Author Topic: Budget friendly options  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Budget friendly options
« on: Jan 14, 2023, 10:49 AM »
If you were to spend up to $350, what would be your choice between the following :

• $255 Vexilar FL-8SE Genz Pack w/ 19 Degree Ice Ducer

• $298 Garmin Striker Plus 4 Ice Fishing Bundle

• $335 Vexilar Ice Pro FLX12 Fish Locator w/ 12 degree IceDucer Transducer

• $340 Vexilar FL-18 Genz Pack w/ 12 Degree Ice Ducer

Concerns: portability, durability, battery life, ease of use, accessories like transport cases etc.

Typically used in less than 50 ft of water.

I'm in need of something. Could probably manage to wait until end of season in case sale prices get any better than these (at this exact moment). I known there are better units or better bundles, but it's been an expensive month for me so far and I'd like to be as thrifty as possible while still getting something that performs well and is easy to use (and won't cost me an arm and a leg to upgrade components) 
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Budget friendly options
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2023, 10:56 AM »
Vexilar fl18 would serve many years.simple and bulletproof.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2023, 11:03 AM »
Vexilar FL 18 for the win ...hard to beat the low power and auto zoom features along with the tried and tested durability The Genz box is pretty rough and trouble add a  Trophy Angler Bag and you should be set .
The 12 deg transducer should do all you need. My FL 18 is from 2003 ..years of service is priceless

Dont forget the FLX2 20 ..little more options/features than the FL 18 ...

Reeds is suppose to have a sale on Vexilar tomorrow  1/15/23 ..Reeds is tricky with their shipping ...but if they dont have free shipping Scheels will price match ..and Thorne Bros as well

https://www.reedssports.com/ice-fishing/electronics-1/ice-fishing-electronics-flashers-sonar?brand=20006&p=1

https://www.reedssports.com/fishing/trophy-angler-square-bottom-electronics-bag-asg-igsp-2-661799342025
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2023, 11:10 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2023, 11:14 AM »
I figure the flx20 is probably overkill for me, but it is quite nice. In all honesty the fl8se would probably be sufficient for me, as I don't have anything right now, but from what I've been able to research the fl18 is the best bang for your buck.

Size and portability is definitely a concern for me, as I have a small sled and usually hand-drag for most of the season (a dozen or so outings a year). Are all the vexilars small enough to fit in a bucket or milk crate to make it easier packing the sled?

I'll keep an eye on Reeds. So far, my experience has been that Fleet Farm (as priced above) is better priced compared to Scheels, not to mention a shorter drive. But I'm always chasing a better deal.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2023, 11:33 AM »
The genz packs dont fit in a bucket but will in a milk crate.the propack and ultra pack fit in a bucket but are more money just for the case.id get a genz pack unit.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2023, 11:35 AM »
The genz packs dont fit in a bucket but will in a milk crate.the propack and ultra pack fit in a bucket but are more money just for the case.id get a genz pack unit.

Good to know, thanks!

Offline fishchef

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2023, 11:59 AM »
Fleet Farm has the FL18 Genz Pack w 12 degree transducer on sale for $359.99 w free shipping.  Today is last day of sale:

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/product/0000000006544?utm_source=weeklyad&utm_campaign=C23021

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2023, 12:02 PM »
Last day? Well crap!

God my credit card hates me so bad right now....

Offline fishchef

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2023, 12:33 PM »

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2023, 12:47 PM »
I have the Garmin Striker 4 and love it. I generally fish 20’ and less and use the traditional screen instead of the flasher. It serves my needs well

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2023, 01:22 PM »
Correction.  Link actually states price is $339.99! 

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/product/0000000006544?utm_source=weeklyad&utm_campaign=C23021

I double checked it to be sure, but yeah that was the one I listed. It really does seam like the best overall deal, but this is all new to me and I'm largely ignorant about flashers. And while I've got the money, $300 is still $300; it's a lot of money to me.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2023, 01:25 PM »
I have the Garmin Striker 4 and love it. I generally fish 20’ and less and use the traditional screen instead of the flasher. It serves my needs well

I have zero experience with a regular fish finder, and only familiarity is with a buddy's flasher, how is the traditional screen different in what information is presented?

