The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Electric Skeptic  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Queequeg

• IceShanty Rookie
Electric Skeptic
« on: Mar 25, 2023, 09:33 PM »
I've followed the online discussion boards and various conversations over the years regarding the evolution and use of electric augers.  I'll have to admit it, I spent several of the past few years doubting that electric augers would be able to function as well under all conditions as the old reliable combustion models whether those were gas or propane.  Having owned several models of both and experiencing no issues with any of those models (down to -25 degrees) it was hard to justify investment in a new technology to replace something that was already working, especially since the costs can be high.  However, I monitored all the online chats and discussions, comparisons, and back and forth on electric augers and spent considerable time looking at various reviews and research.

Time and time again those reviews (last couple years) were positive no matter where I looked including the various retailers that sold them, the manufacturer websites, forums like this and many others.  So, I jumped in with both feet and got a heck of a year end deal on an ION Alpha 10" plus (two batteries, composite bit).  I tested the unit out recently on Moosehead and all I can say is those reviews were spot on!  This thing is fast ~2" (or more)  of ice per second, light (16 pounds!), and it does not matter how you hold it, what end is up or down, no worrying about a plugged carb, spark plugs, propane bottles, mixed gas and all the other things associated with the traditional augers.  Put the battery in and pull the trigger instant power. 

I understand some folks will not choose to or can't make the investment in these augers, or maybe there is still skepticism about the technology, but from someone who for the longest time didn't think these would stand up to the proven technology of older models, you can use this as one more thumbs up (for the ION Alpha at least).  Barring some future shortage of lithium, I"ll never go back.  You can't beat 16 pounds for a ten inch auger and it out cuts my older models by a lot.  Best of luck to all of you as the season winds down, fingers crossed for a bit more consistent cold weather next year, it was a bit tough here in southern Maine at the onset. 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Electric Skeptic
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2023, 05:24 AM »
I've followed the online discussion boards and various conversations over the years regarding the evolution and use of electric augers.  I'll have to admit it, I spent several of the past few years doubting that electric augers would be able to function as well under all conditions as the old reliable combustion models whether those were gas or propane.  Having owned several models of both and experiencing no issues with any of those models (down to -25 degrees) it was hard to justify investment in a new technology to replace something that was already working, especially since the costs can be high.  However, I monitored all the online chats and discussions, comparisons, and back and forth on electric augers and spent considerable time looking at various reviews and research.

Time and time again those reviews (last couple years) were positive no matter where I looked including the various retailers that sold them, the manufacturer websites, forums like this and many others.  So, I jumped in with both feet and got a heck of a year end deal on an ION Alpha 10" plus (two batteries, composite bit).  I tested the unit out recently on Moosehead and all I can say is those reviews were spot on!  This thing is fast ~2" (or more)  of ice per second, light (16 pounds!), and it does not matter how you hold it, what end is up or down, no worrying about a plugged carb, spark plugs, propane bottles, mixed gas and all the other things associated with the traditional augers.  Put the battery in and pull the trigger instant power. 

I understand some folks will not choose to or can't make the investment in these augers, or maybe there is still skepticism about the technology, but from someone who for the longest time didn't think these would stand up to the proven technology of older models, you can use this as one more thumbs up (for the ION Alpha at least).  Barring some future shortage of lithium, I"ll never go back.  You can't beat 16 pounds for a ten inch auger and it out cuts my older models by a lot.  Best of luck to all of you as the season winds down, fingers crossed for a bit more consistent cold weather next year, it was a bit tough here in southern Maine at the onset. 

As someone as skeptical as you, outstanding summary and accurate.   Longevity will be the only x factor remaining for me.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2023, 06:42 AM »
As someone as skeptical as you, outstanding summary and accurate.   Longevity will be the only x factor remaining for me.

I can attest to longevity. I have a first generation 8" Ion with two batteries. All purchased fall 2013. This year was season ten, it gets used in CT and around Syracuse NY.  Although not much ice in CT this year everything still works. Typical day, we might cut 48 holes (8 guys, 6 tipups each). Night crappies maybe 100 holes, which may get into the second battery if the ice is over 8". From what I've seen the new batteries are better, so perhaps you would never need two. Because blade life is dependant on individual use and abuse, my experience may not be typical. FWIW mine is on blade set #2. May install #3 before next year. Only bug with the first gen batteries is that they do like to be kept warm in below zero temps. New batteries don't appear to have that problem.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2023, 07:17 AM »
I can attest to longevity. I have a first generation 8" Ion with two batteries. All purchased fall 2013. This year was season ten, it gets used in CT and around Syracuse NY.  Although not much ice in CT this year everything still works. Typical day, we might cut 48 holes (8 guys, 6 tipups each). Night crappies maybe 100 holes, which may get into the second battery if the ice is over 8". From what I've seen the new batteries are better, so perhaps you would never need two. Because blade life is dependant on individual use and abuse, my experience may not be typical. FWIW mine is on blade set #2. May install #3 before next year. Only bug with the first gen batteries is that they do like to be kept warm in below zero temps. New batteries don't appear to have that problem.

