The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hog Island Report 3-1-23  (Read 2330 times)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hog Island Report 3-1-23
« on: Mar 01, 2023, 02:32 PM »
Took two aspirin and got on the ice at 8:30 a little disappointed that they only had a half a cup of perch bait left by the time I got there, said they'd had quite a flush this morning...  Pretty warm out there and no wind at all until I quit at 2:00.

There's about 5" of snow on the ice, not too bad for walking.  I drilled a hole as soon as I was away from the launch and found 16+ inches of good hard ice and felt brave enough to go to my honey hole.  BUT, beware!  The ice changed a lot in 200 yards, my second hole only had about 8" of ice and that was soft, the auger went through in only a couple of turns.  But, I set up there, not really my favorite spot but I left room for the Quebecers who walked out with me.  They walked a couple of miles trying to find a school but came back to sit with me with only two in their pail, only one of which I would have kept, but accepted their gracious offer.

There were a couple of other guys out there, too.  You can barely see them in the picture when you click on it.

The bite was VERY slow, nothing at all for the first half hour, then started getting those little 6 inchers and they continued to the point of frustration so I switched over to eyeballs and got a couple bigger ones and then they were steady for a couple of hours with lots of good sized ones and an equal amount of little ones.  Ended up with a couple of dozen for supper.

The bite was slow, slowest for me in many years.  I tried everything and kept mixing up the presentation and my jig technique but they wouldn't bite so I figured there was a big fish down there.  I let out another wrap of line and hit the bottom, felt like a metal pipe, I kept banging my big silver spoon on it but then the sound changed and I thought I'd better be careful or I would hook a tree limb and lose my spoon.  Bam!!  Thought for sure I was snagged on a branch and then this came storming up through and flopped on the snow and spit the hook out.  She straightened it and I was surprised my little 6 lb test leader didn't snap.  Good fun but I put her back in to put some more weight on, maybe next year we'll meet again.

I mentioned I took two aspirin before heading out.  I've had hip pain for many years but the Covid really did a job on me, apparently it exacerbates whatever ailment you might have, including osteoarthritis.  Wish I could drive out but it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon...

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hog Island Report 3-1-23
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2023, 05:44 AM »
Sorry to hear about your health issues JBritch. I hope you can put a few more yellows in the bucket this weekend. Nice job on the Pike.

Offline Brochet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2023, 06:35 AM »
great report, thanks for the post !

Offline ISLAND STORM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2023, 05:53 PM »
Another great report jbritch. Thanks for sharing. Did you get the pm I sent you?
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Tight lines and be safe.

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2023, 06:10 AM »
Hey, Island Storm,

I'm sorry but I never knew about these "PM"s.  So, sorry to all the guys that have written to me over the years.  I wasn't ghosting you.  Just technically inept which is embarrassing for one of Vermont's first computer science teachers.  There were some good issues guys brought up and I enjoyed reading them even if they were years old.

I fished the waters west of the Church Road one time, and only one time.  Was out there with my girlfriend, she was in my pop-up and I was standing outside when we felt the earth shake like an earthquake a couple of times.  "What's that?", she says.  Suddenly just an arm's length away from me the entire ice across a crack jumped into the air almost to shoulder height and when it fell back down the tsunami swamped me and water went through where she was sitting.  We got off the ice immediately and I've never been back.  Whew!

I like my honey hole at Tabor Point even if the bite was so slow on Wednesday.  The chance of a pike on my old hand-carved jig stick is fun to think about, too.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2023, 08:15 AM »
Looks like you had a good day out there, beats staying home feeling all those aches and pains !

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2023, 07:21 AM »
Always enjoy reading your post. Glad you got to catch some fish and stayed safe. As long as you can make it work and you can fish I'd call it a win. beats having to sit at home and watch the tv.
Stay safe:-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.