Author Topic: Shanty covers; Otter vs Cabelas?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shanty covers; Otter vs Cabelas?
« on: Dec 30, 2022, 08:41 PM »
Looking to get a cover for my Otter Cabin XT Pro. Otter’s website sucks and has zero info on their covers.

I found a video on Cabelas stating it has adjustable elastic and zippered top entry.

Can anybody with either comment on their features and construction/durability?

Offline Klarson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Shanty covers; Otter vs Cabelas?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2022, 08:56 PM »
I have experience with both.
I still have the Cabelas one and it has been a very durable cover for me. It has the zippered openings at the top although i don't use those much. The waterproof coating they have on the underneath side stands up to the test of time for me.

The Otter one lost it's waterproof coating after 1 season. My son still uses it on his flipover but it looks more like a black "see through" sheet now and it starting to fray around the edges.
Both of these covers are about 5 years old. The Otter looks it's age but the Cabelas one doesn't.

One other feature I like about the Cabelas one is that it has an adjustable bungee cord that snugs up tightly or can be loosened and re tightened to adjust for different amounts of gear stashed underneath it.

Offline WelderMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2022, 05:41 AM »
This is a 3 year old cover no holes and still fits like the day I bought it.
Exactly what you see a fitted cover with bungee cord to keep it in place. Never had an issue with it and will buy another when this one fails.
No experience with any other brand but have never thought I need to replace the otter cover due to under performance.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2022, 08:40 AM »
Another option to consider

https://www.marinegeneral.com/product/trophy-angler-dlx-universal-sled-cover/

My buddy has an Eskimo 2600 ..he ended up getting the the cover for the 2800 ..a scored deal from Amazon Warehouse for $20..it seemed oversized when just placed it on the tub alone ...but after the shelter was assembled/built it fits nice it is oversized ...no fighting to get it on or off . Used it yesterday on one inch of water atop 7 in of ice towed by an ATV...everything was nice dry . That plastic coating on the front is a very nice touch .

https://www.amazon.com/Eskimo-Ice-Shelter-Travel-Cover/dp/B072JBL57V/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1NNKVNJVISN8T&keywords=eskimo+cover&qid=1672497482&sprefix=eskimo+cover%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-7
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2022, 08:18 PM »
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I think I’ll try out the Cabelas cover since they have it on the shelf at my local Bass Pro.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.