Author Topic: Tipup arsenal  (Read 6054 times)

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tipup arsenal
« on: Jan 18, 2023, 02:10 PM »
So I’ve been learning a lot about tipups and how to use them over the past couple years, and after some exceptional success this year, I’m planning to dive headlong into tipups and build out a full arsenal of about 20-25 tipups for different situations and scenarios.

I’ve already got a few preferences decided upon, but I could still use some input:

1. Who makes a solid heritage-style tipup? I owned a couple in the past, but they were second-hand and frankly the previous owner abused them, so they didn’t last long.

2. iFish Pro vs Finicky Fooler rod-holder style tipups: aside from the obvious price point difference, does anyone have experience with one or both? Would love a pros an cons list.

3. Tipup line: I mostly use waxed Dacron backing line made for fly reels, but if there’s something you prefer I’d love to hear about it and why.

4. Storage: I’m a painter in my day job, so I have nearly unlimited access to 5 gallon buckets, but if you know a better way, or have some tips to prevent tangling or damage during transport, I’d love to hear it.

5. Windlass tipups? I’ve seen them featured in a few in-fisherman videos and such. It looks like they’re still manufactured but only by one company, if anyone’s used them, I’d like to know about durability, pros and cons, etc.

Mostly I fish for bass and trout with tipups right now, though I do intend to also target walleye, tiger muskie, perch, and catfish with them.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tipup arsenal
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2023, 02:25 PM »
Ifish-nos have a decent trigger but are trash for storage this more or less makes them unusable imo. Definitely look at foolers or another option

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2023, 03:43 PM »
  Hi
 I have used them all. since last year I have used the finicky fooler. The fish can run and land on a rod. Good for pike , walleye and trout .  Here is a YouTube vid I just made . I talk about fooler at start.

Thanks
                Newman

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2023, 04:57 PM »
HT Ice rigger works well and breaks down for OK storage.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2023, 06:02 PM »
I can speak to #3 and #5.

#3 - Tipup line is almost always 30 - 36# Dacron. Most often PTFE coated if I can get a value deal on it. I use the vinyl coated stuff on Windlass rigs. See #5...

#5 - Here's a link to something I posted last year: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=380170.msg4126992#msg4126992. Still applies.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.