The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ice fishing season is over  (Read 6660 times)

Offline Robbie L

• IceShanty Rookie
ice fishing season is over
« on: Feb 10, 2023, 10:54 AM »
I guess it depends on where you are in the state, but at least in Northeast PA,
it seems as if the season is over. I just looked at the 15 day forecast, and the
temperatures will be warming up. Rob

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice fishing season is over
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2023, 11:30 AM »
Maybe for YOU, but NOT me! 😜

In fact my buddy texted me from a lake in Wayne Co. this morning..........he is fishing on 8” of ice.

Gonna get down into the mid 20’s the next 2 nights. Warm up next week but cold again for next weekend. I plan to fish all weekend and again the following. Then Accuweather is predicting a prolonged cold snap the end of the month into the first week of March.

But I don’t give up easy! 😁 I can remember a couple years in the not so distant past that we had a warmup in Feb. and everybody put their stuff away. We got a cold snap in March and I was back on the ice for a week or 2 on 5-6” of ice when everybody else had packed it in. I’m betting we have at least 3-4 more weeks in NEPA! 🤞

Of course you gotta be smart and pick the right lakes and SPUD,SPUD,SPUD..................😉
Where's the FISH?!

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2023, 02:13 PM »
Maybe for YOU, but NOT me! 😜

In fact my buddy texted me from a lake in Wayne Co. this morning..........he is fishing on 8” of ice.

Gonna get down into the mid 20’s the next 2 nights. Warm up next week but cold again for next weekend. I plan to fish all weekend and again the following. Then Accuweather is predicting a prolonged cold snap the end of the month into the first week of March.

But I don’t give up easy! 😁 I can remember a couple years in the not so distant past that we had a warmup in Feb. and everybody put their stuff away. We got a cold snap in March and I was back on the ice for a week or 2 on 5-6” of ice when everybody else had packed it in. I’m betting we have at least 3-4 more weeks in NEPA! 🤞

Of course you gotta be smart and pick the right lakes and SPUD,SPUD,SPUD..................😉

AMEN

Offline gallitzinice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2023, 03:38 PM »
As Robbie said, depends on where you're at, although it looks like Robbie is in the one corner of the state where there has been some fishable ice.  If you have some decent ice, may hold onto it until the predicted cold snap comes (late February, early March), but where I'm at, looking at open water or junk ice now, a frigid spell under the late winter sun isn't going to bring back what we don't have. Southwest PA it is over after barely getting started a couple of times.  Did some fly fishing the other day and planning on more of that over the next month.  Hoping to get the kayak out early this year, but one of the bummers of these warm winters is that they almost always seem to be followed a cold wet spring.  Gotta take advantage of whatever opportunity nature provides, though, but around these parts it won't involve being out on the ice. 

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2023, 06:21 PM »
NOOOOOOOTTTTT!!! I was on 8" of ice today and caught a 26" muskie! It ain't quite over yet!

Offline Robbie L

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2023, 10:25 PM »
Yes, I saw in the reports where there is some fishable ice. My two main lakes, Wallenpaupack
and Lackawanna state park did not produce, but I guess I have to look more at the reports.
                                                                              Rob

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2023, 05:23 AM »
if you're gonna wait for the pack to freeze up each year then you will miss out on a lot of fishing. Gotta expand your horizons brother!  ;D

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2023, 06:49 AM »
I'm in NW PA and haven't even had a chance to get out. When there is ice, I'm working, when I'm not working there isn't ice. Been a rough year for sure. May have to look into reserving a week of vacation to head into Canada for some better ice next year!
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2023, 08:49 AM »
Had more or less a 1 week season down here in the Allentown area, worst one I can remenber in a long time.

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2023, 01:15 PM »
I got one day of ice fishing in this season, that was last Sunday.  Fished a pond that had 3" of ice on it and caught 4 perch.  This winter was pathetic.  Unless you're in the NE part of the state stick a fork in this season.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2023, 06:50 PM »
if you're gonna wait for the pack to freeze up each year then you will miss out on a lot of fishing. Gotta expand your horizons brother!  ;D

Amen!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline PAFishFiend

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2023, 06:17 AM »
Even if the ice is safe, I hate wading through slush. There's good open water appearing everywhere and you can find fish from the bank. If we do get a cold snap later, I have the equipment ready. But I think we've seen the last of decent ice here in PA for this season.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2023, 06:39 AM »
I only got out a few times this year, but that's on me. I could have been out more if I wanted but had to do other stuff. If I had the time I could have gotten out a lot more and still can, but yes most of the ice is further north. If I was dying to get out fishing and there wasn't any ice I would have the kayak out and gear myself for winter kayak fishing... or take a day trip or over nighter to the coast for some beach angling. Ice Hound drives 2 hours plus every week to get up here to get on the ice and Rutt Nutt makes a long trip every week or so just so he can fish them catfood trout! ;D Hey Rutt, how long does that drive take? But me, If I ain't fishing I'm at the range, or flinging arrows. Heck this week I'm helping my grandson make a set of cedar arrows when I could be walking on water.

I guess the thing I'm saying is, if you can't find a place nearby to walk on water, maybe you will have to make a longer trip to do it, or just figure out something else to do. But just so ya know, it's only February. There's still ice if you know where to look for it and plan the drive in advance.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2023, 07:22 AM »
Even if the ice is safe, I hate wading through slush. There's good open water appearing everywhere and you can find fish from the bank. If we do get a cold snap later, I have the equipment ready. But I think we've seen the last of decent ice here in PA for this season.

