Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Forums  (Read 2215 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Forums
« on: Dec 05, 2022, 04:10 PM »
Anyone else miss the good old days here? Used to be you would come here this time of year and there would be a dozen new replies to multiple threads. Barely get that many replies in the main general chat. Always felt like you were part of something here. I still check this daily!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Forums
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2022, 10:57 AM »
I miss it too!

Catchin' Fish

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2022, 11:36 AM »
Facebook ruined forums like this.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2022, 11:42 AM »
I think part of that is the longer you're here the less you feel inclined on jumping in on stuff you know darn well has been hashed through dozens of times. Call it lazy, jaded, apathetic but I know if you looked at certain topics and their corollaries, I know I've given the same answer several dozen times. I know there's plenty of new folks here but why should I type again when a simple search would not only turn up my replies but those opinions and experience of many, many others. Ok, maybe lazy...

Movers and shakers come and go. When I jumped on in 2010 there was a guy, SurfLizard, that was very active. Jumped in on lots of stuff but eventually just disappeared. RGfixit was kind of the same deal except I know he peeks in the door once in a while. RebelSS took a few years off but he's back better than ever. Of course there's still the core group that uses IS as a daily morning coffee with the boys in addition to jumping in on topics that interest them.

The other part, for me, is I've taken a step or back the last couple of years. Spending way, waaaaaay too much time online and getting little else done. Had to temper my time and, as a result, my replies.

Maybe it's only a matter of time before someone gets really, really comfortable dealing with the whole site again and stirs lots of pots. You never know. Still a great site with tons of info. It's rare I don't find frequently find something here that is not only new to an old guy, but fit within my realm of experiences enough to make it believable and potentially usable.

Don't forget fellas, if you're not getting anything out of it, consider what you're putting into it.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2022, 12:32 PM »
Surflizard is a good guy. Same with Rebelss. Those 2 are truely some of the best of the best for info. Sorry to say they are both gone from this forum and I am only posting occasionally.  Rebelss and I used to carry on with joking with each other but hey some of these people are only here for info and or all about themselves. Some just like to post what someone else has already posted just to piss the other person off.
<===Lefty===

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2022, 10:39 PM »
I think part of that is the longer you're here the less you feel inclined on jumping in on stuff you darn well has been hashed through dozens of times. Call it lazy, jaded, apathetic but I know if you looked at certain topics and their corollaries, I know I've given the same answer several dozen times. I know there's plenty of new folks here but why should I type again when a simple search would not only turn up my replies but those opinions and experience of many, many others. Ok, maybe lazy...

Movers and shakers come and go. When I jumped on in 2010 there was a guy, SurfLizard, that was very active. Jumped in on lots of stuff but eventually just disappeared. RGfixit was kind of the same deal except I know he peeks in the door once in a while. RebelSS took a few years off but he's back better than ever. Of course there's still the core group that uses IS as a daily morning coffee with the boys in addition to jumping in on topics that interest them.

The other part, for me, is I've taken a step or back the last couple of years. Spending way, waaaaaay too much time online and getting little else done. Had to temper my time and, as a result, my replies.

Maybe it's only a matter of time before someone gets really, really comfortable dealing with the whole site again and stirs lots of pots. You never know. Still a great site with tons of info. It's rare I don't find frequently find something here that is not only new to an old guy, but fit within my realm of experiences enough to make it believable and potentially usable.

Don't forget fellas, if you're not getting anything out of it, consider what you're putting into it.

Exactly, I try to contribute and be involved. I have gotten some amazing tips and I for from folks and have passed it on to many others.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2022, 04:34 PM »
Facebook ruined forums like this.

X2, also YouTube has taken off.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2022, 01:03 PM »
forums have a rough go of it now.  FB and Reddit allow you to aggregate "forums" or groups/pages into a singular location.   

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2022, 04:25 PM »
Rebelss is gone?

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2022, 05:28 PM »
Rebelss is gone?

Shhhh…nobody told him!  ::)
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2022, 09:08 AM »
I also miss iowasportsman's forum.  that place a long time ago was great.  but ownership screwed that one up by taking it down for over a year while "upgrading"it.  now its a barely functioning scrap heap.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2022, 06:26 PM »
I also miss iowasportsman's forum.  that place a long time ago was great.  but ownership screwed that one up by taking it down for over a year while "upgrading"it.  now its a barely functioning scrap heap.
Agree. That forum was great. Snitch always had something to say. That forum was great. I still pop over now and then to check it out, but it needs to just disappear. It’s dead.

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2022, 01:24 PM »
The last time I checked Iowa Outdoors/Iowa Sportsman (yeah, I was there in the IO days) there were like six actual human beings still posting there, and a bunch of bots. Tony got out at the right time, whether he meant to get out before that sort of site became obsolete or not.

I think I recognized most of the six actual people posting there from 2005 or so, meaning no new members sticking around. Pretty much an internet ghost ship.

Things weren't much better on Fishing Minnesota, IDO, or some of my other old haunts the last I looked, either. This site held on better than many, and somehow Lake Link just keeps chugging along.

The hell of it with the FB groups is that they aren't user-friendly: for one thing, it is a lot harder so far as I can tell to pull up information given in the past. Every time someone asks a question you have to reinvent the wheel. But it is much easier to start a FB page than to start and maintain your own website.
The user formerly known as Midnight Rambler.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2022, 08:47 PM »

Yep....so sad they had a very simple forum that was easy to navigate.  The upgrade ended up being a total POS.....won't load or work worth a hoot so everyone quit.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2022, 11:46 AM »
I don't post nearly as much as I use to... I'm more of a lurker now lol!!!  I also cut way back on Internet time and I removed my Facebook account due to all of the negativity that was being posted all the time.  I can honestly say I don't miss FB one bit, but I try and spend more quality time when I do get online.  If the forecast holds, it looks we are going to have a good ice season this year.  Tite lines everyone and good luck!!!

-Shoney

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.