Author Topic: Are uninsulated shelters still viable?  (Read 2859 times)

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Are uninsulated shelters still viable?
« on: Feb 17, 2023, 09:21 AM »
Polling the collective consciousness here. For those of you who have experience in both insulated and uninsulated shelters, is the uninsulated shelter still a viable option?

Here's the background:
I have been offered a great deal on a lightly used Eskimo Quickflip 1. I have only ever fished out of insulated shelters (I have an Eskimo Fatfish and an Otter Cabin but both are unnecessarily bulky when I am fishing alone). I have never fished in a 1-man before. Usually when it is just me I am on a bucket, but after fighting frozen line at -20F, I am thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on this flipover. It would be in my garage now if it was insulated.

I assume the heater will still keep me plenty warm. I've read enough on here to know I will be fighting condensation, but that seems to me to only be a minor inconvenience (as somebody who has not dealt with it before).

I know this isn't the best option out there, but is it still a good enough option to pull the trigger? I can't justify spending $400+ on an insulated 1-man.

Thanks everybody.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Are uninsulated shelters still viable?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2023, 09:26 AM »
I use a frabill predator which is a huge flip over thats uninsulated and most of the time heat is on low. My wife has a otter cabin uninsulated and the same for her.  Just breaking the wind is huge for staying warmer.  The only thing I did to both because it was cheap was put reflectix in the roof area.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2023, 09:27 AM »
I have an insulated FX200 and an uninsulated FX100. The uninsulated flip is fine unless there is a strong wind. The insulated shelter makes a big difference in keeping the air from blowing around, it's also a lot quieter (doesn't flap). If its a calm sunny day an uninsulated will be just fine.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2023, 11:41 AM »
Seeing as my Clam XL4000T is about 100lbs at the end of the day with a little moisture in it, I'd think an uninsulated would be pretty useful when you want to travel light.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2023, 12:16 PM »
I have an uninsulated HT Polar one man ..it is black and heats up well during the day ...adding my Portable Buddy heater on cold days and/or  night helps alot ...but it a little cramped ..adding the heater even more so .I also have an uninsulated two man Frabill Adventurer ...Trekker cousin...it is light and roomy ...  it has no seats so seating has quite a lot of options. But adding heat to it ..well lets just say I can make margaritas  on some long cold nights..I added a fan last season and that did help . About midway last season I bought an Eskimo Sierra thermal as it was time to not be cold anymore ..I love it still use my Buddy heater with a fan ...the seats are very comfortable and are removable . Insulated is worth the price of admission ..they heat up fast and maintain heat better...weight is really not much different and the wind flap is gone . The Sierra may be a good option for you ...remove a seat or both .. The gray interior is a huge bonus ..a strip of LED lights from Power Practical an an M18 power source it quite bright.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=389003.msg4249487#msg4249487

https://www.scheels.com/p/eskimo-sierra-thermal-scheels-exclusive-flip-over-ice-shelter/01264203912.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2023, 12:27 PM »
Like was already said. Uninsulated is fine with a heater unless it is windy.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2023, 12:47 PM »

I’ve owned 2 uninsulated 1 man shacks I kept warm enough but really noisy  on windy days
 I now own a insulated 1 man shack and have no regrets , and the extra weight is minimal , quiet and as said easy to heat , on a cold day I might use a 1#bottle

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2023, 07:12 PM »
I don’t have a machine so I like non insulated. I have camped in it a lot, it’s great. I have a double wide insulated and that thing is too heavy, doesn’t get used much.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2023, 07:29 AM »
In a one man flip even the smallest heater will be too much if you fish top down. Mine is insulated but the Mr. Heater Little Buddy is way more than that small space requires. I'm considering going "old school" and using one of my old propane lanterns like I did in ancient history. Even without a heater just getting out of the breeze helps immensely.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2023, 08:29 AM »
In my (limited) experience, my comfort level goes like this :

20f +, sunny day, uninsulated stays cozy without a heater.
20f+ and dark or windy, small heater on low keeps it cozy

<20f, nice day, heater recommended, you'll only have to run it periodically
<20f cold and windy,  heater runs full time to keep it tolerable. Insulated recommended

Everyones comfort levels are different, but I hate being inside and my holes still freezing

Obviously it's better than sitting on a bucket in the open. I don't use any shelter 30% of the times I go out. 50% of the other times the uninsulated comes with, works as a windbreak or a home base as I hole hop. The last 20% when it's actually cold, insulated
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2023, 08:27 AM »
If you can keep the wind out, uninsulated is fine. I guess it depends on how harsh conditions you fish and how much propane you want to burn. You can always line the ceiling with reflectix if you need to.

I have an uninsulated one man Eskimo, and the lack of insulation is the least of my concerns. The biggest concern is how cramped it is. We fish two holes for perch and its crowded in the shack trying to handle two rods with a fish finder and heater running. Not having enough headroom to stand up also kills my back while packing up on a cold windy day when I don't want to just flip it open. It works, but i would love either a wide-one or an Evo for more space.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2023, 08:50 AM »
If you can keep the wind out, uninsulated is fine. I guess it depends on how harsh conditions you fish and how much propane you want to burn. You can always line the ceiling with reflectix if you need to.

I have an uninsulated one man Eskimo, and the lack of insulation is the least of my concerns. The biggest concern is how cramped it is. We fish two holes for perch and its crowded in the shack trying to handle two rods with a fish finder and heater running. Not having enough headroom to stand up also kills my back while packing up on a cold windy day when I don't want to just flip it open. It works, but i would love either a wide-one or an Evo for more space.

TJ- Really happy with my Wide one for those very same reasons you stated. I think it makes such a difference. I see some of the newer one man flips redesigned their ceiling heights and pole design. Shelters have more of a boxier front for more head room. I’d like to step in one to check them out.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2023, 08:50 AM »

TJ- Really happy with my Wide one for those very same reasons you stated. I think it makes such a difference. I see some of the newer one man flips redesigned their ceiling heights and pole design. Shelters have more of a boxier front for more head room. I’d like to step in one to check them out.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2023, 05:41 AM »
 after many years with clam 1 man shacks only had 2 complaints,  first I added more skirting as didn’t fit flat to bank in so I added a 12” wide strip of material at the back  , and 2 not as aerodynamic, , the wide 1 has more room for heater and graph and is more aerodynamic  does have less head room when sitting ,  , I’m only 5’9” so head room is  not an issue for me , skirting goes much farther back big plus
 I’ve fished it in 30mph winds  without any tie  down

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.