The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Joe HO Ho Holland  (Read 35495 times)

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Joe HO Ho Holland
« Reply #120 on: Jan 12, 2023, 06:14 AM »
Gotta love burns...Those guys should keep their vids to big water and shut up about the rest. W#%&Evah!!! ...

They should keep their mouth shut about where they are regardless of the size of the lake. Show the action, don't burn the spot. But, it's all about $ in their pockets and spot burning ups the subscriber count. I agree with gamefisher, one great aspect of ice fishing is the relative solitude it affords if you search out a little known spot. Seems few people are willing to do their own homework anymore.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #121 on: Jan 12, 2023, 06:16 AM »
Agreed. There is one guy who sells consultations. 75$ and he’ll tell you all the spots via google maps. He’s a YouTube guy.

Jeez, and then theres this. Guiding over the phone or internet. WTH

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #122 on: Jan 12, 2023, 06:53 AM »
They should keep their mouth shut about where they are regardless of the size of the lake. Show the action, don't burn the spot. But, it's all about $ in their pockets and spot burning ups the subscriber count. I agree with gamefisher, one great aspect of ice fishing is the relative solitude it affords if you search out a little known spot. Seems few people are willing to do their own homework anymore.

We must be similar age bud because you hit the mark dead on.  We would fish a pond 20 times to get the hang of it and now people are pissed if you don't give them the who's, how's, and what's out of the gate! :'(  Internet heroism is all around us sadly, not just I.S., FB, and Youtube.

It's up to all of the old guard to give false info. on these sites and to the guy at the bait shop. ;D

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #123 on: Jan 12, 2023, 07:07 AM »
Agreed. There is one guy who sells consultations. 75$ and he’ll tell you all the spots via google maps. He’s a YouTube guy.
Lmao F$@! That guy!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Jan 12, 2023, 08:03 AM »
We must be similar age bud because you hit the mark dead on.  We would fish a pond 20 times to get the hang of it and now people are pissed if you don't give them the who's, how's, and what's out of the gate! :'(  Internet heroism is all around us sadly, not just I.S., FB, and Youtube.

It's up to all of the old guard to give false info. on these sites and to the guy at the bait shop. ;D

LOL! Us old farts need to stick together, a little fishing hotspot misinformation never hurt anybody.  >:D

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #125 on: Jan 12, 2023, 08:51 AM »
YUCKY!!!! DO NOT Support these professional burners!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Jan 12, 2023, 09:16 AM »
If you had told me 15 plus years ago on here that people from Maine (I think more that have moved to Maine) would enjoy catching yellow perch, crappie, and bluegill, I never would have believed it.  The mentality has really changed that quickly.  I did enjoy his video on axe making, real Maine history.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #127 on: Jan 12, 2023, 10:18 AM »
If you had told me 15 plus years ago on here that people from Maine (I think more that have moved to Maine) would enjoy catching yellow perch, crappie, and bluegill, I never would have believed it.  The mentality has really changed that quickly.  I did enjoy his video on axe making, real Maine history.

Same here I couldn't believe people ate that crap. Reading some the posts here makes me wonder what the mercury content is.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #128 on: Jan 12, 2023, 10:58 AM »
Same here I couldn't believe people ate that crap. Reading some the posts here makes me wonder what the mercury content is.
Actually,  crappies, yellow perch, sunfish, bluegills, and whitefish are some of the least bio accumulators as they eat very low on the food chain. Of course you could find it out yourself if you tried. Meanwhile primary consumers like large trout, bass, pickerel, pike and even white perch,  which are very long lived,  can have very high amounts of contaminants in them. Try to get educated their grubby!  The fishes bodies can be considered similarly to filters. Humans also... Some particles get stuck, especially heavy metals and man made chemicals. Higher on the food chain = more stuck molecular particles.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #129 on: Jan 12, 2023, 11:52 AM »

No doubt you're correct about changing attitudes. But I think there's two reasons to catch panfish, eating and lots of action.

On the ice, getting on a school of anything with a jigging rod is great fun. Especially for kids, action, action, action. I think people in Maine have always enjoyed the action part. Plus the availability of quality electronics has really advanced ice jigging, making it more like a video game. Who doesn't like a good video game?

For eating, the yellow perch I've caught in ME had grubs. No bueno. Not a fan of white perch to eat, bland IMO. Strange that west of NH eating a white perch makes you a leper, and yellow perch sell for $20+ a pound. I icefish a lake once or twice a season in clamfarmer/anomaly's childhood stomping grounds. The fishmongers will buy YP for $2/lb as they lie but won't accept WP as a gift. Not judging, just saying. Never eaten a bluegill anywhere, and don't intend to soil my palate. But a tasty crappie, yum.

All that being said, I don't spend half of my year in Maine because I want to catch panfish. They're in every single lake in "away" land. I want quality trout and salmon fishing.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #130 on: Jan 12, 2023, 12:14 PM »
For eating, the yellow perch I've caught in ME had grubs. The fishmongers will buy YP for $2/lb as they lie but won't accept WP as a gift. Not judging, just saying. Never eaten a bluegill anywhere, and don't intend to soil my palate. But a tasty crappie, yum.
Actually, bluegills are excellent eating. Firm and sweet. There are waters where the yellows here are "clean" or occasionally with a grub or two. Long Pond on MDI is one. Long Lake and the attached waters are said to be as well. To me crappie are good but bland... take a sauce well...hehe. Yellow perch fillets can be blanched for about 35 - 40 seconds w/Old Bay to have a very shrimp like texture. GREAT with cocktail sauce! Also they fry up nice and fish with a light sweet flavor. To me, white perch are kinda strong.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #131 on: Jan 12, 2023, 12:28 PM »
To me, white perch are kinda strong.

