Author Topic: what size cordless drill works best  (Read 2368 times)

Offline REDin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
what size cordless drill works best
« on: Dec 14, 2023, 12:14 PM »
greetings all. I looked thru 5 pages of subjects and didn't find information so here I am asking this question.
My 1/2 inch cordless drill is acting up (smoking when I use it) and I'm looking to replace it with a newer model. It will power a NILs auger bit. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re: what size cordless drill works best
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2023, 12:22 PM »
I like my Milwaukee M-18. Works well with the eskimo 8in pistol bit I use

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2023, 12:25 PM »
greetings all. I looked thru 5 pages of subjects and didn't find information so here I am asking this question.
My 1/2 inch cordless drill is acting up (smoking when I use it) and I'm looking to replace it with a newer model. It will power a NILs auger bit. any suggestions would be appreciated.

How much are you willing to spend 300.00 is about what you will spend for drill and at least 5amphr. Batt. People will give a list of batt and drill combo. That work best. From all of the different manufacturers what ever you get get 5amp hr. or larger and get a drill with an auxiliary side handle attachment.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2023, 12:38 PM »
I like my Milwaukee M-18. Works well with my 8in lazer.
Nothing like the gas post hole digger with the 12incher on that. Want to hear people scream, open some swiss cheese and wait for it!

Yep got the same one and it was a heck of deal when I bought it.
Not prob. blasting holes all day long!!!I Carry the spare batt. sometimes wonder why?
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2023, 01:10 PM »
Yep got the same one and it was a heck of deal when I bought it.
Not prob. blasting holes all day long!!!I Carry the spare batt. sometimes wonder why?

I have two 5ah batteries for my M18 Fuel drill.  I got a battery adapter that I wired to my Garmin Striker.  I use one battery on the drill and one on the Garmin, and if/when I burn through the drill battery, I swap them out.  Once the battery is too low to turn the pistol bit, it still has enough juice in it to power the Garmin for hours.
-Matt

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2023, 01:48 PM »
Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Milwaukee 2904-20

Milwaukee 2903-20

Spec for the proper drill

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs/800 UWO

DRILL SETTING ....DRILL MODE.. Speed Setting 1  NO HAMMEER MODE !!!
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2023, 01:52 PM »

What make and model drill is it and what size battery are you using ...you could just upgrade to a bare tool with the right specifications (see above)
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2023, 02:03 PM »
Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Milwaukee 2904-20

Milwaukee 2903-20

Spec for the proper drill

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs/800 UWO

DRILL SETTING ....DRILL MODE.. Speed Setting 1  NO HAMMEER MODE !!!
This is the list I was talking about thanks hardwater

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2023, 02:09 PM »
This is the list I was talking about thanks hardwater

Thats the list I compiled some time ago based on the specs and IceShanty members battle tested results ...there are others out there that meet the specs listed above but have limited use by IceShanty members .

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Roughnek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2023, 03:25 PM »
I also use the Milwaukee 18 with the clam plate  with the 5 amph battery works well

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2023, 03:52 PM »
Do any of you fellas actually run a drill with a torque rating of 750? I assumed that would be insufficient.

Online hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2023, 03:58 PM »
Do any of you fellas actually run a drill with a torque rating of 750? I assumed that would be insufficient.
I really have to believe 750 is marginal.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2023, 04:22 PM »
Rule of thumb 100 in/lbs of torque per inch of diameter of auger drill unit bit ..ie 6" diameter auger bit requires 600 in/lbs of torque .

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2023, 04:48 PM »
Dewalt 991 here.  Drill has worked flawlessly for me.

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2023, 07:55 AM »
The list is accurate. I have the M18 2900 myself and works great. For end of season thick ice if you get, plan on a few batteries or get a higher amp HO.

Offline REDin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2023, 02:40 PM »
many thanks to all who replied and with great details. Yall gave me helpful ideas. Once again, ice shanty members share information!!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2023, 06:24 PM »
Just tossing my 2 cents worth in on this!! I would buy the most powerful drill you can!!! Reason-- You can upgrade your auger at a later date and not be caught with a drill that can't handle it!!  If in doubt, GO BIG!!! :flex: :thumbsup: :whistle: ;)2
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2023, 10:18 AM »
Seeing as how this thread is already up and running, I was curious what you guys and gals would do if you were in my shoes. I ran an 8" pistol bit paired with the 18v Milwaukee Fuel hammer drill for the last five seasons until the motor burned up on me earlier this spring. I have several 5ah batteries and even more 2ah (for work around the house), but am torn if I want to buy another Milwaukee, or go with the Ridgid hammer drill with the 1250 torque rating. Having the batteries already would make the former choice cheaper, but having the lifetime warranty on the latter would be awful nice. It's obviously my choice to make, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2023, 10:24 AM »
Seeing as how this thread is already up and running, I was curious what you guys and gals would do if you were in my shoes. I ran an 8" pistol bit paired with the 18v Milwaukee Fuel hammer drill for the last five seasons until the motor burned up on my last earlier this spring. I have several 5ah batteries and even more 2ah (for work around the house), but am torn if I want to buy another Milwaukee, or go with the Ridgid hammer drill with the 1250 torque rating. Having the batteries already would make the former choice cheaper, but having the lifetime warranty on the latter would be awful nice. It's obviously my choice to make, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.

