. I should have been much more specific. How is the ice thickness on the main Portion of the lake? And south bay?
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Magog this weekend
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:20 AM »
South bay theyre driving on it.
Main lake 4 wheelers and sleds.
Pressure crack over near the twins.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline dslav

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:32 AM »
Is there any snow on top of the ice? We are going this weekend too but we will be on foot so I was wondering if it would be easy walking.

Thanks in advance!

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Thank you very much  :tipup:  I've only fished gog twice, Main lake for trout but south bay is where the pike are at according to my searches?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2019, 10:47 AM »
Yes snow on the ice, not alot. But possibly quite a bit coming this weekend.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2019, 12:24 PM »
Thank you very much  :tipup:  I've only fished gog twice, Main lake for trout but south bay is where the pike are at according to my searches?

That is correct you will find most of the pike in south bay, they do get some on the main lake but not many. Trout, perch on the main lake, and pike, perch in south bay as a rule. Good luck if you make it up.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:58 AM »
any one fishing smelt at magog
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:26 PM »
As for overall variety of fish species, what's the potential for Easter eggs up there? i.e. walleye, crappie, burbot? Other unique fish that make for a cool surprise? Obviously it's not Lake Champlain, but being a big body of water, there must be some oddities now and then?   How easy is it to spot the large pressure crack up there? I'll be getting onto the ice at 3am so we'll be flying by flashlight on the hike out.

Offline shippeevt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2019, 03:38 AM »
I'll be there Friday!
A bad day of fishing, is always better than a good day at work!

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:59 AM »
I'll be out early Saturday from Eagle Pt.  Most likely west of the twins in a big blue Clam with a snow machine.  Good luck everyone!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:10 PM »
As for overall variety of fish species, what's the potential for Easter eggs up there? i.e. walleye, crappie, burbot? Other unique fish that make for a cool surprise? Obviously it's not Lake Champlain, but being a big body of water, there must be some oddities now and then?   How easy is it to spot the large pressure crack up there? I'll be getting onto the ice at 3am so we'll be flying by flashlight on the hike out.

Pressure crack right between the islands.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Neksportsman850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Where are you going on at? Pressure crack right off South Island. Usually it’s closer to strawberry. Very easy to spot as the ice is a few feet high lol

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:43 AM »
I am unsure of the intended launch site still, but I am glad to hear that it's an obvious crack and not one of the sneaky ones. Bringing a buddy out with me, his third time on the ice. His first time ever, he had his boot go through on champ. Over very deep water. Took off walking with his cousins and didn't realize they hit a channel. Thankfully just resulted in a scare and a lesson learned for them all. So he's a little persistent on me getting some positive vibes about the ice conditions.  ::) First time he has to squat-plunge a hole with my gas auger I think he will understand just how thick ice can get though.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:06 PM »
Well. My buddy bailed, but I got 2dz shiners and 2 scoops of fatheads, high octane auger juice, and more ambition than brains so I'm just gonna sleep an extra few minutes to compensate for the lack of extra manpower. Main lake is the plan. Good luck everybody

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:01 AM »
Got on at Eagle PT yesterday around 6 am.  Took the snow machine out with a jet sled behind between the twins and west.  Set next to the pressure crack.  Plenty of ice and probable should have just driven out 14" to 16".  Set up 10 traps for lakers and salmon.  Had one pick up just under the ice and take considerable line then dropped it.  Several flags on bait on the bottom yielded slab perch.  Too cold to manage them so brought all the lines up and just focused on jigging in the shanty.  Action was consistent all day but noting too intense for perch.  Caught 3 whites and kept about 30 yellows.  Around 2pm a dead smelt on bottom brought in my worst fears ..... big fish but it wasn't fighting like a large laker.  36" Northern   I must have jinxed myself when I responded to the posts about Pike in the main lake and out of South Bay! 
My buddy wanted to bring it home.  Somehow during the transition from the gear into the truck on the ice at Eagle Pt.  We left it?!  So, if you see a Northern on the ice .... We were pretty frozen from the ride in and we must have lost it in out icy daze. 

Hope others had some luck with trout and salmon.  Didn't see too many tip-ups out as temps barley made it into the single digits.

Offline bradleyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:23 AM »
What's the snow cover situation on Magog since the storm?  We'll be up there this weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.