The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: SD Lakes First Timer  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
SD Lakes First Timer
« on: Dec 10, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Hello All,

Just signed up...nice place ya got here.

I've been in the UK for the past seven years and just moved to the Rapid City area.  Nice to be back to a place where I can hunt and fish.  With deer season pretty much over, I've turned my attention to ice fishing.  Being new to the area I haven't got a clue where to go but that's easily solved when I get out on the ice.  Right now I'm preppring all my equipment and was having a real hard time as to what stuff to get.

I'll mostly be fishing Sheridan, Pactola and Deerfield and will be looking to catch mostly perch and trout.  What rigs works around this area?  Powerbait, imitation eggs, artificial maggots, worms, live bait, minnows?  I've got #16 and #14 trebles for the trout and a selection of jigs for the perch.

I've haven't been ice fishing for almost 15 years so its all new to me again...especially fishing in a new area I've never been to before.

Any advice from the locals most welcome.

Eric

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: SD Lakes First Timer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:18 PM »
Drop Kodiakman a PM. He lives out there and seems to know the area well. Welcome to Ice Shanty, you'll like it here.  :tipup: :D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline waterbeater

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The harder the better
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2006, 10:58 PM »
Welcome aboard,
Good to see another west river member. Sorry I can't help you with the hills fishing much as I fish prarie stock dams mostly. Like dawg said, Kodiak is a real good source of info on the hills lakes. If you're fishing perch at Sheridan, waxworms on a jig head or rattle spoon work for me. I will also use minnows on tipups about 6" off the bottom. Good luck and keep in touch.
Waterbeater out!<br />

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2006, 04:01 AM »
Welcome back to the States Big E. 

Well, for perch...What waterbeater said sounds about right.  Waxies or maggots on a jig or small spoon.  I like to use a small silver/glow Swedish pimple loaded up with maggots.  If they are being finicky I'll put a 2" dropper on the Swedish pimple or a small nymph on a dropper above my spoon or jig. 

For trout, I've always had good luck in Pactola and Sheridan Lake with small minnows on a small circle hook under a slip bobber and just enough weight to keep the minnow down there swimming around.  The last time I went up to Deerfield we just used a couple pieces of corn and everyone else we talked to was using corn or worms as well.  Infact, most of the trout are stocked, so corn works a lot of the time.

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2006, 06:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

Hey Kodiakman....can you recommend a bait shop in Rapid City?

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:26 PM »
The Rooster in Rapid City is the best bet for bait, tackle, and accurate reports. 

Offline waterbeater

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The harder the better
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

Hey Kodiakman....can you recommend a bait shop in Rapid City?
You didn't ask me but I have to agree with triaxon. The Rooster located in the gap is a great place for bait and info. The folks there don't know me from Adam but always greet me like an old freind. Very clean and have anything you could imagine.
Waterbeater out!<br />

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Yeppers...thanks for the info.  Went there tonight and the two people (young kid and 40ish woman) were behind the counter.  Very friendly and helpful.  Definately going back and will make a trip there for bait even though they don't open until 8.

They just got a shipment in of Halis but didn't have them up yet so I might have to go back there soon.

Offline FIREWATER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH TO LIVE LIVE TO FISH
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2006, 06:44 PM »
I just found this site a few days ago. I spent the best part of the morning on Sheridan catching perch. The day didn't start with good luck though. Broke the pull rope on my auger before I even got a hole punched. Had to pound out and old one. Plenty of fish left in it, came home with a dozen.  I see there are a few guys around here that post now and then. I keep an eye on the forum. Later

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:01 PM »
Did you get signed up by the deadline?

Offline FIREWATER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH TO LIVE LIVE TO FISH
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2007, 06:33 PM »
Did you get signed up by the deadline?

No I just missed the deadline. Have to catch it next year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.