Beads or no beads?

Beads by hook?

Beads above the swivel?

Color for walleye?

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Beads?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2022, 11:48 AM »
Some of my setups have beads some of them do not.
Some of my setups may have a spinner blade or other eye catching flash and others do not.
And I always keep a few plain set ups as well.
For me it's good to have a mix of things in the arsenal and if one isn't working switch it out for something else.
Beads can definitely add some color and attraction to a setup but sometimes the fish just want a plain rig.
I like to use bright colored beads reds, oranges, chartreuse, yellow, etc. when I'm using a setup with beads

KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2022, 12:22 PM »
Some of my setups may have a spinner blade or other eye catching flash and others do not.
For me it's good to have a mix of things in the arsenal and if one isn't working switch it out for something else.
Beads can definitely add some color and attraction to a setup but sometimes the fish just want a plain rig.
I like to use bright colored beads reds, oranges, chartreuse, yellow, etc. when I'm using a setup with beads

X2 on all you said. My first Pike this year came on one with a gold #4 Colorado blade 6" above the bait.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2022, 04:54 PM »

Yep! Mix it up. You never know what the fishies want. That said I've seen some gawd awful garish rigs (big blades, beads, colored floating thingies and combinations of all that stuff) but, at the same time, you gotta have fluorocarbon leader because those fish see a leader and they'll never bite. LMAO  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline rt dak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2022, 09:19 AM »
I started dressing up my leaders last year and had my best season yet. Not sure if that was the reason but I'm not going back now. This is how I did mine...

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2022, 10:06 AM »
I started dressing up my leaders last year and had my best season yet. Not sure if that was the reason but I'm not going back now. This is how I did mine...

(Image removed from quote.)

Yes...similar to what I do. Only difference is I run the blade about 6" above the hook.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline NEW222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2022, 10:36 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Just a quick question. Do you just attach just a minnow to the rig you show? Do you have to add any weight? And if a minnow, have you had luck with frozen minnows? Sorry for all the question but I am looking for a new wallets tippy idea and really like the way you're looks. Thank you.

Offline rt dak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2022, 10:17 AM »
Just a quick question. Do you just attach just a minnow to the rig you show? Do you have to add any weight? And if a minnow, have you had luck with frozen minnows? Sorry for all the question but I am looking for a new wallets tippy idea and really like the way you're looks. Thank you.

Yes just a minnow, I've never used frozen. The only weight I use is small rubbercore weight on the main tip-up line right above the leader.

Offline NEW222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2022, 09:11 PM »
Yes just a minnow, I've never used frozen. The only weight I use is small rubbercore weight on the main tip-up line right above the leader.

Thank you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.