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2023, 04:47 PM »
I don’t know if you can pull up images from farming website. But you are looking at the bottom and can see your jigs as a straight line off the bottom. Then you’ll see red lines raising up off the bottom towards the jigs.
I took most of the pictures off, but you can see the screen in the lower left

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2023, 05:09 PM »
Here’s a few better pics Splattypus. It will give you depth to bottom, water temp, and battery power.
You can see the bottom, some blue, then another line which are my jigs. Sorry, I pulled the pics of the computer so they’re not the best.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2023, 05:34 PM »
Oh nice, thanks for the pics looks like a little easier presentation than the circular graph

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2023, 05:34 PM »
<----- This is what you see on the screen.

I have zero experience with a regular fish finder, and only familiarity is with a buddy's flasher, how is the traditional screen different in what information is presented?
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2023, 05:46 PM »
I find the graf (Garmin) much more helpful as I like to see the "history" of what has been happening down there in addition to that moment, something a flasher does not do. I also use my different sounders out in my boats in the open water season (more bang for my buck), even in my canoe... Yes, you can use a flasher on a boat, but it is much less practical. In the end both work.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2023, 06:27 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I ended up pulling the trigger on the vexilar fl-18 Genz Pack with 12 Degree transducer. The price was right, thanks to coupons and promos I was able to get it for $351 when it's all said and done.

The price was good. I think biggest determining factor was that it does exactly what I need it to do really well, and purportedly has incredible longevity. If I master this and decide I need different features or applications, the Garmin is still calling to me strongly.  While I was excited for all the different projects the Garmin was going to lead to, it was also going to cost me a lot more money to do them. And I have almost no impulse control.  So this seemed like the smartest investment at the time.

I'm sure I wouldn't have regretted any decision I made though

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2023, 06:48 PM »
Good luck with the unit and glad to help

Offline BRsnow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2023, 02:09 PM »
Does the target separation between FL-18 and FLX 20 make a practical difference? Lots if sales right now, so looking to pick up another unit. Thanks

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2023, 07:33 PM »
All I know is it can't get here quick enough. Getting tired of getting skunked

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2023, 09:00 PM »
I ran an FL-8se for many years and it is a good unit. I ran the Striker 4 on my boat for years and just last year got a Garmin EchoMap for both ice and open water. I never ran the Striker 4 Garmin unit on the ice, but if it's about the same as the bigger unit just with a smaller screen, I would much rather have the Garmin. You get much better target separation, bottom zoom and all kinds of other features. Check this video review out of the Striker 4.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2023, 09:22 PM »
The Garmin are very solid units, for sure. Lots of neat features and settings. About the same price as the mid-range vexilars, though, and if you need to upgrade the ice Ducer, or buy any any accessories, the price can add up quick (but doesn't have to, I've seen some lure genius solutions from folk here on IS).

The FL-8SE  seems to be a hell of a product and by far the best price. Tons of people still using them a decade or more later. Maybe thats the route I should have gone, dipping my toes into the electronics game. But I'm sure I'll be satisfied with my purchase of the 18,  gives me room to expand my opportunities.

And I can always buy more toys later. Toys are fun

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2023, 06:39 AM »
Splattypus  Good luck with your FL18 purchase ...you are in for years of service .. Goods video to watch as you wait for your purchase to arrive .

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2023, 06:41 PM »
Awesome, thank you so much!

It just arrived today, I'm gonna unbox it as soon as I finish dinner!

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2023, 09:57 PM »
You will be very happy with that FL18.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2023, 10:00 PM »
 FL18.  ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2023, 03:57 AM »

Fl18 is a solid unit , ran vex for  a couple decades before switching to graph

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2023, 08:05 AM »
My first unit was the garmin stirker 4. Worked wonderfully for what i wanted and as a beginner unit. Personally, i prefer the graph to the flasher so that influenced my decision. I have since upgraded my unit but still keep the striker around to let friends borrow. Great entry level unit for sure.

As for the Vex, my friends who have them all have no complaints. They prefer the flasher style finder to graphs. I guess would be a personal preference for which way to go. If you have a chance to use either first, id definitely recommend that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.