Author Topic: Ice fishing gear  (Read 3617 times)

Offline fishmachine

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing gear
« on: Sep 25, 2023, 09:05 AM »
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and was wondering what new fishing gear you need for this coming ice fishing season.

Myself, I am looking for a new flasher, nothing special. Was thinking about a Garmin 4 Ice bundle. Does anyone have any good/bad reviews.

Thanks
Nothing beats ice fishing

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ice fishing gear
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2023, 09:32 AM »
 Welcome aboard ...IMHO I think a flasher is the way to go ...limited fussing abound and gets the job done 

The search function is quite awesome for looking up product(s) info

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishmachine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2023, 10:49 AM »
Thank you for the links of new products.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2023, 03:44 PM »
Sometimes too many “bells and whistles” seriously detracts from the fishing experience.
I agree with hardwater and recommend a basic flasher like a Vexilar or Marcum.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2023, 05:16 PM »
I was on the fence between the Garmin and a vexilar, went with vex and so happy I did. Not inclined to fuss about and play with all the settings and views. Just drop it and fish.

That said, Garmin is pretty popular, and does translate to summer fishing a little easier. Smaller and lighter too.

You won't go wrong with either though, just determine what fits your needs and budget best.

---
As far as my new gear needs go, I just ordered a bigger sled and a spare battery for my auger. I'm contemplating a new gear bag, but might kid that down the road. Probably pick up a new rod sometime this year, because why not, but otherwise I think my needs are finally met.

WANTS now, is a totally different matter....
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2023, 06:21 PM »
I would say that the Garmin is the way to go IMHO. It provides so many more options than a flasher including being able ot rewind what you just saw on the screen. If you can operate a smartphone you should have ZERO issues dialing in the settings with minimal research. I think a lot of the old timers (no disrespect) prefer flashers as it's what they came up fishing with. I will say that those flashers are pretty indestructable and consume batteries at a much slower rate. For me, being able to run a tradiotional view and an A scope is awesome. Plus you are able to use a Garmin on softwater and hardwater. The future is in digital finders IMHO. Alhthough maybe I am missing some advancement that has come out in the last 5 years for flashers. Seems it's dated (albeit functional) tech.
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

Offline fishmachine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2023, 06:00 AM »
Great info.....thanks all

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2023, 06:52 AM »
 I agree with Mike 84 there is no end to how many bells and whistles you want that’s also a choice , I switched to a graph in 2008 , no complaints about vex I owned an 8 and 18 and tough as nails
     I have used lowrance , huminbird and marcum and they all have a flasher mode if desired and all work just fine and can go from hard to soft water
 Hey Mike no disrespect taken , 40+ years ago I said the same thing (kid)lmao
 It’s all preference

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2023, 08:51 AM »
If you want the least hassle with technology,  Vex is the way to go.

Offline laketrouthunter94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2023, 04:56 PM »
I agree with the previous sentiments here that it's all about what you're looking for in terms of features, and how much $$ you want to put into it... I've used many of them, this would be my two cents, based on features:

SONAR ONLY: Vexilar F-18. You could step down to the FL-8 here, but the FL-18 has bottom zoom which is a critical feature IMO. Basic, but durable and reliable.

SONAR + GRAPH HISTORY: Garmin Striker 4. Great bang for your buck, can use open water, and has basic GPS functionality. Drawbacks are small screen and no lake mapping compatibility. I would also recommend the Marcum LX7, which in my experience has the fastest return (no delay), most detailed graph, and is a higher powered sonar than the Garmin Striker 4.

SONAR + GRAPH + LAKE MAPPING: Garmin Echomap 93sv UHD2. If you're going to take the step up to this $$, I would get something that would be compatible with live imaging (i.e. LiveScope). The Striker units are not LiveScope compatible, and would limit you if you ever wanted to upgrade. It can be used as a basic flasher with a graph, along with Navionics lake mapping. You may not want to invest in LiveScope now, but this allows you to upgrade much easier if that day ever comes. The Humminbird Helix series has better mapping that Garmin in my experience, but the LiveScope is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Humminbird's "Mega Live", which I think is reason enough to invest in Garmin from the beginning. If you truly don't see yourself ever upgrading to live imaging, I would go with a Marcum LX7 and use your phone for mapping.

Just my opinions, you're not going to go wrong with Garmin, Humminbird, Marcum, or Vexilar. I haven't used any of the newer Lowrance units on ice, but their older Elite series wasn't great for ice in my experience.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2023, 07:59 PM »
Great breakdown

I went with the FL-18 had just the right features I needed, and it was clutch. I could catch fish without it, but I've caught so much more with it. Got it for a hell of a deal, too, waiting a little later in the season. Garmin never dropped that much. But it's definitely got more bells and whistles, and can pay off big if you want to invest yourself in maximizing the tools it offers.

Ive seen all but marcum in use, and most of the  flashers are years old (durability and longevity). Lots to be said for that.

None of them will do you wrong if you just learn how to utilize what they each offer
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2023, 08:28 PM »
Let's see how this works,  first run-away from the Windsor area......jk.......liv ed in Lasalle many years ago and still have family in Windsor.
I prefer my Vex over everything else that I have or have tried. My vex is an FL12 and is my workhorse. Had the birds just did not care for them(choice).  Have and had different Lowrances for graph and sonar back to the Vex. Have and wish that I spent money elsewhere other than on my Aquaview, just not for me. So for me it is Vex and someday I might upgrade to FLX-30 Ultra Pack Lithium Ice Fishing Sonar
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline anglingice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2023, 08:35 AM »
I would say that the Garmin is the way to go IMHO. It provides so many more options than a flasher including being able ot rewind what you just saw on the screen. If you can operate a smartphone you should have ZERO issues dialing in the settings with minimal research. I think a lot of the old timers (no disrespect) prefer flashers as it's what they came up fishing with. I will say that those flashers are pretty indestructable and consume batteries at a much slower rate. For me, being able to run a tradiotional view and an A scope is awesome. Plus you are able to use a Garmin on softwater and hardwater. The future is in digital finders IMHO. Alhthough maybe I am missing some advancement that has come out in the last 5 years for flashers. Seems it's dated (albeit functional) tech.
Mike is absolutely right about the Garmin's versatility. It's a game-changer with its digital capabilities. Being able to rewind the screen is a fantastic feature. I also tried it recently its def worth it

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2023, 08:54 PM »
Garmin 4 is an excellent way to go. The controls are easy to use and the imaging is great. Been using one for the last 3 seasons now. If you buy one get the package that comes with the ice tranducer. I just upgraded the battery in mine to a lithium battery, could not believe how light it is now.

Offline Boatless in BTV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2023, 10:14 PM »
Myself, I am looking for a new flasher, nothing special. Was thinking about a Garmin 4 Ice bundle. Does anyone have any good/bad reviews.

Thanks

I have a Striker 4 and have been mostly happy with it. From the sound of things, I run pretty much the same features Mike84 does, and it's always been reliable for me on the ice. Plus, I especially like that it's small and light enough that I can easily transition to use it on my kayak in open water.

My biggest complaint is the lack of mapping ability. Given the option to go back, I would probably spend the extra $40 or so to get a Striker Plus 4 instead.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.