I soak the filets in milk overnight.  Same with stripers.  Makes a big difference.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #132 on: Jan 12, 2023, 12:35 PM »
Actually, bluegills are excellent eating. Firm and sweet. There are waters where the yellows here are "clean" or occasionally with a grub or two. Long Pond on MDI is one. Long Lake and the attached waters are said to be as well. To me crappie are good but bland... take a sauce well...hehe. Yellow perch fillets can be blanched for about 35 - 40 seconds w/Old Bay to have a very shrimp like texture. GREAT with cocktail sauce! Also they fry up nice and fish with a light sweet flavor. To me, white perch are kinda strong.

Something about sunfish, I just can't eat one. That goes for all members of the family, including bronze and green carp.  ;)

I've enjoyed YP from Oneida, as you say very tasty. The ones I've caught in ME have been in lakes with healthy populations of loons and fishcrates. So comes the grubs.  :-[  When I head to upstate NY it's specifically for the eyes, commonly referred to as the devil in ME.  :)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #133 on: Jan 12, 2023, 12:53 PM »
I soak the filets in milk overnight.  Same with stripers.  Makes a big difference.
I'll try that next white perch I catch...

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Jan 12, 2023, 01:03 PM »
I like to soak strippers in milk too 🤪
The possibilities are endless. 😁
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #135 on: Jan 12, 2023, 01:19 PM »
I like to soak strippers in milk too 🤪
The possibilities are endless. 😁
Bad boy lol

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #136 on: Jan 12, 2023, 02:35 PM »
If people keep voting the way they have been lately we will be lucky to eat a sunfish.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #137 on: Jan 12, 2023, 02:42 PM »
If people keep voting the way they have been lately we will be lucky to eat a sunfish.
HAHA! Planet grubby ain't in no bright sunshine!!!! For example....
"The Sportsman’s Alliance of Maine – Institute for Legislative Action (SAM-ILA) has given Governor Janet Mills an “A” grade and thumbs up in its 2022 Election Guide, applauding her collaborative approach to governing and her strong work to protect and expand opportunities for sportsmen, including replenishing the Land for Maine’s Future Program, improving Maine’s fish hatcheries, and addressing PFAS contamination. "

"The Sportsman’s Alliance of Maine – Institute for Legislative Action (SAM-ILA).. Gave "....Republican candidate for Governor Paul LePage was given a grade of “incomplete” and withdrew his questionnaire following his interview with SAM-ILA."

https://janetmills.com/governor-janet-mills-earns-a-grade-thumbs-up-from-sportsmans-alliance-of-maine-ila/

"“As an avid angler myself, I know how much fishing means to sportsmen and women across Maine,” said Governor Mills. With this investment, we will improve our fish hatcheries to support our outdoor economy and to ensure that generations of fishermen to come will be able to enjoy the great outdoors and the thrill of a brook trout on a tight line.”
The $20 million in federal American Rescue Plan funds dedicated through the Governors Jobs Plan will be used to modernize the Grand Lake Stream and New Gloucester Fish Hatcheries, as well as water outflow at IFWs six other hatcheries. New Gloucester was built in the 1930s, and the fish are still raised in 1930s era earthen raceways which are collapsing. Grand Lake Stream improvements include the installation of new rearing tanks that will safeguard one of the last remaining distinct landlocked salmon populations."  https://thefishingwire.com/20-million-to-rebuild-state-fish-hatcheries-in-maine/

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #138 on: Jan 12, 2023, 03:00 PM »
Relax Ken, go fishing... ;D

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #139 on: Jan 12, 2023, 03:06 PM »
Relax Ken, go fishing... ;D
Post real stuff. Then go fishing...  ;) :icefish: By the way, I'll out fish ya ANY day!! I already HAVE everyday we fished together!!! :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: Yeah, you  caught a 16" crappy one day. Then dragged it around and threw it away after that.... NICE!!  ::) :woot:

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #140 on: Jan 12, 2023, 03:29 PM »
Post real stuff. Then go fishing...  ;) :icefish: By the way, I'll out fish ya ANY day!! I already HAVE everyday we fished together!!! :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: Yeah, you  caught a 16" crappy one day. Then dragged it around and threw it away after that.... NICE!!  ::) :woot:

I don't recall fishing with you but if I did the info is on classified fishing records in my garage next to my lawn mower.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #141 on: Jan 12, 2023, 03:43 PM »
I don't recall fishing with you but if I did the info is on classified fishing records in my garage next to my lawn mower.
Next to your vette?

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #142 on: Jan 12, 2023, 04:11 PM »

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Jan 12, 2023, 05:14 PM »
Grubb lets get together for a jigging session  next week.  We dont live very far apart.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #144 on: Jan 12, 2023, 08:02 PM »
HA! You remember just fine.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #145 on: Jan 13, 2023, 05:19 AM »
Grubb lets get together for a jigging session  next week.  We dont live very far apart.

That's a good idea. I want to fish that hump where Caribou and Chesuncook Lakes come together.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Jan 14, 2023, 07:45 AM »
 ;D ;Dote author=grub662 link=topic=390633.msg4294037#msg4294037 date=1673558988]
[/quote]  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #147 on: Jan 14, 2023, 09:00 AM »
I didnt realize you were related to Donny and Joe.  Russia or China?????????

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Jan 14, 2023, 09:03 AM »
To walk out on my farm pond this morn Id have to walk 30' tru 4" of water

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #149 on: Jan 15, 2023, 07:19 AM »
with bee and MG39.  Two of the greatest fisherman around  Now i know where Arnomally gets his knowledge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.