Author Topic: Help Identify this auger  (Read 1022 times)

Offline smokeeter

• IceShanty Rookie
Help Identify this auger
« on: Feb 18, 2023, 08:51 AM »
I'm trying to figure out what make of auger this is. It was an old one my Dad had many moons ago. It is a fixed blade and  I think it used to have a "T " handle on it and it was previously blue.
Thanks

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Help Identify this auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2023, 10:20 AM »
I'd guess an older Nils. If they ever made them without removable heads.

Offline smokeeter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2023, 06:50 PM »
I don't think it's a Nils

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2023, 07:08 PM »
Looks like an older NILS. They’re the only ones I’ve ever seen with that style blades.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2023, 07:42 AM »
 A couple other early brands with similar styles but with removable heads are Vanaja and Finn Bore.  The Nils or Heinola differ or evolved to chromium Stainless Steel inserts for a cutting edge. This auger pictured IMO predates them all because the head is fixed.  My guess is mid 1960's.  Thinking back, I may have used one on a Boy Scout winter camping trip around 1969.
 If you look at the picture showing the bottom of the blade, you'll see a bevel put on the cutting edge. This auger will not cut with that bevel.

Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.