Author Topic: Fish and Game  (Read 3500 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fish and Game
« on: Mar 24, 2023, 08:57 AM »
Not trying to bash them or stir the pot. If the thread gets crazy I’ll just delete it. But just curious has anyone been checked this year? I’ve fished two trap and 6 trap lakes. Derby weekend, weekends, weekdays and nothing. I’ve gone out on foot and the machine. Fished popular areas as well. My buddies haven’t been checked either. I know it was a crappy ice year and they don’t wanna make headlines for the wrong reasons, but I’m a little surprised.
Tight Lines!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fish and Game
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2023, 10:05 AM »
Yes my last trip of this season. I didn't know it was my last trip . Had a really good buzz going no breakfast maybe slurred speech. Lol
Snow was deep had to work hard to get out. He approached via snowmobile
I was a little concerned because I sounded like a drunk ice fisherman.  We chatted for a but and he checked my license. This was in the lakes region.  He was cool and admired all the wp I had on the ice. Off he went no issues.
Salmonemia

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2023, 10:05 AM »
I welcome the check proud to  provide my license to them.  I like when they stop by.
Salmonemia

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2023, 10:06 AM »
I fished on Little Squam (two trap lake) the weekend after the Meredith tournament. F&G checked the number of tipups from the road with binoculars, then came out and checked our licenses. All was well. I have also been checked in prior years by F&G on snowmobiles on Little Squam and Squam. Maybe this year with varying ice conditions they were out less on sleds and/or wheelers?

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2023, 10:08 AM »
Probably lack of snow to drive around easily
Salmonemia

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2023, 10:43 AM »
I believe they are still short staffed. A few years ago F&G even had the Colonel out on opening day of moose season checking kill sights !

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2023, 10:48 AM »
I was checked a total of 3 times this winter by 3 different CO's at 3 different lakes in 3 completely different parts of the state. 

I also did less ice fishing than an average winter.  Bottom line is they are out there and show up at unexpected places at unexpected times. 

They are always polite and courteous.  They check my license, we have a quick chat, and they are on their way.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2023, 10:50 AM »
I knew the ice conditions would play into it for sure. But I’ve fished winni and Squam multiple times on a machine and nothing. And I’ve fished winni on foot and nothing as well so was a bit surprised. And agreed they don’t bother me none. With the price of admission to fish in NH I want them to check my license   ;D
Tight Lines!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2023, 11:47 AM »
Generally they stop by to visit. Never a problem, i don't really drink alcohol on the ice, mostly coffee and water.

I always show them my license whether they want to see it or not. They don't need to ask. 
Paid good money for my license, proud of it and it turns out no one else (not even my friends) want to see it. I pretty much bought it for FnG. :)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2023, 12:03 PM »
You guys are paying for a whole lot of snow machine enforcement, believe me! They are as thick as thieves in Pittsburg every weekend and to be honest, they are well needed. The sheer volume of people I see there every weekend is many times more than pre-covid times, it's getting a little bit insane.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2023, 12:41 PM »
I’ve been checked twice this year

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2023, 01:30 PM »
Good to know, apparently it’s just me!
Tight Lines!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2023, 01:58 PM »
I have not been checked this season, but haven't been out much either.  Years past I usually get checked at least once on ice, and open water also when bank fishing , especially during stocking season.  Agree with Jiggin'.... license comes out before I'm even asked. 

Makes sense they are shifting resources up north given what jethro is saying about the sled traffic... can only cover so much I guess.

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2023, 02:00 PM »
I’ve been fishing pretty much every weekend this winter and only got checked during the derby. He was more interested in asking questions it didn’t even seem like he wanted to bother checking to see if I had a license. I had my snow dog and didn’t even check to see if it was registered

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2023, 04:22 PM »
I didn't fish nearly as much as I usually do this year, and never got checked. I usually get checked once a year on Sunapee, but I didn't fish there this year.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2023, 04:31 PM »
You guys are paying for a whole lot of snow machine enforcement, believe me! They are as thick as thieves in Pittsburg every weekend and to be honest, they are well needed. The sheer volume of people I see there every weekend is many times more than pre-covid times, it's getting a little bit insane.

We need the F&G up there and through Errol in the summer as the ATV traffic is worse than the sled traffic. 90% are courteous riders but 10% need a good butt kicking.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2023, 04:32 PM »
Generally they stop by to visit. Never a problem, i don't really drink alcohol on the ice, mostly coffee and water.

I always show them my license whether they want to see it or not. They don't need to ask. 
Paid good money for my license, proud of it and it turns out no one else (not even my friends) want to see it. I pretty much bought it for FnG. :)

;D ;D ;D

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2023, 10:19 PM »
I get checked quite often on my local big lake. It is patrolled regularly in winter.
3 times this year.
I haven’t been checked on any other bodies of water in winter other than 27 years ago on 1st Connecticut.
Always pleasant interactions.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2023, 08:45 AM »
The ECO's in your state are celebrities now, some of them anyway, from being on the Northwoods Law series. I used to like watching that show, but from what I remember seeing it was not ice fishermen that they had problems with ,  mostly hunters shooting too close to the road or taking game out of season, and the ATV riders that can't seem to follow the laws there.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline OldTowner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2023, 11:04 AM »
Appreciate seeing folks here showing support for the C/Os. It's been a busy winter for them, especially up north and on the trails. Lots of time goes into rescues and unfortunately this season, recoveries on some of the mountain trails. I fish with a couple of them, one recently retired and the other active. I see them getting called out at all hours for who knows what. Checking licenses is part of the job but has been mentioned, snow machine enforcement, keeps them busy up north.

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2023, 07:21 AM »
We really appreciate our NH F&G Officers. When you think about it, license checking in winter has to be a small part of their job. Given the effort it takes to fish weekly on frozen lakes, not many people fish without licenses...Sitting ducks so to speak!

Them chasing the bigger problems on trails and in mts is smart use of short staff!

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 30, 2023, 02:53 PM »
I've fished pretty hard this season and not gotten checked, mostly on Winni. There really shouldn't be a need for them to be license police, but there will always be people not wanting to follow the rules, I suppose.

This morning I called their inland fishery dept. with a question about ice fishing / open water season on Wentworth, and a very helpful staff member returned my call and answered my questions a couple of hours later. If I break down the license fee in cost per hour over the course of the season, I can't think of any form of thrilling entertainment that cost less than 50 cents per hour...probably not even $50/h. 
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2023, 07:57 AM »
Hey here is another F&G tidbit to digest... Recently I went online to purchase a HikeSafe Card to support search and rescue efforts. I learned that if you have an active hunting or fishing license you have the same benefits associated with the hike safe card. No need to buy it...again! Thats pretty cool!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 31, 2023, 01:47 PM »
Hey here is another F&G tidbit to digest... Recently I went online to purchase a HikeSafe Card to support search and rescue efforts. I learned that if you have an active hunting or fishing license you have the same benefits associated with the hike safe card. No need to buy it...again! Thats pretty cool!

Huh, good to know!
Tight Lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.