Author Topic: Pittsburg  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Stinkbait81

• IceShanty Rookie
Pittsburg
« on: Mar 15, 2023, 08:20 AM »
Hello everyone.  Has anybody been up to Pittsburg recently?  I'm headed up this weekend and was wondering if there is any slush on the lakes and if so, how much?  We are deciding if we should bring the wheeler in addition to the sleds.  Fishing 1st and 2nd Connecticut.  Hope to have some pictures and a good report when I get back.  Thank you.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pittsburg
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2023, 08:41 AM »
Interested in hearing how you do on 2nd CT.  I've open-water fished it (trolling) a few times in the last several years and it has been very slow.  My understanding is they no longer stock it and are hoping for a naturally sustaining salmon population from those spawning in the upper river.  Of course, you can't take salmon through the ice anywhere in NH, so I'm wondering what there would be to catch.  Maybe wild brookies, I guess.

Offline Stinkbait81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2023, 10:18 AM »
I haven't fished in a few years but when I did, we had a couple solid laker days there fishing from a boat.  Never fished on the ice there but wanted to check it out.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2023, 10:38 AM »
I'm an hour south of there and there is deep snow/ slushy spots on the ice down here. Wheeler gets around( barely), I would suspect the same if not worse up there ?

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2023, 01:06 PM »
I haven't fished in a few years but when I did, we had a couple solid laker days there fishing from a boat.  Never fished on the ice there but wanted to check it out.

Okay, just never thought of 2nd as a lake trout lake.  I've done well on 1st and 3rd for lakers.

Offline Stinkbait81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2023, 02:23 PM »
I usually fish the 1st lake when up there.  Just looking for something new and hopefully not have a thousand sleds flying past us all day.  We are fishing the first lake Friday night for cusk and then all day Saturday too.  Thanks for the heads up Fishin, will probably leave the 4 wheeler at home.  Would rather spend the time fishing and not trying to get unstuck.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2023, 04:06 PM »
I usually fish the 1st lake when up there.  Just looking for something new and hopefully not have a thousand sleds flying past us all day.  We are fishing the first lake Friday night for cusk and then all day Saturday too.  Thanks for the heads up Fishin, will probably leave the 4 wheeler at home.  Would rather spend the time fishing and not trying to get unstuck.

If folks have been out there,then there should be a well beaten frozen path to ride on. Once we made paths (beating the machines) the riding was fine but we stayed on our paths. The sleds may have the whole lake packed down ???

Offline 603TROUT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2023, 06:35 PM »
I'm headed up this weekend to work on the camp. Fished 3rd a few weeks ago. Took all of my auger to bust through. Spotty slush, still wouldn't have put an ATV or anything out there.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2023, 09:47 AM »
Sorry I missed this last week. I ride across Pittsburg lakes almost every weekend. This past weekend both Francis and 1st were like completely groomed, hard packed snowmobile trails. Very easy travelling with either sled or wheeler.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Stinkbait81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2023, 07:23 AM »
Well we made there and back.  Pretty decent fishing weather allowed us to stay outside the shelters most of the trip.  Had some breakfast burritos and a breakfast casserole out there.  Mac and cheese and cheeseburgers for lunch.  Also put away a good amount of beer.  That was the highlight of the trip as the fishing was the slowest we've ever had for this trip.  Fished from 20 to 80 feet of water. We ended with a few lakers and a big cusk on tip up suckers on Friday.  Saturday we caught a few more lakers and had a couple runs on a big sucker that my bud failed to connect with.  Had great time anyways.  There was an eagle flying around both days and on Saturday we had a couple lightweight planes do a pretty low fly-over right over our group and then they turned around at the end of the lake and touched down right near us which was really cool to see.  It was easy riding and walking on the ice.  Packed down snow with no slush to speak of.  That's it for me this year.  Good luck to everyone who is still on the ice, stay safe.  I'm ready for some salmon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.