Author Topic: GPS???  (Read 2799 times)

Offline happy_hooker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
GPS???
« on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:58 PM »
Thinking about getting a hand held GPS and was wondering how many of you fine folks use them and what is a good unit for the money? :'(

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
Re:GPS???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:16 PM »
I use a gps to find my hot spots back.  Mark structure and such.  It even saved my butt one night getting off the lake when a ground blizzard kicked up and we had no idea where the access was.  I have a magellan 330  but I would look at the Rhino models since they have a two way radio and the ability to send your position to your buddies.

bigboy053

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:49 PM »
i have an etrex they are cheap and really simple to use thats what i would recommend. you can get them almost anywhere but i think ordering out of cabela's is the better deal

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:55 PM »
 :'( 8) I would love a gps   because I hear  it can get you  back to honey hole within 2 feet  of comeing back on lake   like oneida lake   new york hope I helped someone

Steve  :'( :'(
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2004, 06:44 AM »
I use a magellan -- but garmin has that etrex that is very inexpensive and easy to use with about 20 foot accuracy. That will help ya get in the general area.
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Exudedude

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2004, 08:10 AM »
Garmin makes the best GPS for the money...I have an E-map, they dont even make them anymore but I have found it very valuable.  

However, NO they will not get you back to within 2 feet as stated by Steve... No offence sir, please... But I have used a hand held and also have one on my boat.  10 feet is more like it.. but it gets you close enough!

Offline alpinehigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • jigging rapala is a great ice lure
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2004, 09:53 AM »
I really like my gps coupled with oziexplorer. I can digitize any map, say a bottom contour map, and then pick the spots that I think will hold fish. Then the gps will bring me right to the spot. I also use it for hiking to lakes without a trail in the summer time. They aren't foolproof but nice to have.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:02 AM »
garmin etrex thats what i got cheap works well
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2004, 11:33 AM »
Just got a  e Trex Legend by Garmin has bulit in basemap and is fairly easy to use. :D :D

Hermey

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2004, 12:18 PM »
I have an eTrex that is really easy to use, which to me is one of the most important aspects to consider.  I have one complaint that may or may not be a problem on the water.  I used the eTrex this fall while hiking a 27 mile section of the Appalachian Trail.  I used the "official" AT topo map, which indicated the mileage of my trip.  Also, at some points along the Trail there are signs that show how far it is between different points of interest, which also allows for mileage checks.

I had the eTrex turned on for the entire 27 mile trip using fresh batteries, but the GPS had indicated that I had only covered 20 miles.  Sometimes when I would look at the display, it would indicate that I had a weak signal, so I assume that it was not recording my mileage during those times.

That section of the Trail was mostly along ridge tops, and all of the leaves had already fallen from the trees.  Needless to say, I was disappointed that the GPS was basically useless for over 25% of my trip.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2004, 12:38 PM »
Here a link with inexpensive GPS sytems. Price them and I think you'll find that this place is pretty cheap. I think I'll be buying the eTREX LEGEND.

http://www.gmegps.com/

Offline wisicefishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2004, 04:51 PM »
I own the etrex and it does what I need.  As said before, the ease of use is nice. The only thing I would do different is get the one that you can put map chips in
just my 2 cents
fishinnut

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2004, 06:03 PM »
I have a  Garmin ,Etrex legend, It works great on the ice and in the boat, well worth the money.

Shark
How's the ice

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2004, 06:45 PM »
I have a Magellan 315, works just fine. I use it to mark
my fishing spots and for finding main structures - although
for some maps it is a pain in a neck to read the coordinates.
Applications are endless. I even made pretty good contour
maps for two small lakes using my GPS and sonar.

aka Billy the Kid

« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2004, 07:52 PM »
I have the Garmin Map 76, its invaluable,,, on top of that,,, it FLOATS!!!!!!

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2004, 09:25 PM »
[ had the eTrex turned on for the entire 27 mile trip using fresh batteries, but the GPS had indicated that I had only covered 20 miles.]

Could it be the difference in distance is because the GPS is "as the crow flys" not taking in consideration the twists and turns.

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2004, 06:01 AM »
If you lost your signal at any time it would not count that distance.

Hermey

« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2004, 06:53 AM »
My understanding with the GPS is that when you are traveling it is supposed to keep track of everywhere you go.  In other words, it is as the crow flies, but you are the crow.  It shouldn't just give you the shortest distance between two points unless that is what you ask for.

My guess is that a loss of signal is what accounted for the lost 7 miles.  7 out of 27 miles is a significant amount in my mind.  As I said, I was mostly along ridge tops, the leaves had fallen, and I had the GPS clipped to my shoulder straps up high on the outside of my pack.

This may not be a problem on an open body of water.  However, I wouldn't put a lot of confidence in it to keep track of my every move, especially if I were in a valley or under heavy foliage.

When I finally made it to my vehicle, which I had marked as an exact waypoint, the GPS indicated that I was 47 ft. away from my mark.  Being off by 47 ft. is no big deal when you're looking for a 5000 lb. truck, but it could be a bigger deal if you're trying to relocate some submerged structure that you had marked.  But, I guess it's better than nothing.

Like I said, the eTrex is very easy to use.  If you do not plan on downloading or uploading maps, etc., it would be a fine choice, or you could upgrade to a more sophisticated eTrex.  The main reason I chose it over the Magellan at the time was that the Magellan had a minimum temperature rating for use that wasn't as low as the Garmin.  I would check out the manuals on the companies' websites for this type of info before I decided on a model.  Garmin also has introduced the Geko, which is smaller than the eTrex.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:17 AM »
The etrex is a great value for the price. I'd probably go with one of the more inclusive models such as the legend. You get what you pay for.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.