Author Topic: Utah Snowdog Registration Update  (Read 2821 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Utah Snowdog Registration Update
« on: Feb 17, 2023, 01:51 PM »
I have had multiple conversations with several state employees concerning what I believe is the wrongful classification of a Snowdog as a snowmobile.  What I have come to believe is that the decision to do so came from a fairly new Utah agency called the ‘Utah Division of Outdoor Registration.’  It was legislated in 2022 as part of the Utah Department of Natural Resources to combine the nation’s first Office of Outdoor Recreation with other state recreation management programs, including Utah’s Boating Program, Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Program, and recreation law enforcement officers.

I talked with Chase Pili (Off Highway Vehicle Manager) who is the person responsible for such decisions.  He is firmly convinced that the Utah Code definition of a snowmobile [Utah Code 41-22-2 (22)] is appropriate for Snowdogs.  He told me he based that decision on conversations with lawyers from his division and another division.  All are convinced that the Snowdog is steered and supported by the track.

So, unless some one, or some organization, is willing to challenge that in a court of law or seek an injunction to halt the DMV from registering them until a state court rules on the matter, then we are going to have to register all Snowdogs (factory built or DIY) as snowmobiles.  I will not be that someone.  I have done what I could reasonably do by informing others and writing letters and having phone conversations with those in power.  I was not successful in my quest.  I may contact my State Representative again after the current legislative session has ended to see if changing the wording of the law would be appropriate.  I have already registered my Snowdog as a snowmobile.

Take care, stay safe, & tight lines y’all.  Hope to see you on the ice sometime.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Re: Utah Snowdog Registration Update
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2023, 11:51 AM »
Another change to the Utah Code this year is that now, off-highway vehicles (OHVs ), excluding motorcycles and snowmobiles will require a license plate.  So, even if they were to be registered as an all-terrain type III vehicle, there would be an additional cost of getting a license plate for it on top of the registration/title costs.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2023, 09:25 AM »
thanks bob

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2023, 03:47 PM »
“I fought the law, and the law won.”

Some of you may remember this discussion started back in February with regard to the new requirement to register ‘Snowdog’ type machines as of January 2023.  I disagreed with registering them as ‘Snowmobiles’ instead of an ‘All-terrain type III vehicle.’  I researched the situation and made phone calls and sent emails to several State agencies asking them to classify ‘Snowdogs’ as ‘All-terrain Type III Vehicles.  They wouldn’t budge.  So, in March 2023, I submitted a 2-page ‘Private Letter Ruling’ request to the Utah Tax Commission who determines the classification from the way the Utah Code is written.  I stated the facts as best I could along with my interpretation of what the Utah Code says about the facts.

I got their response today – August 18, 2023.  They still insist that a ‘Snowdog’ machine meets the definition of a ‘Snowmobile’ as defined in Utah Code Ann. § 41-22-2.  And that is far as I am willing to pursue the issue.  I could appeal the decision, but don’t expect I could present anything further that would persuade them to change their minds.  I registered mine as a snowmobile last February and got the decals sometime in May.

Last winter, the Utah Law Enforcement community was cutting most Snowdog owners some slack and only issuing a verbal warning to register the vehicle.  I don’t think you will encounter the same attitude from them this coming ice season.

That’s it for now boys & girls.  Hope to see some of you on the ice this coming season.

;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2023, 07:53 PM »
Dubob, thank you for the update on this topic and all your efforts in attempting to get things changed with the registration. Possibly some sportsmen's group in your state may take up this fight. I know things vary from state to state with some currently no requiring Snowdogs to be registered as they do not have VIN numbers .

Steve

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2023, 09:09 PM »
Dubob, thank you for the update on this topic and all your efforts in attempting to get things changed with the registration. Possibly some sportsmen's group in your state may take up this fight. I know things vary from state to state with some currently no requiring Snowdogs to be registered as they do not have VIN numbers .

Steve
Thanks Steve.  You are correct in that each state has their own way of dealing with recreational vehicles.  However, the commercial brand (Snowdog) does have a VIN number.  The DIY conversions of old snowmobile chassis' probably do not.  In Utah, the state will assign one to your conversion.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2023, 07:07 PM »
 Dubob, you are welcome . I personally do not own a Snow dog or converted snowmobile type of this vehicle. i based my response off of information provided over the last few years by NY. Ice Shanty member Gamalot who owns one of the early model Snowdog's that did not have a reverse gear when sold. So things may have changed here in NY. I know every state is always looking for ways to obtain additional money with out raising state income taxes.

Steve

Offline toadly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2023, 01:58 PM »
Can someone tell me how I go about registering my DIY Track Sled.
How to get a VIN#?

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2023, 09:55 PM »
Can someone tell me how I go about registering my DIY Track Sled.
How to get a VIN#?

I asked the guy at the DMV when I was there registering my snowdog and he said there is a form they will have you fill out (where you list the parts/costs used to make the track sled) and they will issue a VIN to use for registering it.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2023, 08:22 AM »
I would go to this link for a start.  It has some links for required forms, one of which is the Application for Utah Motor Vehicle Identifiation Number (TC-162).  Most of the linked forms are PDF forms that allow you to fill them out on-line and print out.  Or you can print out the blank form and fill it in by hand.  Any who, here is the link:

https://dmv.utah.gov/vehicles/rebuilt/kit-vehicles
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.