switch to a 6" auger
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2023, 10:27 AM »
switch to a 6" auger

If I were made of money I would.  Alas, I try to limit myself to one purchase per season, and the drill is definitely the higher priority this year.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2023, 10:33 AM »
Seeing as how this thread is already up and running, I was curious what you guys and gals would do if you were in my shoes. I ran an 8" pistol bit paired with the 18v Milwaukee Fuel hammer drill for the last five seasons until the motor burned up on my last earlier this spring. I have several 5ah batteries and even more 2ah (for work around the house), but am torn if I want to buy another Milwaukee, or go with the Ridgid hammer drill with the 1250 torque rating. Having the batteries already would make the former choice cheaper, but having the lifetime warranty on the latter would be awful nice. It's obviously my choice to make, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.

What model was your old Milwaukee ? The new 2904/2903 Milwaukee drills have 1400 in/lbs of torque . I would just get a Milwaukee  bare tool . That new Ridgid has not been battle tested ...Ridgid really screwed the pooch with the Octane debacle ..left some folks hanging with the LSA agreement ...by just discontinuing the Octane line up  :nono: 

This seems to be the best out there ...you can get some better deal via Amazon ...but some sellers can be sketchy

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/1443071-milwaukee-m18-fuel-1-2-hammer-drill-driver.html

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2023, 10:49 AM »
Thank you diehard, that is exactly what I needed to hear. I was unaware of their having reneged on the Octane. I don't recall the model number that I had, but I don't think it had a 1400 torque rating. I was nonetheless happy with it and wouldn't mind the extra torque.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2023, 10:53 AM »
This is a refurbished model ...trustworthy company ..got 3 orders this season alone ..my first drill was a refurbished  MILWAUKEE 2704 combo kit

https://www.acmetools.com/milwaukee-m18-fuel-1-2inch-hammer-drill-driver-reconditioned-bare-tool-2904-80/045242825776.html

use code LARSON10

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2023, 11:46 AM »

I really have to believe 750 is marginal.

Like diehard said, 100 in/lb per inch diameter of auger. I run a 6" Lazer hand auger on a clam plate. Since I already had a pile of Ryobi tools, I used the brushless I had there. It says its 750. I run a 9 amp battery on it so I likely get a little more. Turns like a champ and drills plenty fast. Lasts a long time too. I only drill maybe 20 holes a day at most and have done 16-20" of ice with barely 1 bar of charge used, if that.

Diehard - with that sale on the Milwaukee, it makes me wonder if they are going to release a new generation soon (or maybe they already announced one?). That is a great deal. If I was in need of a drill and just starting I would totally jump on it.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2023, 01:15 PM »
 FishDoktor Not certain...  there have been lots of deals on cordless drills of all makes and models recently ...thinks it is a combination of 4th quarter sales quota  and overstock ..I do think Milwaukee will be pushing the 6ah battery more and more and phasing out the 5ah as the gold standard in there combo/starter kits . The Milwaukee Forge battery is a stack pack battery with a 15 ah on the way I believe in the spring. I cant imagine a much more in/lbs drill in the future unless there is a market for a drill to turn a merry-go-round.

Offline AGC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2023, 01:28 PM »
Ordered the Flex 24V. With any luck we will have ice in western Pa. I'll report how it works with a 8" lite flight.

Offline Percheye1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2023, 04:33 PM »
Ordered the Flex 24V. With any luck we will have ice in western Pa. I'll report how it works with a 8" lite flight.

I can't recomend the Flex 24v enough.  It easily cuts holes with my 8" Mora. 

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2023, 06:25 PM »
The one that works BEST IMO is the Milwaukee 2904. It is the safest drill for an ice auger. It has an auto stop function and if the blades ever catch, it will stop before twisting your wrist. Oh and the power is amazing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.