The battery life was what I was most skeptical of and quickly dispelled that the day it should up by leaving it outside in -60 wind chill and still had full charge.   I  charged mine only one time since I bought it and could have gotten by without it,  8-10 outings.   I think I will go out to the shed today and just say hi to the old jiffy just so she knows nothing personal  ;D

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2023, 07:48 AM »
The battery life was what I was most skeptical of and quickly dispelled that the day it should up by leaving it outside in -60 wind chill and still had full charge.   I  charged mine only one time since I bought it and could have gotten by without it,  8-10 outings.   I think I will go out to the shed today and just say hi to the old jiffy just so she knows nothing personal  ;D

I'm going to make the break up with my Jiffy official next fall. She needs someone to love her, and whisper sweet nothings in the shed during the off season. That way, she won't be as cross when her new partner is swearing at her for not "performing" on the ice.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2023, 08:10 AM »
Good to see some of you die hard WW2 Jiffy owners are catching on. Don,t ban gas stoves ban Jiffy gas augers.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2023, 10:08 AM »
Electric is the way to go. People under a certain age think everything new is good and over that age everything new is bad but in this case it works.   I have a hand auger that works with a drill, and it cuts fast and is lite.  Neither is top shelf, but they do the job.  My fishing buddies bought me an electric auger this year and it cuts through as much ice as you have.  It's actually an earth auger with an ice cutting blade so slower but it does the job.  We drill 15 to 20 holes a trip through 19 inches of ice and have never run out of charge.  The amount of torque is impressive and you want good footing unless you don't mind being spun around a bit.

I sold my Eskimo shark Z51 a couple of seasons ago and haven't looked back.  The thing was a beast, but it was heavy and fishing on foot every pound counts.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2023, 06:40 AM »

It must be something in the water.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2023, 06:47 AM »
Yikes! That sucks. I've dropped my Ion a few times and expected that to happen. Looks like the handle separated from the head?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2023, 09:17 AM »
Lithium technology has come a long way . Both the dedicated ice augers and cordless drill combinations have benefited. It is nice to have choices . I have been running a cordless set up for quite some time now ... I do not see me going back to my SM Mag 2000 anytime soon. 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2023, 09:28 AM »
Related - I have always just stored my gasser in the ice shack over the summer.  It goes get hot in there for sure.  Is the Ion okay in there over the summer? (minus the battery)

Thanks.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2023, 09:45 AM »
My Ion lives in the garage loft for the summer. It gets wicked hot up there, after 10 years so far so good.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2023, 10:08 AM »
My Ion lives in the garage loft for the summer. It gets wicked hot up there, after 10 years so far so good.

Appreciate it.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2023, 10:32 AM »
I'm storing the StrikeMaster in the garage loft in Greenville. Pretty hot there too. One summer down, worked fine this season. Keeping the fingers crossed. I guess the safe route would be to remove the powerhead and store in the house. It has crossed my mind that there may be an adhesive or motor winding that could fail on either brand, but call me a risk taker.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2023, 11:04 AM »
I'm storing the StrikeMaster in the garage loft in Greenville. Pretty hot there too. One summer down, worked fine this season. Keeping the fingers crossed. I guess the safe route would be to remove the powerhead and store in the house. It has crossed my mind that there may be an adhesive or motor winding that could fail on either brand, but call me a risk taker.

