The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Opinions on Shappell 6500 Wide House  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
Opinions on Shappell 6500 Wide House
« on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:07 PM »
Been looking for a portable ice house both pop up and flip styles and after  a lot of thought I think a pop up might be my best option. In particular I like the Shappell 6500 its very roomy interior dimensions 90" X 90" and 70" tall they claim its big enough for 4 seeing it just me & my brother it should allow us plenty of room. Prices I've seen the price range from 220.00 to 265.00 both in stores & online.  I'd like to hear opinions on what the community here thinks of the Wide House good & bad or any other shelter that fishes 3 or 4 people. And as long as were at it, should I buy now in mid season or wait till they go on clearance in late Feb. or early March?  Thanks!!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Opinions on Shappell 6500 Wide House
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:34 PM »
Got one last year late Feb for $179.99 from Sportsman's Guide. I already had the club discount card so that plays in.  Haven't fished it yet.  I really try not to setup in one place for too long unless absolutely needed or the family is along.  I did set it up earlier this fall in the driveway.  It is big.  20% bigger than my old Clam Summit.  Im 6'2 and 295 and wouldn't want to fish 4 but 3 easily and for 2 guys with a lot of gear its perfect. Seems to be well made and designed.  SG has for $215 now and web says they have an another 20% off for new club members.  Wouldn't be surprised if it drops again.  Anything south of $200 shipped is probably a value.

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:40 PM »
 Baetis62 thanks for your advice I stopped in at Sheels today and they recommended whatever portable I buy I'd be better served buying one that's insulated they showed the Frabill Bunker fully insulated 250 hub normally 299.99 on sale for 199.99 dimensions 80 X 80  and 80 tall with 2 doors. The Shappell 6500 fully insulated Wide House is on sale for 296.99 its 90 X 90 by 80 tall also with 2 doors. So there it is 2 portable shanties one 100.00 cheaper and a bit smaller any thoughts on which one would you would own. I think both companies offer a well made product. but I'm new at this...  HELP!!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:32 PM »
No quick and easy answer for ya dog I'm sorry.  None of mine are insulated...too heavy for me.  Depending on where you are (MInn, WI, Mich, Dakota's)  that might be a requirement. Here in Co I rarely setup the shack. Prefer to keep mobile.  Wind is the issue much more so than temps.  Iv'e hit the ice often when temps are -20 at 7Am but not rolled out with the hub because if the wind is down I know it will warm when the Sun gets up...even at 10,000 feet.  The Frabill at $199 sounds like a smoking deal but I have zero experience with it.  Repost with that as the topic...I'm sure you'll get quality feedback.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:36 PM »
If it helps I grew up fishing  Poygan in the 60's/70's...Insulated makes sense back there.  Different kinda cold than here in Colorado.  We always had Permy's.

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:15 PM »
Well I found a new ESKIMO Quickfish 3 on E-BAY about a week ago reduced to 170.99 and I was really thinking of buying it. Well today when I got home I had a email from the seller. saying they had 4 left and they lowered the price 59.00! I didn't hesitate went to E-Bay and bought it my total inc. tax 118.15, I'm sure glad I waited to look at several models. I had no idea the price would fall so quick, this pop up will have more than enough room for me & my brother.  Thanks for all the advice it helped me decide on what to consider and what to ignore.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:27 PM »
Been looking for a portable ice house both pop up and flip styles and after  a lot of thought I think a pop up might be my best option. In particular I like the Shappell 6500 its very roomy interior dimensions 90" X 90" and 70" tall they claim its big enough for 4 seeing it just me & my brother it should allow us plenty of room. Prices I've seen the price range from 220.00 to 265.00 both in stores & online.  I'd like to hear opinions on what the community here thinks of the Wide House good & bad or any other shelter that fishes 3 or 4 people. And as long as were at it, should I buy now in mid season or wait till they go on clearance in late Feb. or early March?  Thanks!!

I’ve had a WideHouse 5500 for the last 7-8 years. It’s a pretty awesome hub. It’s still in virtually new condition. Great zippers and windows. Very easy to setup and tear down. Very tough fabric and it keeps the water/rain out. Hell, I even use it for a makeshift vocal booth for recording in my living room.

Now, mine is pre “Eagle Claw”. My experience is from Shappell and they make great shanty’s. I couldn’t tell you anything firsthand about the Eagle Claw/Shappell products from what I have seen in stores, they seem to be of the same quality.

The 6500 would make for a very comfortable 2-man hub. My 5500 is nice for 2 and perfect for 1.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:31 PM »
Well I found a new ESKIMO Quickfish 3 on E-BAY about a week ago reduced to 170.99 and I was really thinking of buying it. Well today when I got home I had a email from the seller. saying they had 4 left and they lowered the price 59.00! I didn't hesitate went to E-Bay and bought it my total inc. tax 118.15, I'm sure glad I waited to look at several models. I had no idea the price would fall so quick, this pop up will have more than enough room for me & my brother.  Thanks for all the advice it helped me decide on what to consider and what to ignore.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:33 PM »
Wow, good going man! For $60 you definitely can’t go wrong with the Eskimo. Seems like you kind of got screwed on shipping but even at 118 it’s a killer deal.  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Um RyanW the Eskimo Quickfish 3 was on sale for 111.99 + tax so my final cost was 118.15 that price includes free shipping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.