Author Topic: Ice season  (Read 5584 times)

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice season
« on: Jan 10, 2023, 01:25 PM »
As of right now the season at best will be short to over. A polar vortex would change all that but that's not going to happen anytime in the next two weeks then it will take another few days after it hits. I'm hopeful we can get on what i call safe ice by late January but again right now that's being very optimistic. Not having ice doesn't shut down the fishing but i just didn't get my fix during that late dec run. Either give me ice or an early spring, say February.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice season
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2023, 05:09 PM »
I noticed that most of the lakes I drove by today were skimmed over again, which tells me if we would just get another cold front or two, we could get back on. We need a “clipper” as the meteorologist say and we would have a chance. I see cold temperatures in Wisconsin and Minnesota but our weather has been coming out of the southwest rather than the northwest. Fingers crossed for a shift in the jet stream. Hex

Offline Oaktree1215

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Look at them cheeks!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2023, 08:21 AM »
Might as well live where it's not cold in the winter. It's terrible being cold and muddy and not getting to get out fishing.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2023, 08:42 AM »
Might as well live where it's not cold in the winter. It's terrible being cold and muddy and not getting to get out fishing.
You can still get fishing just not on the ice. The bite is back on at the Sally and i would bet you can pick up fish on the Missy also. Having said that it still sucks not having ice when we should have ice. Seems like it always takes a polar vortex to make ice. Polar vortexes are too cold for this old man to fish during so i have to wait til it warms a bit and by that time it seems it starts a slow to sometimes a fast melt. Am i asking for too much for say 30's for highs and teens for lows for a month or so. 

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2023, 09:20 AM »
I'm beyond bummed. Wasn't able to get out during the short cold snap we had due to work.
  Booked a couple shanties on sturgeon bay mid February to fish for whitefish,  just hoping they have ice so I can at least get my fix.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2023, 09:24 AM »
It definitely sucks seeing the ice go so quick, but I'm not wringing my hands just yet. It's only the 2nd week of January, so there's plenty of time for a late month or February turn.

Heck, a few years back the season was over, then we had that cold turn the beginning of March and had a last round of  fishable ice for a week or so.

Offline bherr24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2023, 10:26 AM »
Seeing a lot of days last 2 weeks of january with highs in the low 30s and lows in the teens. Hopefully that holds. At one point a while back it showed great temps for next week too and now its mid 40s every day. I planned on hittin one of the resis saturday but wondering if it will be skimmed over after the temps friday night. I just want to fish.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2023, 11:01 AM »
Seeing a lot of days last 2 weeks of january with highs in the low 30s and lows in the teens. Hopefully that holds. At one point a while back it showed great temps for next week too and now its mid 40s every day. I planned on hittin one of the resis saturday but wondering if it will be skimmed over after the temps friday night. I just want to fish.
The weekend will depend on the wind. People are catching fish on both resi's right now. I plan on hitting the sally in the morning. May have to find a wind free area.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2023, 11:15 AM »
Just natures’ way of protecting the resource!

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2023, 02:29 PM »
Glad I made it out on Christmas day and everyday after until Thurs night.  My reason for getting out to enjoy the fishing was that I was getting my knee replaced on Jan.3.   Fishing was ok and we had three meals but it was just good to get out.  That last day on Thurs. was some iffy ice but I went anyway.  I live south of Ft Wayne so it didn't take much of the ponds to get soft edges and sloppy on top.   Just wish now I could get the long poles out but spring will be here probably sooner than we want it to but I'll be ready to go.   Hope there will be ice back soon for you guys to get back out there.  Good luck.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2023, 03:28 PM »
Hope we are able to get out a couple weeks in February.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:59 AM »
Walleyedan,
Here's hoping your surgery was a success! I walk with a guy at the Mall each morning that was walking with us a month after his surgery. Hope you are doing as well.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2023, 09:35 AM »
Hope the knee recovery goes well. I had both of mine replaced in 2021 and it just takes time to get all the movement back but no more pain. Hang in there and 1 day at a time.
Tom