Like we've said, either they work without being babysat or bye bye the go. :tipup:

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2023, 11:05 AM »
Once you try electric, you won’t go back to heavy and smelly gas! I converted two fishing guides after one trip out, I drilled and cleared all the holes need before they were done unfolding their tipups, then kept drilling more so I can do my jigging 😆

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2023, 11:50 AM »
 I've been on the electric bandwagon for years and as long as you use a powerful enough drill or a decent quality electric auger you're not going to see a lot of problems. The only people I've ever seen struggle are the ones using 30$ Walmart drills. My Milwaukee fuel doesn't care how thick the ice is or how cold it is, I've been running it for 5 years now problem free. Seeing somebody show up to the lake with a gas job nowadays is borderline laughable unless there's 3 feet of ice.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2023, 02:19 PM »
These are the battle tested drills most frequently used by IS members

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Milwaukee 2904-20

Milwaukee 2903-20

There are other cordless drill that may work as well but must meet the following criteria

Spec for the proper drill

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs/800 UWO

DRILL SETTING ....DRILL MODE.. Speed Setting 1  NO HAMMEER MODE !!!
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2023, 02:54 PM »
I've been on the electric bandwagon for years and as long as you use a powerful enough drill or a decent quality eletric auger you're not going to see a lot of problems. The only people I've ever seen struggle are the ones using 30$ Walmart drills. My Milwaukee fuel doesn't care how thick the ice is or how cold it is, I've been running it for 5 years now problem free. Seeing somebody show up to the lake with a gas job nowadays is borderline laughable unless there's 3 feet of ice.

Yea we usually have 3 feet this time of year and when it gets soft and slush you need power to cut a 10” hole. Electrics have come a long way but I highly doubt any auger built these days will survive as long as those old model 30’s have

It must be something in the water.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2023, 06:02 PM »
When out on the lake . and cut all the holes you want you call fish to the hole . No need for expensive ion ,and able to hear wild life all around and no gas motor noise. Makes the day Wonderful!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2023, 08:05 PM »
Practicality kinda leads me to grab one of the clam plate setups with Milwaukee/Rigid on Lite Flite, Nils or Nero.  For some reason I'll still probably die with my Tanaka/Nils 8 in the garage.  Wifey will give it away or sell it for $10.  Don't care...gotta keep one gasser.

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2023, 11:37 PM »
Yea we usually have 3 feet this time of year and when it gets soft and slush you need power to cut a 10” hole. Electrics have come a long way but I highly doubt any auger built these days will survive as long as those old model 30’s have

Yeah my old gas auger was a jiffy given to me by a friend of mine, he used it for several years and his father bought it about 20+ years before that. Never had any doubt that it would start up and drill holes for me. But I sure as hell don't miss anything about it now. I used to have to think about whether or not I wanted to fire up the old gas job to drill a few more holes to move tip ups or jig. Now with the electric I'll drill holes all day long for anyone who needs one and think nothing of it.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2023, 05:38 AM »
This is my first season of not using the jiffy 30 legend. I went with the 8-1/2” Kdrill with a Dewalt drill. Very pleased with the results . I’m a carpenter so I can also use it as a hammer drill. 🥶.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 29, 2023, 08:39 AM »
Practicality kinda leads me to grab one of the clam plate setups with Milwaukee/Rigid on Lite Flite, Nils or Nero.  For some reason I'll still probably die with my Tanaka/Nils 8 in the garage.  Wifey will give it away or sell it for $10.  Don't care...gotta keep one gasser.

I love both the Ion and StrikeMaster electric, but I'm with you. Nobody gets my Nils/Tanaka setup before I take a dirt nap. Far and away the finest gas auger setup ever made.  :tipup:

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 29, 2023, 09:26 AM »
Ive had the 7" K-drill with a clamplate handle  for 5 yrs ,Love it burn no gas and no noise  My Milwaukee drill, i use all summer for other work.

Offline Bottle_O_Moxie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have you ever had to jig your scoop back up?
« Reply #25 on: Apr 05, 2023, 08:46 AM »
What is a good price to pay for the 10" Ion in the off-season?

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Apr 05, 2023, 10:00 AM »
When everyone realizes that the quiet  feature  and the water slopping noise  is a fish attractant which eliminates need for fish finders ,as the  fish come from all around  you limit out fast. theyll all be after electric augers!!!!!! 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Apr 05, 2023, 10:13 AM »
What is a good price to pay for the 10" Ion in the off-season?

I paid $510 plus tax for a 10" ion alpha in season, one battery, from Sportsmans Guide.  That is the best I have seen so I would use that as your bench mark.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Apr 05, 2023, 12:28 PM »
K-drill with clam plate is a lot lighter and costs a lot less,

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Apr 05, 2023, 10:32 PM »
I love both the Ion and StrikeMaster electric, but I'm with you. Nobody gets my Nils/Tanaka setup before I take a dirt nap. Far and away the finest gas auger setup ever made.  :tipup:
With a very lean Amsoil mix mine just rips.  Its ridiculous.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.