The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy ice scout  (Read 1699 times)

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy ice scout
« on: Jan 04, 2023, 03:49 PM »
Has anyone used one? I’d be more interested in it to drill holes for the transducer than checking ice depth but could be useful trying to find drop offs or other desired structure.

Just wondering if it’s worth the perks to lug another piece of equipment out.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Jiffy ice scout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2023, 07:37 AM »
Not certain of any perks ..another item to bring ..possibly another drill .. swapping out a drill just seems very inefficient . Drilling another hole with your current auger set up seems much easier and efficient.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2023, 08:03 AM »
Has anyone used one? I’d be more interested in it to drill holes for the transducer than checking ice depth but could be useful trying to find drop offs or other desired structure.

Just wondering if it’s worth the perks to lug another piece of equipment out.

I've been using the Scout regularly this year to post our ice updates.  It's handy for what we do, especially on the early ice, when we are just checking things and not fishing.  If you are using a drill auger already, I don't think you would see much benefit from it.  The Scout cuts a little harder than a pistol bit, or similar, and those augers are already super light.  If you're using an heavier auger, it would certainly be a little lighter to carry and check the drop offs and such.  The hole is very small and doesn't pull the slush out super well.   

Don
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]
www.wellsborotacklesha ck.com

Shop Online anytime at www.shoptackleshack.co m

Like us on Facebook- www.facebook.com/wellsborotackleshack

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram
@Wellsborotackleshack #tackleshack #fishtiogacounty

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2023, 08:16 AM »
Nice to see a review with the pros and cons from a vendor.  :thumbsup:

First thing I thought when I saw them come out was "why?" It just seems very unneccessary and redundant if you're already running an electric rig to me 🤷‍♂️

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2023, 09:45 AM »
my prediction - if you want one, buy it now or you'll be scouring the used market for one in a few years. 

I could see 2 use cases. 

1.  you are still lugging around a big ole gas/lp auger and want to check the ice for thickness.  is it save to walk on, is it safe to drive on, etc. 

2.  it can fit a transducer down it and you want to check depths very quickly.   We have fished on lakes where NAIFC guys are prefishing.  they drive around on their snow mobiles and atvs and use 3-4" augers to check spots.   I believe that has changed a bit as now everyone is using livescope but I could see the use for it still.   bt i'm not sure it will fit bigger ducers.  who knows. 

But otherwise it just seems an unnecessary tool. 

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2023, 06:01 PM »
I could see using it for scouting purposes . Can chuck down the ducer on the finder but I  would think dropping down a camera would be very useful. I would think the smaller auger uses less battery and drills a hole faster. I haven't tried one yet, though. Also curious about reviews. Had one in my hand at cabelas but passed due to already overinflated Christmas budget, but I am interested.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2023, 09:46 PM »
It looks like a really nice tool for what it is, but a recreational fishing instrument it is not. The people who would be using that auger are going to be commercial. Anyone checking safe thicknesses for roads, which could be resorts, possibly DOT or whatever the Canadian version is. It would also be great for leaving markers for said roads. The description lists this auger as good for ice rescue. I have no idea how often trucks need to be winched out of a snow bank, but I'm guessing it isn't very often compared to a simple tow.

I can't imagine why a fisherman would want one. If you maintain your own plowed path way out on a big lake, then maybe it would be handy. If you are on foot, I don't think this would be a good replacement for a spud bar early season, and once it gets thicker who cares. As for the transducer thing, you guys do know you don't need to drill a hole for a transducer to work, right? You just kick away any snow if there is any, drizzle a little water down, and set your transducer on that.
-Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.