Author Topic: Walleye  (Read 1263 times)

ICE REBEL

Walleye
« on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:47 PM »
Hi all. I'm new to this site. I'm from pa n i was wondering how do i go about fishin for walleye at night on tip ups n on the jiggin pole n how about in the daylight hours also. Whats the easyest way to catch them. Thanx The Ice Rebel

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
Re: Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:27 AM »
Well, first you gotta fish where there's walleyes. ;D

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

ICE REBEL

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:17 PM »
Hey thanx salmon rebel any1 else have anything that would help out

Offline Adam Bomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:03 PM »
I just posted this in another thread. So to save time, i just copied and pasted it.

Well, the tackle you use will probably be determined by where your located. Where i live we never use tip ups for walleye and jig exclusively for them. So, that said, heres what i use...By the way, im fishing Saginaw Bay most times.

Rods
St. Croix 28" medium
Rapala 28" & 32" Medium and Medium Heavy

Reels
Shimano 500 FA
750 FB
Phlueger Trions

Line
Berkley 8# XL
Berkley Vanish 6# for leaders
Power Pro 8#

Lures
Jigs
Northland Fire Eye jigs 1/8-3/8 oz
Northland Fireball Jigs 1/8-3/8 oz
Lindy Fuzzy Grub jigs 1/8-3/8 oz

Spoons
Northland Buckshot Rattle Spoon 1/8-3/8 oz
Lindy Rattl n Flyer Spoon 1/8-3/8 oz
Bay De Noc Tackle Do-Jiggers #1 and #3
Bay De Noc Tackle Swedish Pimples

Swim Baits
Rapala's Jigging Rapala #5 & #7
Lindy Flyer 1/8-3/8 oz
Salmo Chubby Darter CD5

Bait
Shiners
Jigs-whole minnow
Spoons-minnow head
Swimbaits-Lindy Flyer-whole minnow, CD-clean,Jiggin Rap-clean or minnow head on belly teble

Colors
Chart.
Oranges
White/Pearls
Glow
Silvers
Golds

Depth depends on time of year. Where i fish we start out in the main lake basin(when we can finally get there) and fish them deep as this will hold the greatest concentrations of fish.(18-23') As winter goes on they begin theyre seasonal migration towards the spawning grounds stopping in 15-18'. It just so happens on my lake this is where structure and flats come into play, which are generally around 12-14' deep. Early and late walleye will move up onto these points and flats to feed. These locations will almost always hold some population of fish throughout the winter, but on the lake i fish more so mid winter. As winter progesses more yet and gets closer to spring walleyes will stage on even shallower flats in the 5-8' range. And just before ice out we find ourselves in 2-5' of water on flats near river mouths. Great fishing, but extreme caution must be used.

As others have said, walleyes will be located near bottom allot of the time, but they do suspend. Thats where electronics come into play. Although early and late are the best times to fish walleye, they can be caught throughout the day. Often times that means making a move out to the next break. They might not be as aggressive as dawn and dusk, but you can get into some phenominal midday fishing, you just have to work at it. My final advise is to be mobile. You'll catch allot more fish.
Get your MOJO rising.
Adam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.