Author Topic: Smaller duo lock snap  (Read 1379 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Smaller duo lock snap
« on: Feb 25, 2023, 11:04 AM »
Anyone know where to find duo lock snaps smaller than 00? The ones that the micro dinner bells from frostbite come with are smaller than 00 ones I have from VMC, so they must exist. 

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Smaller duo lock snap
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2023, 12:18 PM »
Google #000 duo lock snaps. I don't know if they come any smaller than that, there comes a point where they are too small to handle.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2023, 01:13 PM »
When you shop you'll have to be mindful of more than just advertised size (e.g. #000). I've found, especially terminal tackle, items are not necessarily "standard". One manufacturers #000 might be anothers #00. I've seen non-standard sizing in hooks, swivels, spinner blades and snaps. Sometimes a little, sometimes more than that. Your best bet is to accurately measure what you want in mm or inches (1/1000) and shop from there.

Looked at some Dinner Bell pics and they suggest that a "crankbait" style snap will most closely replace stock. They are a little more "squatty" and rounder at the lure end than conventional Duo Locks. Not sure why you need to replace exactly. Next size up is probably no more than a few thousands of an inch difference. It's only really a line tie and, other than the wider part of the snap on the lure, has little to do the action. Unless I'm missin' something.

One more caution in shopping: Watch out for cheap materials. Came across a couple items that were advertised as "copper with a stainless steel ring" what ever that is. Just be sure whatever you choose is all stainless steel wire. Don't skimp on line or terminal tackle. If you do, at some point you will cry...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2023, 02:28 PM »
Thundermist tackle has the size no but no swivel if you need it you could easily attach one.Word!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2023, 03:37 PM »
May not be what you are looking for, but this is what I am using for all but the smallest and they are much stronger than Duo Lock Snaps...
Micro Mini TA Clips

Just some food for thought.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2023, 04:48 PM »
The 00 size from VMC are pretty small for my fingers already.  Can barely just get them to open and close.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2023, 06:13 PM »
Thundermist tackle has the size no but no swivel if you need it you could easily attach one.Word!

True, I saw those too but that's why I say you have to shop actual size. Their #000 is as long as most everyone else's #00 (including VMC and Gamakastsu).
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2023, 04:32 PM »
The Fas-Snaps come in very small sizes but I have never been able to use even the bigger ones. I guess if you master whatever trick there is to using them you would have quite an unobtrusive attachment
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline tacklebox07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2023, 05:40 PM »
I got these from Amazon, picture is red 00 from Cabela, silver are these below. Very fine wire and small.
unclesportinfof 100-200pcs Fishing Duo-Lock Snap, Hooked Snap Size 000#-8# 7LB-210LB Freshwater Saltwater Stainless Solid Wires Quick Change Safe Lock

https://www.amazon.com/unclesportinfof-100-200pcs-7LB-210LB-Freshwater-Saltwater/dp/B08DLF61M8

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2023, 04:54 PM »
To each their own and all that, but...does having a smaller snap matter that much?  I mean, they're already theoretically biting your lure with gaudy treble hooks and split rings galore.  I can't see a smaller snap making a difference, unless your reasoning involves more than presenting with more finesse.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2023, 09:03 AM »
It's a reasonable question, Ice Fly Guy.  I guess my thought is just having less down there and still accomplishing the presentation and flexibility I want are the goals.  I have noticed panfish nipping at the snap/clips more this year than in past years, which is why it came to mind in the first place. 

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2023, 02:17 PM »
The problem w/ tiny, tiny snaps is that they aren't very strong.  It's fine for panfish, but if you accidentally hook something good...you'll wish for a heavier snap which won't open up under pressure.

Good luck!   :tipup:

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2023, 03:16 PM »
I use the VMC Duo Lock Snap swivels in size 10 at 20lb test.  These are so small that I have to use needle nose pliers to open/close them.  I take the snap off and use them on the ends of my steel leaders so I can change hooks.  I then use the swivels as micro swivels for my jigging rods.  They are tiny and strong.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2023, 03:22 PM »
My double secret probation lure has been found out!  ;D  just snap a hook to it!
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2023, 11:07 AM »
PikeKing23...That's a hell of an idea!!!

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2023, 12:06 PM »
Thanks. Here's what they look like. Pike don't seem to mind and no failures yet. I'm sure they would be fine for all but the smallest jigs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.