I’m sitting on 7” of hard ice in Wayne County. It was 25* at the house when I left at 5:30 and 21* when I got here around 6:30. Fishing is slow but I got out and ice is great! 😎

Spider- my 2 favorite trout lakes are a 65-70 min drive. Toby Harlem is a little closer (50 min) but I usually only fish that first outing of the year.

P.S. was 39* when I left at 12:30. Ice was still hard on top with no slop, slush or puddles! 😎

Where's the FISH?!

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2023, 07:41 AM »
I'm happy for you guys that have safe ice now ,But here in SW Pa and NW  Pa it sure looks like its over! Ten day forecast all days in 50's and 60 's nite only a couple  below freezing ,most lakes here are compleatly open water.  It would take an epic cold polar vortex that would last quite awhilwe for our lakes to freeze over. Enjoy your ice if ya have it !!!

Offline Icefishingjames

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2023, 08:11 AM »
I'm throwing in the towel for WPA. Already started working on the boat

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2023, 01:47 PM »
I'm happy for you guys that have safe ice now ,But here in SW Pa and NW  Pa it sure looks like its over! Ten day forecast all days in 50's and 60 's nite only a couple  below freezing ,most lakes here are compleatly open water.  It would take an epic cold polar vortex that would last quite awhilwe for our lakes to freeze over. Enjoy your ice if ya have it !!!

That really stinks for you guys! 😩
Yes, I am very thankful to live in NEPA,  where even in bad years we usually have safe ice within an hour’s drive! 👍🤞🙏
Where's the FISH?!

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2023, 02:40 PM »
Just because it has ice doesn't mean its a good fishing spot .

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2023, 05:52 PM »
I’m sitting on 7” of hard ice in Wayne County. It was 25* at the house when I left at 5:30 and 21* when I got here around 6:30. Fishing is slow but I got out and ice is great! 😎

P.S. was 39* when I left at 12:30. Ice was still hard on top with no slop, slush or puddles! 😎

We were on 8" today in Wayne County. Same conditions. 18* at the lake. Couldnt kick open the holes that were drilled yesterday. The shore did have some sketchy looking spots comng off at noon but we had no problem.

Offline Salty Ice Queen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2023, 07:07 PM »
I had only 1 time this year In NWPA. Most of our local lakes are down to junky 3 inches or even less..my husband got about 4 days in..We stocked up what we could in the freezer..I remember 2015 was about the same condition as now.😔

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2023, 08:05 PM »
Yeah, I really LOVE Wayne Co PaBassman! Love the rolling hills and checkerboard of farms mixed in with the forestland............ .....and the solitude up there! A bit of a drive for me but well worth it! 😎
Where's the FISH?!

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2023, 10:55 AM »
 I was on the ice this morning. Still 7-8" but the shore isnt great.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2023, 05:15 PM »
That’s great- yeah, I’m thinking we might need a plank IF there is still safe ice next weekend.

COME BACK cold weather! 😜
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Salty Ice Queen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2023, 08:01 PM »
I can't believe it..I've been running around in flip flops the past few days. ::)

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2023, 07:41 AM »
I have decided it is time to set my live bait free.   Can't keep them in a container any longer.   Have had some since December.  I'll put them in a small pond near the house.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2023, 08:40 AM »
Those temps won’t hold buttslutt don’t try to be the man here I’m in pike travel to Wayne also 8” will honey comb to garbage in short order don’t try to be a hero and get ppl to fish for now the ice is good rain and 60s 2 weeks b4 a couple nights in the teens use your experience people and please bring a spud out you can definitely still fish but use your Witt’s in this area deeper lake that are wind blown never even froze fully very variable lake to lake

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2023, 10:33 AM »
Those temps won’t hold buttslutt don’t try to be the man here I’m in pike travel to Wayne also 8” will honey comb to garbage in short order don’t try to be a hero and get ppl to fish for now the ice is good rain and 60s 2 weeks b4 a couple nights in the teens use your experience people and please bring a spud out you can definitely still fish but use your Witt’s in this area deeper lake that are wind blown never even froze fully very variable lake to lake

I’m not trying to get anyone to fish. And not trying to be a “hero!” 🙄

I’m just an eternal optimist...........LOV E my icefishing and don’t give up when others do. 😁

I’ve been doing this a long time, know how to read the ice, have all the safety gear (including float suit) and USE it!

I hiked into a lake on Saturday that I knew was marginal at best but had all my gear in a backpack and carried my spud bar to give it a go. Couldn’t get on the ice at first spot so I hiked around the lake checking different spots. Saw some holes that were fresh(either that morning or the day before), but just couldn’t get to them. Shoreline was shot everywhere I checked. So I chalked it up to a scouting mission and hiked back out. I’m no fool.

So you do you and I’ll do me. And oh by the way................... ..I don’t think you know me well enough to take  liberties with my handle! 😉
Where's the FISH?!

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2023, 10:40 AM »
I've got plenty of ice in TX... in my bourbon glass.

I don't wanna be that old man mumblin' about "glory days".

But if you told me 50 years ago that lakes in PA would still have open water on Valentines Day I'd a told you, "That must be some good s#!+, how 'bout rollin' me one..."
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2023, 10:51 AM »
Been ice fishing here since b4 Thanksgiving and there's a blizzard coming tomorrow. im sick of ice fishing. Please come and take our ice! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2023, 10:56 AM »
it's great how some like to mouth off while sitting in front of a computer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.