Author Topic: The end is in site!  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
The end is in site!
« on: Apr 12, 2023, 05:58 AM »
Monday we went lake trout fishing for the last time this ice season. When we left home on snowmobiles that morning the temps were just below freezing, the ride was on lakes (except for a couple of portages) the 15 miles or so to the trout lake, the snow was soft ,but no sign of slush.  When we got to the trout lake conditions had changed, there was water under the snow, the entire lake was slush, fortunately the snow was not so deep that there was a concern of getting stuck.  We fished all day walking in 2-3inches of water, the snow was melting before our eyes.  We headed home around 4:00 pm and found that all the lake running back was the same as the trout lake, it was all slush.

There is still have 2 1/2' to 3' of ice, so I will be walleye and crappie fishing for some time yet on my home lake, but my mode of transportation will shift over to side X side or 4-wheeler, snowmobile season is over.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: The end is in site!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2023, 10:13 AM »
The season isn't over until the water on the ice disappears.   ;)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2023, 06:03 PM »
 down here the season isn't over until the ice on the water disappears  ;D

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2023, 06:14 AM »
Two days later after the wet ride home the water is already finding it's way down air holes.  Unlike you die hard snowmobilers :) I will take the 6-wheeler out walleye fishing this morning, no need to rut up the gravel driveway with skeg furrows.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2023, 10:38 AM »
Yeah, slush is no fun!  Still a few places here in Colorado, but it won't last for long.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.