Author Topic: Newfound Chronicles  (Read 13946 times)

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Newfound Chronicles
« Reply #60 on: Feb 04, 2023, 08:49 AM »

Finally got the house out.

:clap: :clap:
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #61 on: Feb 04, 2023, 09:35 AM »
Windy and cold again but warming up!

Wind 23mph, Wind Chill Temp -40F
Outside Temp: -13F

Warming up to Wind 12mph, Wind Chill Temp -26F. Outside Temp -6 since the sun is up.

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 04, 2023, 12:22 PM »
That is dang cold! Good luck.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Feb 06, 2023, 09:15 AM »
I'm coming up soon and staying at a house on webster. Was planning on driving over to winnisquam to try for Lakers and cusk but it sounds like there's not much ice there. Looking into trying out newfound for the first time. Not looking for any size but would be nice to get into a few, especially cusk. Would wellington Beach or Cummings Beach be a better access?
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Feb 06, 2023, 04:02 PM »
I'm coming up soon and staying at a house on webster. Was planning on driving over to winnisquam to try for Lakers and cusk but it sounds like there's not much ice there. Looking into trying out newfound for the first time. Not looking for any size but would be nice to get into a few, especially cusk. Would wellington Beach or Cummings Beach be a better access?
Right now, I believe Cummings is the only choice. The original poster of this thread is Jiggin and Newfound is his go-to lake for ice fishing. He should update when Wellington might be available for getting on the ice…then again, maybe he won’t 🤣

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #65 on: Feb 07, 2023, 11:32 AM »

The best place to launch a wheeler or sled or bob house is at the foot of the lake. Right after the chapel, coming down the hill towards the lake, take a right. There is a shoveled out spot for access to the lake. Park along the side of the road, it may be marked with resident only but that's not the case in the winter time. From there you can travel north to Cummings beach or Gramps cove etc etc...
When they redid Cummings beach, they mucked up the access very badly for us ice fishermen.

DO NOT travel between Mayhew Island and the main shore (Pike's point). It's always thin ice between the two.

Wellington boat launch had open water yesterday. You can get out a little ways but only in maybe 4 feet of water (good for rainbows) but any further out is open water.

I did fly my drone to check out ice conditions. It looked like most of the lake was caught on Sunday but there were a few massive open water holes here and there. I dont believe you'd be able to get to the north end of Mayhew or further.....it didnt look thick enough. I lost the video footage i hit a tree, (not paying attention) and ended up wiping out the footage by mistake.

Cusk in Newfound are typically small but that's not to say there aren't any big ones in there.

Good luck!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 07, 2023, 11:45 AM »
Thanks Jiggin....

Hopefully the drone didn't suffer too much damage due to the tree jumping in front of it.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #67 on: Feb 07, 2023, 11:52 AM »
Thanks Jiggin....

Hopefully the drone didn't suffer too much damage due to the tree jumping in front of it.

Lol....no, it was all me simply not paying attention and watching what i was filming. I have to send it in for repairs so it'll be gone for a while. I still have 2 more to use (older models) that I dont mind destroying if that happens again.

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #68 on: Feb 07, 2023, 03:08 PM »
Me and some buddies have a house rented north of pikes that we booked months ago. Paid for it well in advance, so I'm gonna go and not enjoy seeing the sun rise over the water.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Feb 07, 2023, 06:27 PM »
Appreciate the advice. Like i said size isn't much concern. Just want to check those off the list and keep a few for chowder if possible.
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #70 on: Feb 09, 2023, 11:50 AM »

Just in, The AVFD Derby ie: The Newfound Derby is CANCELLED for 2023 due to ice conditions etc....

I gotta go cry now......

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #71 on: Feb 09, 2023, 03:04 PM »

Just in, The AVFD Derby ie: The Newfound Derby is CANCELLED for 2023 due to ice conditions etc....

I gotta go cry now......

Ooooooof, that's devastating news.
Marking anything?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 09, 2023, 03:29 PM »
So sorry to hear this b
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 09, 2023, 10:29 PM »
That is too bad, I know it was a bid deal for the Department and the Circus folk...

Are they doing a raffle or anything to make up for the loss of funds?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #74 on: Feb 10, 2023, 06:44 AM »
That is too bad, I know it was a bid deal for the Department and the Circus folk...

