Author Topic: Is there wax worm shortage  (Read 2799 times)

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is there wax worm shortage
« on: Jan 01, 2023, 03:55 PM »
Is there a shortage of wax worm or are they selling a ton of them. I have been to about 4 different places and are sold out. I just decided to order from Jada Bait Co. and get it over. For now plastic will have to do. We need some cold temperature to get the ice a little safer. Be safe :tipup:

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is there wax worm shortage
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2023, 05:46 PM »
We had a short cold snap here. I searched every local place that sold bait. Every one was empty or had rotten bait in the coolers. One stunk so bad I let the lady at the counter know.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline IlliniIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2023, 08:58 AM »
some of the places around here quit carrying wax worms, like farm king and gas stations.
i drive almost 100 miles roundtrip a couple times a season to pick up a tub of 250
but there are days when the bite is so good i just use plastics or spoons
and opening some of those gas station worm fridges can about knock you over from the smell  ;D

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2023, 05:08 AM »
Not many places carry them around here anymore, and most of the time the ones that do have a bunch of half dead ones in the tubs.

I switched to Gulp Waxies a few winters ago and never looked back. I catch just as many fish on them as the real deal, and don't have to worry about keeping them alive.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2023, 05:41 AM »
I know in my area most bait shops dont order till around 1st of the year..they sell off the left over bait from fall fishing ...as  Jan 1st  seems to be the season kickoff .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2023, 07:37 AM »
ZCM82
Do you think the quality of Gulp Waxies are better now then a few years back. Years ago they just same to be rubbery texture and brake easily.
Be safe  :tipup:

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2023, 07:41 AM »
I've never really had a big issue with them. I bought a ton of them on clearance a few years back from a place that was going out of business, and I'm still using that stash with no problems.

It does seem like the white and natural colored ones are more fragile than the other colors in my experience, though.

Offline bassin140

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2023, 03:46 PM »
I am in same boat on southern end of ice belt they are pretty dang hard to find. I was listening to a podcast and they recommended beaver tail bait as a wax worm/spike substitute. I figured what the heck do I have to lose and bought 15 bucks worth from their website. That was two years ago and I am still using them. The action is incredible and it still has the “meat” aspect of a live bait option. Let’s just say I don’t even shop anymore for live bait and go straight to my stash of beaver tail bait. It is recommended you keep them in the fridge when not in use so they don’t dry out. Highly recommended

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2023, 06:38 AM »
Like Zcm82 said, the gulp alive waxie's work good.  I have some white and pink ones that go on every spoon I drop.  Also at times the gulp alive minnow 1" size can be hot as well. I think some of the better plastic's have a better action if that's what the fish are looking for that day, but I do trust the science behind the berkley products.
If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2023, 07:05 AM »
I like the natural, white, and chartreuse best, but occasionally I'll have a day where they go nuts on the pink or red ones, too.

I've tried the little Gulp minnows with sort of disappointing results, but I'm also just after panfish more than bigger stuff. I have had a few bass and catfish smack them, but it seems like even they are more likely to hit the waxies if I have a line with each bait down.

The little Powerbait Fry work good for me on occasion, too. If the fish are being real finicky, sometimes I'll lop most of the head off the fry and just string the tail bit on a little 3mm tungsten jig.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2023, 07:32 AM »
Last fall there was a shortage around where i live in Michigan.i couldnt find any and had to use spikes for fall steelhead.im seriously thinking about starting a big waxworm farm in one of the barns.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2023, 07:53 AM »
Last fall there was a shortage around where i live in Michigan.i couldnt find any and had to use spikes for fall steelhead.im seriously thinking about starting a big waxworm farm in one of the barns.

Yup. And what are available around here aren't cheap. If I remember right, the last time I looked, they were $4 for 36 or 50. ???
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2023, 08:01 AM »
Yup. And what are available around here aren't cheap. If I remember right, the last time I looked, they were $4 for 36 or 50. ???
yeah a 250 count at side door party store came to 20$.swan lake probably cheaper tho.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2023, 08:10 AM »

They've been hen's teeth around here a few years, and when you do happen to find some, half of them are dead.

I'm pretty much a Gulp guy for life now, just way less headache with the near indefinite shelf life. They will turn to mush if you leave them somewhere real hot for a long time though.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2023, 08:19 AM »
I tried it several years back. I grew some giant wax worms. The problem was I couldn't get them to stop going into a cocoon.  I tried freezing them and they didn't stop. Tried freezing longer and killed them. They take for ever to pick out of cacoons
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Arquero3d

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2023, 11:19 AM »
Presley's (near Peoria) usually has them.  I picked up 250 a month ago, just in case they became hard to find. 

In years past, I've had decent luck at pet supply stores.  I've even been known to buy goldfish by the dozens, when desperate!  Once, a high-school-aged worker wanted to know what I was going to do with 2 dozen goldfish...she was sorry she asked!

Disclaimer:  Fishing with live goldfish may not be legal in all waters!
Fisher of Fishermen

Offline Fonzie2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2023, 06:18 PM »
Here in N. Illinois, I always buy my waxies at a pet store.
They cost more that way, but they're fresh and plump.

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2023, 11:12 AM »
For sure I'm going to keep the pet stores for wax worm in mine. Good idea.  Be safe!!  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.