Author Topic: LX5 Reads too deep  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
LX5 Reads too deep
« on: Feb 23, 2023, 08:18 PM »
I've had this one for about 8 years and its been a great unit but tonight I was playing around with it and noticed when I hung the ducer over the concrete floor it read 7-8 feet when the thing was about 2 feet above the slab.  Zoom wasn't on.  20' range and turning gain up and down didn't change anything. Thought it was strange so I checked connections, tried a different ducer and a fresh battery...same deal.  It's working fine otherwise.  Sound familiar to anybody?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LX5 Reads too deep
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2023, 08:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's normal, someone else can chime in and confirm or let me know I'm an idiot

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2023, 08:30 PM »
They wont read accurate depth out of water.none of my flashers/sonars do.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2023, 08:46 PM »
Didn't think of that Doc...water is denser than air so it makes sense...Speaking of dense :P...

Offline Nitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2023, 10:51 PM »
These sonar instruments do not directly measure depth, they time how long it takes the ping to return.  That time is then converted/displayed as a depth thru water for us (the user).  Sound travels faster thru water than it does thru air.

The speed of sound thru air is ~343 m/sec.  The speed of sound thru water is ~1480 m/sec.  The ratio should be ~.232 = (343/1480).  So to test the depth reading thru air --> Hold the transducer puck steady & level at an elevation of 25 inches over a hard surface, the unit should read a depth thru air of approximately 9 feet (b/c the unit is designed to read thru water).

I perform this test each year before I hit the ice - these specific test numbers (25 inches & 9 feet) are just easy to recall.  You could do the math to test other distances.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2023, 08:56 AM »
Isn't it interesting that you can have something for a long time and never notice something about it you've probably seen hundreds of time but just never registered? I've done it with other stuff...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2023, 03:43 PM »
True dat Esox!  Thanks for the math Nitz...that 25/9 ratio is pretty much spot on to what I was seeing last night. Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.