Author Topic: Willow Slough  (Read 15451 times)

Offline RandyD

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Willow Slough
« Reply #90 on: Mar 09, 2007, 12:04 PM »
Park in the headquarters lot
Walk out about a block or two and start drilling some holes
you'll find them
I use spikes
Try dead sticking
Try a short jig
Try a violent jig
and see which one works
Good luck
Can't catch'em unless your out trying

Offline hunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Mar 09, 2007, 02:13 PM »
get away from the crowds, drill some holes you'll find them, and when you do it wont matter what you do you will catch then as they will be new fish.

Offline pigsmallie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Mar 09, 2007, 02:41 PM »
Hey bowbass have been getting any good gills in the Slough lately? ;) :tipup:

Offline wawa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Mar 10, 2007, 11:43 AM »
Caught about 12 keepers out of 20 fish total from 3-6 pm. Did catch my first 2 crappies this year. Started out 100 ft from parking lot and caught 3 keepers then moved out and caught the rest. It is real hard to make that walk when you are catching them that close to the parking lot especially when no one is fishing that close.

Offline wawa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Mar 10, 2007, 11:44 AM »
And I did find a spot with only about 2-3 in of ice I think this is going to be the last weekend of "safe" ice

Offline littled62

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 219-670-9620
« Reply #95 on: Mar 10, 2007, 05:51 PM »
they shut the lake down for ice fishing at about 4:00 this afternoon, someone fell thru and died, he didnt drowned, was only in the water a few minutes, the rangers said the ice is to dangeras, we were out by the island and had 7" of clear ice with 3" of slush on top, was only out there about 2 hours fish were just starting to bite, got 5 good size gills and 1 large redear, about 9-10 inches, wife got 6 large gils...

Offline RandyD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Mar 10, 2007, 07:15 PM »
they shut the lake down for ice fishing at about 4:00 this afternoon, someone fell thru and died, he didnt drowned, was only in the water a few minutes,
What happened to him??

Offline jigfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #97 on: Mar 10, 2007, 09:07 PM »
Two friends were out together today. They were in the willows in front of the headquarters about 200 yds. out and went through. They were in the water a couple minutes, at least. I heard them yelling and started running-walking as fast as I could to help. I was at the "Y" of the slot and the Rookery channel, a little to the north .By the time I got to them two other young guys went through trying to get them out. We got everyone out, and  one of the older guys was so exhausted he couldn't get up off the ice.We helped him up, and got him out of his coveralls which know weighed at least 25-30 lbs. They sat there and got their wind back and warmed up some . They both said they were O.K.and could walk back in on their own. By the time I got back to my gear I could hear the sirens coming ,one of the guys called 911 when we were standing there. When I got in , about an hour later they said the one guy wasn't doing too well. He wasn't breathing on his own. I think his buddy said he had a heart condition.     
work is for people who can't fish.....

Offline wawa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Mar 10, 2007, 10:29 PM »
That is right in the area where I found about 3" of ice yesterday. My prayers are with the family.

Offline tarantula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Mar 11, 2007, 05:10 AM »
my condolances, and prayers are with the family. Please everyone, be careful.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Mar 11, 2007, 08:18 AM »
This is a sad moment for us ice anglers,my thoughts and prayers are with the family,

Jimmy

Offline coondog59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Mar 11, 2007, 08:44 AM »
This is what i was afraid of, and hoping i wouldn't hear. My condolences to the family. Please everyone use caution, we all love to fish, but dying isn't worth it. Safe and happy fishing, Coondog

Offline bowbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Mar 11, 2007, 10:19 AM »
damn   i cant believe it!!!!! well i can believe it !!!!!  so the lake as of sunday  is closed??????? i was just getting ready to go out there!!!

Offline bowbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Mar 11, 2007, 10:24 AM »
get away from the crowds, drill some holes you'll find them, and when you do it wont matter what you do you will catch then as they will be new fish.
yes i have every time Ive been out!!i  average of about 15 to 20 good gills keepers that is and i  seem to get a couple pikes every time also!! usually im there from 12 noon  till dark fishing  from 4 to 8 ft deep

Offline bowbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Mar 11, 2007, 10:38 AM »
i knew this would happen as many guys that go out there  and only  because they see a ton of guys out on the ice and automatically they think its safe  but seeing  allot of guys out on the ice  does not mean the ice is safe  obviously  i kept saying there were   allot of bad spots on the ice at the slough!!  i know Ive been checking and posting these dangers  please be careful !!!!! just because we had 14 to 16 in of ice  doesent mean the whole lake has that!!!!!still!!! damn it i knew this was going to happen damn damn !!!!

Offline bowbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Mar 11, 2007, 10:53 AM »
slough is closed i just called them and the dnr guy did say the guy that fell in did die  >:(
 please becareful if  you go out today !!!! for life is to short as it is !! :(

Offline RandyD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Mar 11, 2007, 05:14 PM »
May he rest in peace

Offline jigfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #107 on: Mar 11, 2007, 05:44 PM »