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2023, 05:11 PM »
I want to know what happened to the guys that said "Where's that global warm now?" when we had those bitter cold temps.  They seem stay quiet when temps are unseasonable mild.  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2023, 05:11 PM »
I noticed that most of the lakes I drove by today were skimmed over again, which tells me if we would just get another cold front or two, we could get back on. We need a “clipper” as the meteorologist say and we would have a chance. I see cold temperatures in Wisconsin and Minnesota but our weather has been coming out of the southwest rather than the northwest. Fingers crossed for a shift in the jet stream. Hex

My ponds are completely ice free today. The wind is keeping them from skimming over.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:38 PM »
No ice anywhere around here, and doesn't look like we'll be making any for the next week.

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2023, 11:19 AM »
No ice anywhere around here, and doesn't look like we'll be making any for the next week.

I had to drive 3.5 hrs into Michigan this weekend to get out! we found 7" of ice though and had a day catching pike Saturday.
River City Baits - Fort Wayne Indiana

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2023, 12:53 PM »
I had to drive 3.5 hrs into Michigan this weekend to get out! we found 7" of ice though and had a day catching pike Saturday.

Been thinking about doing the same... Where in Michigan/what area? Going to do some googling on decent lakes just need to know how far north
Limit your kill - Don't kill your limit!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2023, 01:19 PM »

It'll be a while, if at all locally. The forecast looks a lot better after Thursday, but it will be really slow building ice unless we get a good cold snap.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2023, 05:31 PM »
I'm, heading to Cadillac next month.

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2023, 06:49 AM »
Been thinking about doing the same... Where in Michigan/what area? Going to do some googling on decent lakes just need to know how far north

We stayed in Clare and got on several lakes in the area and went no farther than 30-40 minutes from Clare to hope lakes.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2023, 03:53 PM »
Surgery went fine.  Just doing rehab now.   Looks like some colder temps are coming in another week..  Those low teens should make some ice somewhere as long as the winds don't kick up.  Good luck those guys that are able to find ice and get out  Stay safe.

Offline Lucass111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2023, 07:01 PM »
We stayed in Clare and got on several lakes in the area and went no farther than 30-40 minutes from Clare to hope lakes.

How did you guys do? Plan on going this weekend.

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2023, 10:23 AM »
How did you guys do? Plan on going this weekend.

Panfish not so hot, but the pike were active on jigging rods and tipups.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2023, 04:24 PM »
Mid March weather here in February in Northern Indiana. 50's to near 60 for highs. If things go the way they have been the last few years Spring will end up being below normal temps though.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2023, 04:32 PM »
Mid March weather here in February in Northern Indiana. 50's to near 60 for highs. If things go the way they have been the last few years Spring will end up being below normal temps though.
I'd like to see 60* water temps year round so a longer spring wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2023, 04:58 PM »
I'd like to see 60* water temps year round so a longer spring wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Same here. Wouldn't have to run the well to grow trout either.

Did you know there is place on the planet where it rarely falls below 32 F. and goes above 70 F.? It's Patagonia. Incredible trout fishing too.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2023, 08:44 PM »
I'm heading to Cadillac on Friday morning.  Putting my equipment away on Sunday night or Monday morning.

Offline Michigan Slim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigander by birth, Hoosier by force!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2023, 11:14 AM »
Put my stuff away and charged the boat batteries.
Heart in Michigan. Stuck in Indiana.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2023, 05:07 PM »
2 boats on adams, 3 at dukes bridge, 3 dallas launch, 1 at oliver, 2 at Indian lakes by coddy brows and 1 on atwwood.  i am  on oliver tomorrow.
wawasee if over 40 degrees this weekend.
yep, done gone and over.  maybe 2 days the last week of Feb on 2", and ill go, but loading the boat now!
BTW..... motors with EFI are amazing! just touched the key on the optimax and before i let off the key..... she fired!!!
Hello Spring!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.