Are they doing a raffle or anything to make up for the loss of funds?

Yep, this is a big deal for us. It's our yearly "Superbowl".

Thanks for asking about the raffle....I forgot to post, still drying my eyes out.

"The AVFD. Has canceled the fishing derby,  they are going to do a raffle for $ 1000.00 there is only  250 Tickets for this drawing on March 11th . The tickets are $ 20.00 each. We (Newfound Trading Post) will have the tickets as soon as they get them printed"

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:17 AM »
Jiggin is the best

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #76 on: Feb 10, 2023, 11:08 AM »

Heads up. There is an ice rescue taking place on Newfound. No other info at this time.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 10, 2023, 11:35 AM »

Heads up. There is an ice rescue taking place on Newfound. No other info at this time.

Oh man. ARGO assisted?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Feb 10, 2023, 02:31 PM »

BRISTOL NH - NEWFOUND LAKE - ICE RESCUE - MULTIPLE PERSONS TRAPPED ON ICE - NH55

Guessing a large sheet of ice broke off in the wind...

Offline winnicookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 10, 2023, 02:32 PM »
Is that happening now?

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Feb 10, 2023, 03:06 PM »
Is that happening now?

Original alert was from 11:30 AM...so hopefully everyone is on dry land by now...but I really have no idea.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 10, 2023, 03:08 PM »
Sure hope everyone gets out of it ok
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline INeedALaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Feb 17, 2023, 09:39 AM »
Hey guys, couple friends and I have a house rented right in Hebron on newfound near grey rocks for March 3-6. Is there any chance we’ll be able to get out on the ice you think?

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #83 on: Feb 17, 2023, 10:34 AM »

Hey guys, couple friends and I have a house rented right in Hebron on newfound near grey rocks for March 3-6. Is there any chance we’ll be able to get out on the ice you think?

This was off Indian Point Rd yesterday! Looking north.

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 17, 2023, 10:53 AM »
i have a couple kayaks you can use on indian point   is it still ice fishing if you paddle on on top a chunk of ice ?

More than 3 cars in my driveway when I get home ? Probably an intervention! I’m outta there!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 17, 2023, 12:01 PM »

This was off Indian Point Rd yesterday! Looking north.

Ouch! That pic looks like it might be April!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 17, 2023, 12:43 PM »
Doesn’t look like we will be waiting for ice out come April 1st this season unless something changes drastically.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #87 on: Feb 17, 2023, 06:47 PM »

Warm and rained today causing pools of water on the surface of the ice. Had to keep gathering whatever I could scrape up for slush to fill around the buckets to keep water from running into my holes preventing swirlies. (opening up my holes = bad).
As the wind picked up, it dropped the temps and all the water on the surface harden up pretty quickly. 35mph winds dropped temps to 9F (wind chill).

Should be solid in the morning until it warms up again.

Not done just yet......but what a crapty season.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #88 on: Feb 17, 2023, 07:04 PM »
2.16.23 Yesterday. Decided to move my house due to having a crack underneath that had opened up slightly. With the rain coming, it would have opened up a lot. Conditions were good so took advantage of that.

2.17.23 Today, Warm and Rain. Then the winds picked up and made the surface water solid.  :thumbsup:

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #89 on: Feb 21, 2023, 06:50 PM »
2.17 - 2.20.23

Good weekend. Maintained ice conditions and maybe make some (not much), holes froze over each night.
Fishing in 55 FOW and had constant fish under the house all weekend. Saw lakers, smelt, perch and fish I could not identify.

Interested in thoughts as to what these fish are on bottom. They don't swim like smelt and very small to be lakers. You can see them shinning while eating chum. Forked tail as far as I could tell. There were several on bottom and stayed all day / all weekend but unfortunately the visibility on camera was horrible.
Scoob fished with me on Sunday and thought he had a few hits but said they were small biters. White fish perhaps??

Had a few visitors come out and great conversations. A couple from Ukraine from Goffstown, DConICE, Bill and a couple of others that I didn't know but were interested in ice fishing / bobhouse / argo, the experience. Thanks for visiting! Plenty of people ice skating, some places where they shouldn't have.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.