The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Eskimo Mako Issues  (Read 805 times)

Offline Kbank050

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo Mako Issues
« on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:04 PM »
Hey guys,
I purchased this auger at the beginning of the year and I'm having troubles getting it to reliably start. Has anyone had issues with this model before? I'll prime it with the choke on and sometimes get it to start but as soon as I switch it to run it stops working. I'm not as knowledgeable on small engines as some of you guys are on here so was wondering if anyone has a general idea of whats wrong with it.

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo Mako Issues
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:16 PM »
I have a make and really dont have any issues. As funny as it sounds if you follow the quick start instructions and repeat as nessecary it works every time. Sometimes you need to let it idle with the choke on for a bit then it idles fine. In my experience

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:51 PM »
If you can get it to start by priming and using the choke let it run just a bit before you flip the choke off. Things gotta warm up a little especially if it's single digits or colder. 

If it cuts out all the time that suggests crud in the fuel system. Dose your fuel with Seafoam, get 'er going and let it run for a minute or so even if it needs to be on choke the whole time. Shut it off and let it sit overnight and try it again. If it's still balky, shut it down and give it another night. Most often that's all you'll need.

Question: Was this auger brand new or used? If used could have possibly been abused and could need further intervention to restore performance.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:29 PM »
Zero issues with mine.  How old is yours?  Mine is 4 years old and is beyond reliable and so easy to start it's beyond stupid.  When we had air temps in the -25 to -30 range a couple of weeks ago I used mine and drilled a total of 37 holes that day shutting it off in between each hole. I only needed to pull it 37 times.  Fired right up on the first pull at -27 degrees.

The only adjustment I've ever had to make on it is when i use it in the summer as a post hole digger. The idle needs to be tweaked slightly to get it to perform better when it gets warm and then as soon as I'm on the ice I tweak it back to a "winter" setting. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.